Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need to upgrade suspension, first step?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I am very attuned to the way Camaros drive before and after a STB addition. I have driven Camaros since 1998 continuously.
Well if that's the qualification you're clinging to..... I've been in one continuously since 1991 (a bought new '91 and a bought new '96). I guess I'm more finely attuned than you.

Furthermore, if you're willing to live with a one year break and a different chassis... I've been in an F car since 1987 (first car in high school was a '68 Camaro).

Go get a STB (but don't install it yet), do a whole mess of U-Turns, quick lane changes, sharp highway off-ramps and 90 degree turns in a stock Camaro, then install the STB and do it all over again. Those are a few use cases where you WILL appreciate the change.
I see, you are assuming that a STB was the last thing I did to my car. Wrong. It was one of the first. That and SFCs were installed long before anything else.

Why? Because then as now, it seemed to be the prevailing "common wisdom". I simply didn't know any better at the time and listened to claims such as yours. So you see, I have done exactly what you have outlined.

Finally, let me clear up the definitions of those two words for you....

sub·jec·tive 
–adjective
1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

ob·jec·tive
-adjective
4. being the object or goal of one's efforts or actions.
5. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
6. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

Last edited by Ironhead; 07-23-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stb vs non stb

It's Democrats vs Rebublicans .... Hatfields vs McCoys.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Question

I am going to do shocks and springs first. I am looking at the sport shock set with on-car single adjustable rears that's costs around 990$, and also the sport shock set with off-car single adjustable rears that cost around 890$, and the bilstein HD Shock set for 420$, and also the SLP bilstein shock set for 410$. I am also looking at strano performance 1.2 inch lowering springs.

My questions are: what options do I lose buy purchasing lowering springs? What mods in my possible future could be affected by choice to get lowering springs? Are konis 400 dollars better than the billsteins? For the two billsteins options above why's the difference? For the two koni packages, is it worth the 100$ or so to get the on-car adjustable shocks?

**redracer1
are the shocks and springs I listed above like the ones you told me to look at in your post?

**strano
most of the questions I posted above the redracer question are for you since I found each part on you site.

Thanks for any and all help and thoughts!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Yes on the Koni SA 4/4 on car adj.
I'm sorry i cant compare koni's vs bilsteins as I've never had bilsteins on my car. Is the adj of the on car koni's vs the off car worth it, I'd say yes for me. I adj my rear set up quite often and taking the shocks off each time would suck and dont quote me on this but I think the valving is also better on the 4/4 version.
Any comfort level lost in adding a lowering/performance spring is offset by a better handling/performing car & versatility...not to mention the fun factor. Only other one i can think of is you'd have to be more careful on wheel/tire selection as you'd bring the fenders closer to the tires.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks that helpss alot. I'll be back posting again after I get my new lowering springs and shocks.

Thanks alot for all the help to everyone
Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks that helpss alot. I'll be back posting again after I get my new lowering springs and shocks.

Thanks alot for all the help to everyone
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Cool....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philaeagle51
I am going to do shocks and springs first. I am looking at the sport shock set with on-car single adjustable rears that's costs around 990$, and also the sport shock set with off-car single adjustable rears that cost around 890$, and the bilstein HD Shock set for 420$, and also the SLP bilstein shock set for 410$. I am also looking at strano performance 1.2 inch lowering springs.

My questions are: what options do I lose buy purchasing lowering springs? What mods in my possible future could be affected by choice to get lowering springs? Are konis 400 dollars better than the billsteins? For the two billsteins options above why's the difference? For the two koni packages, is it worth the 100$ or so to get the on-car adjustable shocks?

**redracer1
are the shocks and springs I listed above like the ones you told me to look at in your post?

**strano
most of the questions I posted above the redracer question are for you since I found each part on you site.

I have had bilsteins, they were firm but not harsh if that makes any sense. I had the HD's. The SLP revalved ones are supposedly better if you want lowering springs. From what everybody says the koni's are the cream of the crop, I just got mine on yesterday so I can't really say yet.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I've had Bilsteins (Strano revalves on the front).

I've had Koni 4/4.

I have had the Koni 4/3 combo for several years now and am very happy with them.

