Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How important is panhard bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is panhard bar?

I am basically a total newb when it comes to suspension and just wondering how important it is to upgrade panhard bar to a better one.

I will be installing SFC and STB soon, and was wondering what is next in terms of beefing up my suspension short of a koni sa shocks and whatever springs i choose in the future.

Thanks!

Sid.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower control arms and Panhard bar will make a noticable difference in cornering. Your car will feel much less like the axle wants to come out from under it, and traction will improve. Adjustable ones are a good choice if you plan to lower in the future.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Lower control arms and Panhard bar will make a noticable difference in cornering. Your car will feel much less like the axle wants to come out from under it, and traction will improve. Adjustable ones are a good choice if you plan to lower in the future.
Thanks!

Adjustable panhard bar or adjustable lower control arm (if there is such thing) or both?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are available in many styles, check out BMR or UMI, they are on the right side over there in the sponsors list.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmdz28
Thanks!

Adjustable panhard bar or adjustable lower control arm (if there is such thing) or both?

Adjustable panhard rod is what most people go with, since it allows the rear axle to be centered up side to side - not a big deal at stock height, but the rear needs re-centered after a drop. Non-adjustable panhard rods seem sort of pointless to me, honestly.

Adjustable LCAs are debatable...they allow you to center each wheel fore and aft, but that only really becomes a necessity if you're running some serious meat out back and need to adjust for clearance. The set on my car now is adjustable, and the set I have to put on (when it gets below 100 degrees on the weekend...) is also adjustable, just so I can tweak them if I need to.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went with a on car adj. panhard and non adj LCA's and it is amazing. huge difference in the seat of the pants test!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdz28
I am basically a total newb when it comes to suspension and just wondering how important it is to upgrade panhard bar to a better one.

I will be installing SFC and STB soon, and was wondering what is next in terms of beefing up my suspension short of a koni sa shocks and whatever springs i choose in the future.

Thanks!

Sid.
Depends on what you are going for, it certainly wont hurt to upgrade.
And FWIW a STB on these cars are for looks only, and SFC's have arguable gains. If you are looking for a more solid, planted, stable ride you need good shocks, you won't get it without them (the stock shocks have horrible valving, leaving you with the floaty disconnected feel that can feel like chassis flex). Although you already mentioned it, good shocks (like the konis) should be #1 on your list, everything else takes a step down from that.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
Adjustable panhard rod is what most people go with, since it allows the rear axle to be centered up side to side - not a big deal at stock height, but the rear needs re-centered after a drop. Non-adjustable panhard rods seem sort of pointless to me, honestly.

Adjustable LCAs are debatable...they allow you to center each wheel fore and aft, but that only really becomes a necessity if you're running some serious meat out back and need to adjust for clearance. The set on my car now is adjustable, and the set I have to put on (when it gets below 100 degrees on the weekend...) is also adjustable, just so I can tweak them if I need to.
Both statements above are correct and should help you make a decision. Since it appears you are getting lowering springs I would highly recommend an adjustable panhard bar. A non-adj. panhard bar does serve a purpose adding increase strength and bushing improvement, we have seen stock panhard bars bend. But for the small extra cost I highly recommend an adjustable panhard bar. UMI offers an entire line with many choices seen HERE.

Again for control arms the above statement is a good reason why you would need adjustable control arms. If you don't foresee yourself adding large tires such as a slick to the vehicle there would be no need.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Both statements above are correct and should help you make a decision. Since it appears you are getting lowering springs I would highly recommend an adjustable panhard bar. A non-adj. panhard bar does serve a purpose adding increase strength and bushing improvement, we have seen stock panhard bars bend. But for the small extra cost I highly recommend an adjustable panhard bar. UMI offers an entire line with many choices seen HERE.

Again for control arms the above statement is a good reason why you would need adjustable control arms. If you don't foresee yourself adding large tires such as a slick to the vehicle there would be no need.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
I missed some of the replies, thanks!

I am planning to purchase UMI roto adj PHB and UMI roto adj LCA too. However, as many have suggested, including Sam Strano, I will be saving up for 4/4 Konis and lowering spring first, then other suspension mods will follow. I can tell that the stock shocks are horrible! It gives me a floating feeling at high speed and it feels like the car is all over the place during moderate to normal breaking.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

PHR with adj rod ends- one of THE best mods to my car! More predictable rear end grip, no increase in ride harshness WIN WIN -get one!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

In terms of suspension, handling, etc. the big deals are:

Shocks
Swaybars
Springs

After that then you get into things like your axle location, PHB, Watts link, LCA's, etc.

After that the chassis stuff like SFC's, STB's, etc.

That's not saying any of those things don't offer help to the car.... but it's a matter of how much gain vs. what really makes a huge difference.

I am a UMI dealer--carry their entire product line. Plus my parts, plus other things that UMI doesn't make such as the Watts link. Now, they aren't cheap--but they are worth every penny if you are really looking to make a solid axle car work as well as you can. But never would I do that before the the 3 things on the first list (as long as you are inclined to run lowering springs that is-if not then it'd be shocks, bars, Watts).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: How important is panhard bar?