Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR springs and shocks

Just wonder if I might get someone's attention here. I have the New BMR springs and the stance is killer. I nailed it on the first time with height. Now the for the difficult part, shocks. I have read every post and spoken to Sam Strano and I know what's the best shock to buy. However I don't want the absolute best. This car only has 13,000 miles ( a little less) and I drive it mostly to local car events and a little mountain driving every now and then. I havn't done the mountain thing waiting on shocks. I really like the sound of the Bilstien shocks. Can anyone chime in that has BMR springs and some the shock set ups up have. I pretty much eliminated KYB just because of the reviews. So a non-adjustable shock will fit my needs and then some. HD bilstiens or slp bilstiens or tokico blues. Anybody who has these shocks could you give me your review with these springs? Thanks all.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

What are you willing to give up? It's that simple. Every shock that not a Koni gives up something with lowering springs. Damping ability, ride quality, warranty, adjustment, something.

Selling cheaper stuff is easier, but sometimes cheaper is just that. When folks can't or won't do Koni, generally Bilstein is next on the list. Not because they are ideal for the control because they are still built well, and if you are going to have inferior damping for lowering springs, you might as well have the longest lasting inferior damping.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STREETSLEEPER
Just wonder if I might get someone's attention here. I have the New BMR springs and the stance is killer. I nailed it on the first time with height. Now the for the difficult part, shocks. I have read every post and spoken to Sam Strano and I know what's the best shock to buy. However I don't want the absolute best. This car only has 13,000 miles ( a little less) and I drive it mostly to local car events and a little mountain driving every now and then. I havn't done the mountain thing waiting on shocks. I really like the sound of the Bilstien shocks. Can anyone chime in that has BMR springs and some the shock set ups up have. I pretty much eliminated KYB just because of the reviews. So a non-adjustable shock will fit my needs and then some. HD bilstiens or slp bilstiens or tokico blues. Anybody who has these shocks could you give me your review with these springs? Thanks all.

i also am running the new BMR 1.25 spring. i also love the stance. i didnt have the money to buy a world class shock. i just daily drive my car around. i dont drive it hard or anything. i pretty much baby it. i was lucky to have my buddy give me some kyb gas shocks (white ones) and have no problems at all.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BMRs and KYB adjustable shocks. No complains at all.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chaman

BMRs and KYB adjustable shocks. No complains at all.

Chaman, that is a beautiful car bro!!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've also been looking at the SLP Bilstein shocks with some Strano springs, just haven't had a chance to drop any money into the car since I'm buying a wedding ring. But I haven't done nearly enough research to make a decision just yet. It'd probably take awhile but if someone could post up a pro and con list of each of the mains that'd be awesome. What you give up with each and what you gain with each. Probably extremely subjective... but still would be nice to see someone like Sam's opinion on what would be best and whatnot.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i also am running the new BMR 1.25 spring. i also love the stance. i didnt have the money to buy a world class shock. i just daily drive my car around. i dont drive it hard or anything. i pretty much baby it. i was lucky to have my buddy give me some kyb gas shocks (white ones) and have no problems at all.
While you may be satisfied with the KYB gas-adjusts.. the important thing to keep in mind here for people trying to make a decision is what kind of damping the shocks have. So that's great that you found a shock your happy with, but I doubt most people will like that combination. Aren't those shocks in like "stock replacement" territory?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

BTW, I answered this in the other duplicate thread. No wonder why I couldn't find my response
Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Chaman, that is a beautiful car bro!!
Likewise my friend. I also wanted to point out that this car will not be an autocross car or a strip car. Like I said before mostly just local car car show. I want a decent built shock but I don't want to beat do death. There is no need for absolute rock solid firmness. I have driven the car about 25 miles in the last two months and never got over 55 when I drove it. I baby this thing to point of sickness. I willing to give up some corning ability for comfort. Sam I am listening to your input but Koni's are just not in the budget right now. I realize that it is a give and take situation, and might even be a give and give situation. I really do feel that I can get what I need for 350 to 500 dollars and be happy with it. I will never take this car to those extremes ever. I will dog it a straight line when I take it to the track for an et but that is it. It will remain sitting in the garage under the cover and admired untill a car show rolls around. I really wish I could put the best on it because everything else on it is the best and I will one day but I don't want to ride around on these anymore than I have to. No matter what type of shock I go with it will last a lot longer on this car than they would on a daily driver or just a weekend cruiser for that matter. To sum it all up I want a decent shock with a nice ride. I when I say nice ride I don't mean firmness to an umcomfortable. degree.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Understood that Koni's are not inexpensive. But these are some of the things that need to be thought about first. Everyone buys springs, then just expects there is some great shock that is cheap that can do as good a job.

