Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's a HUGE, MASSIVE misconception that somehow good suspension parts don't matter unless you are racing. Most folks in BMW's don't race, but like the way their cars drive.

It was said before, and I'll say it again. The car, the shocks, the springs, the suspension parts in general do not know where you are driving the car, or how. They deal with mass, movement, and road surfaces. All of which are given things. In fact most race tracks are in better shape than a lot of public roads. So in terms of controlling what it going on, that works the shocks harder than tracking the car. I upgrade because I want a higher level of rebound damping, not because I just want a decent shock (though that is certainly part of it).

It's very, very easy for folks who have no basis for comparison to say "this is good enough". But you know, there are an awful lot of folks who'd settled for cheap stuff only to be disappointed. And many have and do post here about just that. And many of those have moved to Koni's from other things and can (and do) lay out the differences in their posts.

If you compare suspension parts to, I don't know... noise--here's how it works:

Stock shocks are 85 dB
KYB AGX's are 80 dB... a noticeable improvement. Might think that's kick ***. Koni's are 65 dB, a massive amount better than the AGX's, which are in turn some degree better than stock.

And like sound there are tone differences. I know a little 4 cylinder that's 95 dB but all tinny sounds a lot "louder" than an LS1 emitting the same level of dB, but the quality isn't as nice to the ear. That's the subjective part, and there is some of that in suspension tuning too. Which is why having an adjustable shock is kind of nice to have as well.
thanks for the info Sam! I couldnt agree with you more. shows you how valuable and important every little piece is. Thanks

Last edited by TXZ28LS1; 08-18-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hear ya, wish i had money for koni's, but o well. i do have bmr's with the blue tokico's and i would NOT buy them again. i slam bumpstops all day long and jitters inside the lanes over bumps... front ride is great so im looking at swapping my rear shocks for agx's (for the adjustability) or i would do the bilsteins. good luck! just curious, sam how much for just rears?