Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange shocks and Strano springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange shocks and Strano springs?

Anyone have this setup? Will they even work together? The springs have been on the car for a few months and I love them. I heard qa1 shocks are setup for their springs. I was wondering about the Strange single adjustable shocks.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 AM
wrencher

That is a drag shock. Kind of a mis-match with strano springs IMO.
You want the proper shock koni, bilstein etc, even a stock shock over qa1's or strange w/strano springs.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah, that's not going to work well--at all. They won't be able to control the rate, let alone do it in a shorter amount of travel too. It's kind of like asking drag slicks to handle well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well alright. This is pretty much a drag car. On bigs and skinnies 100% of the time. Love the stance of the springs but it looks like I'll be selling them next spring for some new shocks/springs. Strange or QA1's... got some time to decide.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Well alright. This is pretty much a drag car. On bigs and skinnies 100% of the time. Love the stance of the springs but it looks like I'll be selling them next spring for some new shocks/springs. Strange or QA1's... got some time to decide.
I honestly don't undetstand why people pay the money for shocks that act like they are blown out, leaving you with a shitty ride and even worse handling.
There are people out there that get good times with konis, this guy cut a 1.50 60ft: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html
I don't know about you but if Im paying money for something Im not going to sacrifice the way the car drives for a potentially slightly better launch.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

A better launch can really effect your et. I don't drive this car to enjoy nice sunday cruises. I take this out when the sun goes down and tear the roads up! 275/60/15s on rear, skinnies up front, no sway bar, no ac, spool... not exactly my little corner craver anymore.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you are looking for a more drag type setup which I can help you with no problem

Give me a call here at the office and I can go over all of the different choices and the different issues involved with them.....
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I honestly don't undetstand why people pay the money for shocks that act like they are blown out, leaving you with a shitty ride and even worse handling.
There are people out there that get good times with konis, this guy cut a 1.50 60ft: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html
I don't know about you but if Im paying money for something Im not going to sacrifice the way the car drives for a potentially slightly better launch.
The Koni Sports are great shocks and very versatile but not a drag shock. Different people have different priorities. A slightly decreased ride quality in exchange for a few 10ths is a no brainer to a drag race guy. 1.50 is a great 60 ft/time for a street car but that car (from the provided link) has almost 1000 horsepower, it could easily be cutting 1.30 60 ft's.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Um... bear in mind the best the car had done before on a combination of QA1's and AFCO shocks was 1.58. NO OTHER CHANGES were made, and the shocks weren't set dead soft. The customer bought them because he hated the way the drove on the road, and was actually willing to give up a tenth or so for a better driving car. It was a nice result for both of us when he actually went quicker on Koni's.

Believe it or not, you can have too quick weight transfer, and a Koni turned way down mimics a stock damper (not a lot of rebound) pretty well which is why you can still get a pretty decent launch out of them. Are they "drag shocks"? Hell no, but then again most cars aren't full out "drag cars", but usually street cars so it's a matter of what you want--a better driving street car that leaves pretty well, or a car that leaves a touch better (maybe, maybe not) that drives like crap.

And it's nice to say it should have run 1.3's, but we all know that track prep, other parts and all that come into play, and that there are cars with a lot of "drag setup" that don't leave as well as some cars that have fewer parts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Launching!

I have Strano springs in the rear and single adjustable Strange shocks all arround with hypercoils in the front. I went with the Strano rears to lower it to my liking while the front strut/spring combo is height adjustable. My car is a street/drag car. Combo works great for me as far as launching. I think the rear springs are like 150# or something. BMR also sells the rear springs separately so you could go that route also if you'd like to lower the car.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98_LS1
I have Strano springs in the rear and single adjustable Strange shocks all arround with hypercoils in the front. I went with the Strano rears to lower it to my liking while the front strut/spring combo is height adjustable. My car is a street/drag car. Combo works great for me as far as launching. I think the rear springs are like 150# or something. BMR also sells the rear springs separately so you could go that route also if you'd like to lower the car.
You are correct we offer the rears separately.....

I have quite a few customer go with this type setup of Strange and Hypercoils on the front and a set of our lowering springs on the rear also using the Strange shocks in the rear.

Quick Reply: Strange shocks and Strano springs?