I carry Bilstein, and KYB, and Tokico too... NONE as nearly on the same level. So you have to make a decision. For me it's Bilstein as the second choice based on the fact they are better built and have less parts to fail. But the valving is a bit weak for long term use with any sort of heavier lowering spring. If not Bilstein, then AGX's because if you are going to run a cheap twin-tube from Japan--might as well have some adjustment to play with. Then Tokico, which are getting hard to get.

What you aren't considering is that the quickest way to a crappy ride is if the shocks aren't up task. Anyone notice their ride gets worse as their shocks wear--even on stock springs? That's because they can't control what's going on.

Bottom line, you are looking at an automatic compromise. I understand the want. You have to understand you did the equivalent of a big camshaft and now want it to work with stock heads and valve springs.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Understood that Koni's are not inexpensive. But these are some of the things that need to be thought about first. Everyone buys springs, then just expects there is some great shock that is cheap that can do as good a job.

I carry Bilstein, and KYB, and Tokico too... NONE as nearly on the same level. So you have to make a decision. For me it's Bilstein as the second choice based on the fact they are better built and have less parts to fail. But the valving is a bit weak for long term use with any sort of heavier lowering spring. If not Bilstein, then AGX's because if you are going to run a cheap twin-tube from Japan--might as well have some adjustment to play with. Then Tokico, which are getting hard to get.

What you aren't considering is that the quickest way to a crappy ride is if the shocks aren't up task. Anyone notice their ride gets worse as their shocks wear--even on stock springs? That's because they can't control what's going on.

Bottom line, you are looking at an automatic compromise. I understand the want. You have to understand you did the equivalent of a big camshaft and now want it to work with stock heads and valve springs.
Your absolutly right, those are likenesses I can compare. Maybe for the time being just ride on what iv'e got untill I save up a couple of months to get Koni's. I need to replace my upper ball joints because the boots were damaged during the spring install. And also do an alignment. I will buy the right shocks for the job from you. You have wore me down like a cheap *****. I'm going to buy the Koni's in about 2 months I have about 500 a month car budget so you win. I tried to avoid you as much as possible just because I knew a rational and Intelligent argument for the right thing would eventually win me over. Good job. I used to be a Auto Fiance manager And I'm a hard nut to crack. I'll talk to you in 2. Just to appease my performance part fix I might just order a sway bar here and a sway bar there or some bushings or sompin. So be prepared.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I also wanted to point out that this car will not be an autocross car or a strip car. Like I said before mostly just local car car show. I want a decent built shock but I don't want to beat do death. There is no need for absolute rock solid firmness.
See this is the thing. I think a lot of people make this assumption that good damping means your shocks have to be as stiff as solid bars that don't move.. and that's just not the case!!! It's about the right amount of compression and rebound. I think I've heard some shocks having too much compression and most having not enough rebound.

I'm not pushing you to get Koni's. From your explaination, you'll probably be satisfied with something less expensive. I just wanted to clarify the misconception that many inexperienced people tend to think that a well dampened car is like riding on solid bars, and it's not the case at all
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Likewise my friend. I also wanted to point out that this car will not be an autocross car or a strip car. Like I said before mostly just local car car show. I want a decent built shock but I don't want to beat do death. There is no need for absolute rock solid firmness. I have driven the car about 25 miles in the last two months and never got over 55 when I drove it. I baby this thing to point of sickness. I willing to give up some corning ability for comfort. Sam I am listening to your input but Koni's are just not in the budget right now. I realize that it is a give and take situation, and might even be a give and give situation. I really do feel that I can get what I need for 350 to 500 dollars and be happy with it. I will never take this car to those extremes ever. I will dog it a straight line when I take it to the track for an et but that is it. It will remain sitting in the garage under the cover and admired untill a car show rolls around. I really wish I could put the best on it because everything else on it is the best and I will one day but I don't want to ride around on these anymore than I have to. No matter what type of shock I go with it will last a lot longer on this car than they would on a daily driver or just a weekend cruiser for that matter. To sum it all up I want a decent shock with a nice ride. I when I say nice ride I don't mean firmness to an umcomfortable. degree.