I like the "feel" of a monotube.

Bilsteins are monotubes. I may be wrong but I don't believe the Bilsteins I had are available today (different valving). Check with Sam. I gave up the "feel" I liked up front in return for adjustability.

The 3rd gen Koni rears are also monotubes.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, not convinced. My experience is what convinced me.

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Well if that's the qualification you're clinging to..... I've been in one continuously since 1991 (a bought new '91 and a bought new '96). I guess I'm more finely attuned than you.

Furthermore, if you're willing to live with a one year break and a different chassis... I've been in an F car since 1987 (first car in high school was a '68 Camaro).

I see, you are assuming that a STB was the last thing I did to my car. Wrong. It was one of the first. That and SFCs were installed long before anything else.

Why? Because then as now, it seemed to be the prevailing "common wisdom". I simply didn't know any better at the time and listened to claims such as yours. So you see, I have done exactly what you have outlined.

Finally, let me clear up the definitions of those two words for you....
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Koni = lifetime warranty
Bilstein HD = lifetime warranty
SLP Bilstein = 90 day warranty

Lowering spring mean you are likely to scrape even more than now, if your goal is a daily driver & mostly street car, then you ought to think about that.

**redracer1

**strano

Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL, not convinced. My experience is what convinced me.
You are a vendor's wet dream ...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

mitchntx: "No Galileo, the world is FLAT!"

The church of "experts" are not always right.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
You are a vendor's wet dream ...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Launching!

The church of "experts" are not always right.
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you described the origin of your expertise and experience.

Oh wait....

do a whole mess of U-Turns, quick lane changes, sharp highway off-ramps and 90 degree turns
Right.

OP... you can listen to guys who drive their cars hard in competition... or you can listen to this guy. The choice is yours.

*sigh* I'll stop feeding the troll now.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Except that he asked about a DD street car, not competition. Wow, lots of "expert" egos to feed on here.

The OP should do research, evaluate inputs, make choices, apply parts one at a time, and evaluate for himself what is good and makes a difference for the type(s) of driving that he is doing. That is what I did, I spent years researching suspension options before finally moving forward with purchases.

People are taught today not to think for themselves and only listen to "experts" -- if we all did that, the church would still be espousing the world is flat.

OP... you can listen to guys who drive their cars hard in competition... or you can listen to this guy. The choice is yours.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last word ...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

No Mitch not a last word, these guys just fought it out to answer my question the best way they knew how.

I'll finish this with....

A slow clap.... ()clap() .... ()clap() .. ()clap() . ()clap() ()()()()()().........

Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Launching!

No Mitch not a last word, these guys just fought it out to answer my question the best way they knew how.

I'll finish this with....

A slow clap.... ()clap() .... ()clap() .. ()clap() . ()clap() ()()()()()().........

Thanks guys

Well, that whole thread was an interesting read........Good luck to philaeagle51.
I would also check out FRRAX.com if you want more in depth expertise. That site/forum is a lot guys who race F-bodies all the time, like Mitch.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

$65, some people like the STB, some don't. 4.5lbs isn't going to make a difference on a stock-weight street car (won't argue that it wouldn't make a difference on a tube-chassis road race car), so if it doesn't feel like it helped anything, toss it in the FS section.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I've had Bilsteins (Strano revalves on the front).
I've had Koni 4/4. I have had the Koni 4/3 combo for several years now and am very happy with them.
I like the "feel" of a monotube. Bilsteins are monotubes. I may be wrong but I don't believe the Bilsteins I had are available today (different valving). Check with Sam. I gave up the "feel" I liked up front in return for adjustability. The 3rd gen Koni rears are also monotubes.
To the OP: Most guys on here recommend Konis right off the top, but I agree with the post above on liking the "feel" of Bilsteins better - especially up front, although they ARE less responsive than Konis. The important thing to take account of is whether lowering springs are in your future. Many guys who have run Bilsteins with lowering springs have been unhappy with their results, especially after some miles have accummulated. If you're sticking with stock springs, Bilsteins are are a great choice. If lowering springs are in your plans, invest the big bucks and go with Konis.

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade suspension, first step?