Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drilled/Slotted

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled/Slotted

I think this is the right place for this, if not, mods, do your thing. I bought my car with Drilled/slotted rotors on it already. Long story short, rotors got warped, changed the pads, now the brakes make a high pitched noise, even while not applied. When the brakes are applied the noise does get slightly louder, but it is NOT speed dependent. The noise im hearing does not get louder as I go faster. My question is, are there "certain" pads that these rotors need? The car did not make this noise before the new pads were put on.

Last edited by JustAnotherLS2; 09-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

pads dont warp, only rotors do. you can not turn drilled and slotted rotors. What kind of pad did you replace with? if they are ceramics give them a few hundred miles to break in.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Hello, you might try some ceramic pads if you put semi-metallic's on it.
Brake squealing is produced by high-frequency vibration in the brakes. With disc brakes, vibrations can occur between the pads and rotors; the pads and calipers; the calipers and mounts; and/or within the rotors themselves loose or missing anti-rattle clips, a good cleaning and inspection for loose or missing parts would be a good start too.
Permatex makes a product called disc brake quiet and can be found in most auto parts stores, did you apply any such compound to the back of the pads ??

hope this points you in the right direction and gives you a couple ideas.
good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
pads dont warp, only rotors do. you can not turn drilled and slotted rotors. What kind of pad did you replace with? if they are ceramics give them a few hundred miles to break in.
The pads were replaced with ceramics. I'll give it some time, hopefully you're right. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rychen
Hello, you might try some ceramic pads if you put semi-metallic's on it.
Brake squealing is produced by high-frequency vibration in the brakes. With disc brakes, vibrations can occur between the pads and rotors; the pads and calipers; the calipers and mounts; and/or within the rotors themselves loose or missing anti-rattle clips, a good cleaning and inspection for loose or missing parts would be a good start too.
Permatex makes a product called disc brake quiet and can be found in most auto parts stores, did you apply any such compound to the back of the pads ??

hope this points you in the right direction and gives you a couple ideas.
good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Thanks for the input. Learn someting new every day.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
you can not turn drilled and slotted rotors.

Wrong. Yes you can. I've done it lots of times on Brembos, Wilwood, etc.

To the OP, take your rotors to a competent machine shop and they'll resurface your rotors. If you just did a pad slap without cutting the rotors the glaze on the rotors combined with new pads will sometimes cause squeaking as you are experiencing.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Wrong. Yes you can. I've done it lots of times on Brembos, Wilwood, etc.

To the OP, take your rotors to a competent machine shop and they'll resurface your rotors. If you just did a pad slap without cutting the rotors the glaze on the rotors combined with new pads will sometimes cause squeaking as you are experiencing.
And removing even more material from an already-cut-down (and useless) drilled and slotted design simply means the rotors will heat up faster, be more likely to warp, and more likely to crack.

Why people insist on using drilled and slotted rotor when they offer absolutely no benefits - and are actually less effective and safe than - blanks is unfathomable to me.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
And removing even more material from an already-cut-down (and useless) drilled and slotted design simply means the rotors will heat up faster, be more likely to warp, and more likely to crack.

Why people insist on using drilled and slotted rotor when they offer absolutely no benefits - and are actually less effective and safe than - blanks is unfathomable to me.
So many performance car manufacturers (AMG, BMW's M Group, GM on the Z06's etc.) put ineffective and unsafe brakes that have no benefits on their street cars? Surprising.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Taking .005-.010 off a rotor to clean it up isn't going to render it useless. Why do you think they crossdrill and slot rotors in the first place? Yep, to help cool down the rotor and increase stopping power. Less fade and less warpage occurs.

Like Jimbo98z said, why do so many high end performance cars come equipped with rotors like these if they're so useless as you claim?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
So many performance car manufacturers (AMG, BMW's M Group, GM on the Z06's etc.) put ineffective and unsafe brakes that have no benefits on their street cars? Surprising.
Cross-drilling and slotting has absolutely no benefits for a street car. Cross-drilling was done to allow race pads that outgassed under high temperature to keep from building a gas buffer between the pads and the rotors. Slots were used to constantly "refresh" the face of the pad. Neither have any use on a street car.

Cracking due to cross-drilling can be minimized if the rotors are cast with the holes, rather than actually having them drilled, but you still create stress risers.

Why do the expensive cars have them? Same reason people with cheap cars have them - looks. Take a look at what the real auto-cross and road race guys are running - not cross-drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Taking .005-.010 off a rotor to clean it up isn't going to render it useless. Why do you think they crossdrill and slot rotors in the first place? Yep, to help cool down the rotor and increase stopping power. Less fade and less warpage occurs.