X10 to what z28bryan said ^^^^^
Your car doesn't know the difference if you are ******* it or not, the suspension is going to be moving all the time, especially on less than smooth streets. And the better dampening you have (see: better does NOT mean stiffer, or harder) the more control you/the car will have and the better the ride will be.
When I put konis on my otherwise stock suspensended car the ride got better. No longer was I slapping and slamming into bumps, skipping over uneven pavement and jarring my teeth out.
If you don't want an uncomfortable ride then you should stay away from shocks that cannot damp your springs very well. The uncomfortable ride will come from the shock allowing the car to slam into its bump stops and bounce off hard. (remember, shocks are about velocity, how quickly they will allow the spring to compress and expand).
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
See this is the thing. I think a lot of people make this assumption that good damping means your shocks have to be as stiff as solid bars that don't move.. and that's just not the case!!! It's about the right amount of compression and rebound. I think I've heard some shocks having too much compression and most having not enough rebound.
I'm dealing with this right now. I have tried 4 settings on my Koni's, and I have not found one yet that is "stiff" enough to suit my tastes. I'm actually kind of annoyed because they feel much softer than I expected. I really, really liked the ride of my bilsteins on stock springs, and I am in the process of trying to get closer to that (make adjustment, ride for a week, make adjustment...). People assume the higher the price, the rougher your ride is, but my car rides like a damn caddilac no matter what I do to it apparently.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I wasn't meaning a good shock has to be stiff. I might have worded it so. I was trying to ask if anyone had those combos for the input on ride quality. From what I see most find that a really firm shock suits there tast. I was trying to find the best ride out of those shocks mentioned. I am well aware that the best of both worlds can be had with the Koni's. I guess I was hoping for a good middle of the road shock. But it seems There's Koni and there is trash, for a lowered f-body that is. Believe me when I say I have wanted to go with Koni's from the start. I started modding cars in 1984 and Koni's were the **** then and they are the **** now. I'm getting a little impatient because we moved, the kids started school, both pets got sick and I'm affraid Im going to have to put my cat to sleep. Iv'e had her 19 years. Anyway all this **** has seriously impaired my perf. parts buying. My thinking was to put a well built shock on that would do untill I could save up a while a get the best set of Koni's for it. As you can see iv'e decided to go with a Koni set. I can't see the logic in putting an inferior shock on for 500 dollars and then turn around and spend a grand again less than a year later. Like Sam said Iv'e never been the one to put a giant cam in without the supporting mods. Just think about it. The shock is something I will feel everytime I drive the car. I may not goose it to feel the power but I will feel the suspension, every single time I get in. I couldn't see it before but to skimp in this endeavor would be assinine. I can believe but do not want to that there is really only one option of good shocks for my application.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Sam if you are out there, PM me, give or take 50 bucks ,on what I would have to have on the first of next month. I know you said there was a price increase at the end of July so I'll need an updated price. The set I spoke to about I think was right around 800 or somewhere in that area. Iv'e got resources to tap into if I dig hard enough.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sam if you are out there, PM me, give or take 50 bucks ,on what I would have to have on the first of next month. I know you said there was a price increase at the end of July so I'll need an updated price. The set I spoke to about I think was right around 800 or somewhere in that area. Iv'e got resources to tap into if I dig hard enough.
The pricing on the website is up to date, and shocks are in stock. 4/3's are $890 shipped, 4/4's are $995 shipped. No price changes coming by next month.

FWIW, I will be closed 9/2-9/13 as I'm headed to SCCA Nationals in Nebraska. So I'd have to have the order by about 5pm *eastern time* 9/1 to get them shipped out--otherwise I can't do it until I get back.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wasn't meaning a good shock has to be stiff. I might have worded it so. I was trying to ask if anyone had those combos for the input on ride quality. From what I see most find that a really firm shock suits there tast. I was trying to find the best ride out of those shocks mentioned. I am well aware that the best of both worlds can be had with the Koni's. I guess I was hoping for a good middle of the road shock. But it seems There's Koni and there is trash, for a lowered f-body that is. Believe me when I say I have wanted to go with Koni's from the start. I started modding cars in 1984 and Koni's were the **** then and they are the **** now. I'm getting a little impatient because we moved, the kids started school, both pets got sick and I'm affraid Im going to have to put my cat to sleep. Iv'e had her 19 years. Anyway all this **** has seriously impaired my perf. parts buying. My thinking was to put a well built shock on that would do untill I could save up a while a get the best set of Koni's for it. As you can see iv'e decided to go with a Koni set. I can't see the logic in putting an inferior shock on for 500 dollars and then turn around and spend a grand again less than a year later. Like Sam said Iv'e never been the one to put a giant cam in without the supporting mods. Just think about it. The shock is something I will feel everytime I drive the car. I may not goose it to feel the power but I will feel the suspension, every single time I get in. I couldn't see it before but to skimp in this endeavor would be assinine. I can believe but do not want to that there is really only one option of good shocks for my application.

