Drilled/Slotted

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010 | 05:34 PM
On The Tree

I put drilled Z06 rotors on my car because they look cool
Old 09-26-2010 | 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
SO none of the following are real road race cars?

911 GT3 Cup:
http://seriouswheels.com/pics-2010/n...-1600x1200.jpg

Corvette ZR1 GT2 car (steel brakes):
http://www.auto-power-girl.com/photo...2-2010-20.jpeg

M3 GTR Cup Car:
http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/l...-m3-gtr-05.JPG

Somebody must be confused here, and I kinda doubt it's the race teams with millions of dollars invested in engineering and R&D...
Try a search, this topic has been covered many many times. Drilled rotors are mainly for looks, the only "benift" they have is reducing weight.

From Stoptech:
Which is better, slotted or drilled rotors?

StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.
From wilwood:
Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.
Murciealago R:

C6R:

Zonda R:

Porsche OEM rotor:

Old 09-26-2010 | 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

i cant believe there are still people who think having holes in your rotors help you stop better
Old 09-27-2010 | 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i learn that drill slotted brakes are for mainly japanese imports cause its for looks and show lol jk no offense to anyone
Old 09-27-2010 | 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

There you go. JD AMG's post shows it all right there. I'm not used to posts that have evidence to support an idea around here on ls1tech, so lets wait a little bit before someone else provides more. You're going to give me a heart attack, lol

Did the OP even change his rotors after they warped??? Have you checked them for little cracks?
Old 09-27-2010 | 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by needtransam
i learn that drill slotted brakes are for mainly japanese imports cause its for looks and show lol jk no offense to anyone
I heard from some guy at a local car show that cross drilled and slotted rotors get you into the RCCA (ricer car club of america)
Old 09-27-2010 | 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

...I KNOW I heard this somewhere before.

Where's Mitch and Element....
Old 09-27-2010 | 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I heard from some guy at a local car show that cross drilled and slotted rotors get you into the RCCA (ricer car club of america)
But but but they are the same rotors as the Z06! Do I really need to buy some blanks to make sure I'm not a ricer?
Old 09-27-2010 | 05:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

And we know the Z06 is the end all.... I mean there must be some reason they have one front rotor directionally vaned---THE WRONG WAY. Funny how few folks actually know that.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-27-2010 | 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And we know the Z06 is the end all.... I mean there must be some reason they have one front rotor directionally vaned---THE WRONG WAY. Funny how few folks actually know that.
heh That was the first thing I noticed when I unboxed them! Oh hey look the vanes are directi..... Oh they are both the exact same
Old 10-21-2010 | 03:04 PM
t-1
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Try a search, this topic has been covered many many times. Drilled rotors are mainly for looks, the only "benift" they have is reducing weight.

From Stoptech:

From wilwood:

Murciealago R:

C6R:

Zonda R:

Porsche OEM rotor:

those are pics of carbon rotors. a little different game then they are talking about
Old 10-21-2010 | 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Element
Cross-drilling has nothing to do with cooling the rotor - that's what the vanes in the center of the rotor are for - let alone decreasing warpage. Cross-drilling removes rotor mass, which removes heatsink mass, which means the rotors heat up faster, causing a much increased chance of warping, and the holes create stress points during heat cycling, causing cracks.

Cross-drilled and slotted aren't "useless" as in not functional - they simply provide absolutely no benefits, at all, for a car running anything approximating brake pads that are safe to use on the street, and honestly, I don't even think race pads outgas enough to warrant cross-drilled rotors anymore.

Why do so many road-race guys use blanks if the "big-name performance cars" come with cross-drilled rotors?
Agreed 100%

The holes in rotors are either form being drilled or if the rotor is cast with them in. Brembo, Willwood an the other big names have the rotors cast, not drilled. Hence the price difference and more importantly, the performance difference when pushed hard. The drilling weakens the rotor and under extreme conditions, the rotor can fail as stated by many.

I've been road racing at Road America since 97 and that track will murder brakes faster then anything. I know, I've seen more than my share of wrecks due to brakes failing. Going into turn 5 at that track (in traffic) I'm reeling the car down from 145 to 40 in a few hundred feet... lap after lap, and thats just 1 turn of its 14- theres no way in HELL I'm rolling the dice w/ 2nd rate anything. Matter of fact, in several of the events I help organize and do tech in, we do not allow drilled rotors on the track. Blanks, slotted or CAST holes is what passes tech.

On the street which is pretty much light and medium duty, one may never notice the difference between a blank or crossdrilled rotor. But... up the braking expectations and get some 'real' heat in the brakes and its gonna show.

Last edited by Heat Seeker WS6; 10-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2010 | 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by t-1
those are pics of carbon rotors. a little different game then they are talking about
Argument is still the same.
But here are some iron brakes for you:
C6-R (GT2)

Ferrari F430-R

Quick Reply: Drilled/Slotted