Like Jimbo98z said, why do so many high end performance cars come equipped with rotors like these if they're so useless as you claim?
Cross-drilling has nothing to do with cooling the rotor - that's what the vanes in the center of the rotor are for - let alone decreasing warpage. Cross-drilling removes rotor mass, which removes heatsink mass, which means the rotors heat up faster, causing a much increased chance of warping, and the holes create stress points during heat cycling, causing cracks.

Cross-drilled and slotted aren't "useless" as in not functional - they simply provide absolutely no benefits, at all, for a car running anything approximating brake pads that are safe to use on the street, and honestly, I don't even think race pads outgas enough to warrant cross-drilled rotors anymore.

Why do so many road-race guys use blanks if the "big-name performance cars" come with cross-drilled rotors?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Cross-drilling and slotting has absolutely no benefits for a street car. Cross-drilling was done to allow race pads that outgassed under high temperature to keep from building a gas buffer between the pads and the rotors. Slots were used to constantly "refresh" the face of the pad. Neither have any use on a street car.

Cracking due to cross-drilling can be minimized if the rotors are cast with the holes, rather than actually having them drilled, but you still create stress risers.

Why do the expensive cars have them? Same reason people with cheap cars have them - looks. Take a look at what the real auto-cross and road race guys are running - not cross-drilled and slotted rotors.
Cross-drilling has nothing to do with cooling the rotor - that's what the vanes in the center of the rotor are for - let alone decreasing warpage. Cross-drilling removes rotor mass, which removes heatsink mass, which means the rotors heat up faster, causing a much increased chance of warping, and the holes create stress points during heat cycling, causing cracks.

Cross-drilled and slotted aren't "useless" as in not functional - they simply provide absolutely no benefits, at all, for a car running anything approximating brake pads that are safe to use on the street, and honestly, I don't even think race pads outgas enough to warrant cross-drilled rotors anymore.

Why do so many road-race guys use blanks if the "big-name performance cars" come with cross-drilled rotors?
Should I ditch the rotors for OE style replacements? If there is no significant benefit, like stated above, than I guess thats whats going to happen.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SO none of the following are real road race cars?

911 GT3 Cup:

Corvette ZR1 GT2 car (steel brakes):

M3 GTR Cup Car:

Somebody must be confused here, and I kinda doubt it's the race teams with millions of dollars invested in engineering and R&D...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

What about Oil, I hear Royal Purple is better then penzoil.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

SO none of the following are real road race cars?

Somebody must be confused here, and I kinda doubt it's the race teams with millions of dollars invested in engineering and R&D...
I don't think those guys are using off-the-shelf Hawk or EBC pads, or cheap drilled rotors. Wonder if I should grab a couple pictures of top fuel brakes, just to round things out? I doubt those guys are putting tens of thousands of miles on those brakes, and if you look, you'll find plenty of pictures of supercar cross-drilled brake rotors with hairline cracking. You think they keep running cracked rotors when it inevitably happens? Brakes for dedicated track cars are as different as street car brakes as a pro stock engine is from a Honda's.

Irrelevant anyway, but the only picture you posted that actually has cross-drilled rotors is the Porsche. The M3 and ZR1 both have slotted rotors, which have already been discussed (pointless on a street car, used for a reason on a track car). Likewise, said slots have absolutely nothing to do with cooling the rotor, nor do they lend themselves to doing anything beneficial on a street car other than eating pads more quickly.

There are plenty of good threads about cross-drilled and slotted vs blanks in the suspension section, and plenty of good white pages on brake manufacturer sites if you want to read up on it. I'm going to /hijack before I get mod-slapped.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the discussion in this post..LOL. From what I have always researched to the original OP is that for strictly just a street car it's probably better to just get blanks unless you go to a high dollar cross driller/slotted rotor. Depending on the number of miles you have on your brakes I would try and take it to a reputable brake shop and see how much they can take off the rotor and see if the noise goes away. Your car already came with them so why not try that first. If it still is there then new rotors aren't that expensive for these cars. Just get all 4 new ones.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are plenty of good threads about cross-drilled and slotted vs blanks in the suspension section,
I know where there's one

Thank God this didn't get started in the Brake Section!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
I love the discussion in this post..LOL. From what I have always researched to the original OP is that for strictly just a street car it's probably better to just get blanks unless you go to a high dollar cross driller/slotted rotor. Depending on the number of miles you have on your brakes I would try and take it to a reputable brake shop and see how much they can take off the rotor and see if the noise goes away. Your car already came with them so why not try that first. If it still is there then new rotors aren't that expensive for these cars. Just get all 4 new ones.
Thats what I'll do. The pads have about 1000 miles on them. I assume they dont need to be changed.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

drilled/slotted rotors cause less contact surface area between the pad and rotor...therefore causing less friction and worse brakes....that is as long as your not on a track heating up really hot...

Quick Reply: Drilled/Slotted