If you can't afford it right now, you just can't. The problem is more that lowering springs for these cars tend to be designed for looks before performance, unlike a lot of the import vehicles that have 10 times the amount of options. We have a heavy car that has specific needs, and unfortunately most of the shocks available don't last long with aggressive springs. They may ride exactly how you want, but maybe only for a year or two. Thats the choice you have to make, buy now and possibly have to deal with worn out shocks in 2 years, or wait until you get konis and have them rebuilt in, say, 10 years. I was looking at the same thing a month or so ago, I ordered Sam's springs, and I was thinking of tokicos for the time being until I could afford konis. He didn't have any in stock though, and I ended up deciding not to get some other parts in favor of putting the money towards the konis now instead of running the other shock for a little while and buying them later. Installing shocks is a pain in the *** I don't want to do too often
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

i lowered my car to give my car a nice stance and to get rid of that horrible 4x4 look..

you need to seriously ask yourself how do you really drive your car. if your like me who just wants a nice car to cruise in, doesnt whip it around corners, or goes to the track and beat up on your car then maybe you might not need to spend X amount on shocks and so fourth..

now if your somebody like Sam Strano who does this for a living and knows then sure look into top of the line suspension items for you car. i honestly lowered my car for the looks and appearnce first than i did for the performance part of it.

if it wasnt for my buddy giving me those shocks, i probably would have still lowered my car on stock shocks to see how drivability is. like i said i have the white KYB gas shocks ( not sure how good they are as i got them for free.) but i hardly drive my car.. i maybe drive it less than 10 miles once every 2 weeks.

Last edited by TXZ28LS1; 08-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you need to seriously ask yourself how do you really drive your car. if your like me who just wants a nice car to cruise in, doesnt whip it around corners, or goes to the track and beat up on your car then maybe you might not need to spend X amount on shocks and so fourth..

now if your somebody like Sam Strano who does this for a living and knows then sure look into top of the line suspension items for you car. i honestly lowered my car for the looks and appearnce first than i did for the performance part of it.

if it wasnt for my buddy giving me those shocks, i probably would have still lowered my car on stock shocks to see how drivability is. like i said i have the white KYB gas shocks ( not sure how good they are as i got them for free.) but i hardly drive my car.. i maybe drive it less than 10 miles once every 2 weeks.
It's a HUGE, MASSIVE misconception that somehow good suspension parts don't matter unless you are racing. Most folks in BMW's don't race, but like the way their cars drive.

It was said before, and I'll say it again. The car, the shocks, the springs, the suspension parts in general do not know where you are driving the car, or how. They deal with mass, movement, and road surfaces. All of which are given things. In fact most race tracks are in better shape than a lot of public roads. So in terms of controlling what it going on, that works the shocks harder than tracking the car. I upgrade because I want a higher level of rebound damping, not because I just want a decent shock (though that is certainly part of it).

It's very, very easy for folks who have no basis for comparison to say "this is good enough". But you know, there are an awful lot of folks who'd settled for cheap stuff only to be disappointed. And many have and do post here about just that. And many of those have moved to Koni's from other things and can (and do) lay out the differences in their posts.

If you compare suspension parts to, I don't know... noise--here's how it works:

Stock shocks are 85 dB
KYB AGX's are 80 dB... a noticeable improvement. Might think that's kick ***. Koni's are 65 dB, a massive amount better than the AGX's, which are in turn some degree better than stock.

And like sound there are tone differences. I know a little 4 cylinder that's 95 dB but all tinny sounds a lot "louder" than an LS1 emitting the same level of dB, but the quality isn't as nice to the ear. That's the subjective part, and there is some of that in suspension tuning too. Which is why having an adjustable shock is kind of nice to have as well.