Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New torque arm = floating ass

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New torque arm = floating ***

After putting an adjustable torque arm and relocation crossmember on the car, I don't like how it feels. The *** end feels "floaty" in turns now, especially when cresting a hill while going through a turn, which is a condition that wasn't present before putting the torque arm in. Instead of feeling low and planted, the rear end feels like it's floating up and side to side. Pinion angle is set to -2 degrees, and going to -1 and 0 degrees didn't change anything. Front of the arm is on the third set of holes up on the crossmember plate, although I haven't adjusted that because it's a cast-iron bitch to get to.

Car's in the shop for a week or two right now, but aside from changing the position of the front of the torque arm on the crossmember, I'm not really too sure what to look for. All the bolts are tight, the rear springs are seated correctly, and aside from a lot more interior noise from gear whine, everything else seems fine. Didn't change anything else aside from the torque arm and relocation crossmember.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine in without the umi relocation crossmember and it feels great.

I set my pinion angle to -5... equal and opposite the transmission.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

I just installed a UMI adjustable trans mount torque arm over the weekend also, except it's still mounted on the transmission for now until I get a relocation member. It feels great, it feels like it plants the rear more... IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, I think UMI recommends the 2nd hole from the top on the relocation member for a street car. I'm not sure how many mounting holes there are, so you could be on the right spot.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

UMI recommended I start in the third set of holes (4 sets total) from the bottom, based on my setup. I don't really see how that'd make the *** end feel like it's floating, since I thought that was just the instant center point, but once the car's back I'll try changing it.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are getting this feeling while under acceleration, the instant center is too far rearward. The instant center is the lift point of the suspension. Powering through a corner with an instant center that is too far rearward will make the rear feel light and detached from the road. This is why we don't recommend short torque arms for handling applications unless the front mount has height adjustments to compensate.

Lower the front mount and go test on the same road as before. Continue lowering it until the car feels neutral again.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, gotcha. I'll grab a bottle of vodka, move the front down a bit, and re-adjust the rear so the angle is correct again. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

BMR to the rescue lol (on a UMI product)
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Brett. Although this isn't a short style torque arm, it is a full length set up with torque arm relocation kit. The 2nd hole down from the top will be the stock location, which is also the 3rd set up from the bottom so right now you are in the factory location. The stock location should be a great starting point for you (which is where you are now).

Quick Reply: New torque arm = floating ass