Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LG g-stop c5 conversion bracket owners... come in

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LG g-stop c5 conversion bracket owners... come in

Just wondering if you looked at the way your brackets were machined before you installed them. I just bought a set and I think the machining is off.

The channels that are sunk down into them that accept the caliper abutment brackets are not machined down to the same level. Think it will result in the caliper sitting crooked. The circular inset is roughly 0.040" shallower than the other side (the "L" shape groove that is open on one side).

Anthony at LG was going to check with his supplier for intended dimensions, but in the mean time, I just want to know if any of you have had an issue where this occurred/ and caused any 'crookedness' issues. And if so, what did you do to address it?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
brkt machine depth.bmp (326.3 KB, 276 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

bump for help!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have problems with mine.
Just because the ends are not the same depth doesn't mean they are defective.
Did you measure the abutment bracket too?
There's one way to find out for sure.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you figure out the problem?

I have not had any problems whatsoever with mine in the 2 months they have been installed. Night and day difference for me as far as braking performance. That's going from "warped" drilled rotors and crappy pads to the LG setup with C5 size brembo blanks and hawk hps pads. Very smooth braking for me. Nothing indicating that the caliper is crooked.

The closest I got to measuring the brackets before installing them was just to test fit them. All I did was put on the new rotor and then install the LG bracket and the stock abutment bracket. The rotor was right in the middle of the opening in the bracket, which is where it should be.

The main thing that I did have some trouble with was getting the correct size and length bolts to bolt the LG bracket to the car and to bolt the abutment bracket to the LG bracket. For each side I ended up using 1 of the bolts that LG sent me and 3 stock f-body rear abutment bracket mounting bolts, which were longer and provided more thread engagement than the LG bolts. If you need more information about this, I can help you out.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Nope- not done with this yet.

I did a fit up over the weekend:
First off, in order to get the caliper bracket to sit somewhat "flat" and align with the hole on the LG brkt, I had to clearance the caliper bracket (corners on the mounting pad from the flashing on the casting)... not too big of deal, but something I had not expected to do.

Second, due to the difference in machine height I showed before, the caliper brkt does not sit level on the LG brkt. What I did was to tighten the side that was "shallow" depth (the circular counterbore) first. The gap it creates on the other side is about 0.040" as I had measured previously. Leaving that side untightened, the caliper brkt had perfect alignment to the rotor, with equal gaps between the caliper brkt and rotor (side-to-side and top-to-bottom). When I tightened the other side of the LG brkt, it caused the caliper brkt to bend as it drew down.... and caused un-equal gaps between the rotor and caliper brkt.

Third, the bolts LG provides are of inadequate length @25mm. For maximum thread engagement, we need 32mm under the head length (at all positions).

I sent this info to Anthony @ LG, and he was going to check into it. Still waiting for response.

Last edited by Fish-man; 10-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fish-man
When I tightened the other side of the LG brkt, it caused the caliper brkt to bend as it drew down.... and caused un-equal gaps between the rotor and caliper brkt.

Third, the bolts LG provides are of inadequate length @25mm. For maximum thread engagement, we need 32mm under the head length (at all positions).

I sent this info to Anthony @ LG, and he was going to check into it. Still waiting for response.
Some pictures of what is happening might be helpful. However, just from your description of the caliper mounting bracket bending as you tightened it to the LG bracket doesn't sound good at all. You probably need to get a replacement set of LG brackets if they are off that much.

Also, I just noticed from the picture in your first post that both of your brackets look identical. They should be different for each side. Are you just having problems with one of the brackets? Sorry that I'm stupid and didn't take any pictures of my install to give you some guidance, but you might find this website helpful: http://xse.com/leres/ss/brakes.html

Also, although I found the product to be very good, the customer service from LG was lackluster most of the time. As I mentioned, I also had problems with getting the right bolt size. The first ones they sent me were totally wrong in diameter and length. The next 4 they sent were the correct diameter and were about 30 mm long "under the head length." This was the perfect length for use on the bottom hole in the bracket where the bolt has to be flush with the surface of the bracket. However, I felt it was too short for use in the top, so I used a longer rear caliper bracket mounting bolt in the top. I also used rear caliper bracket mounting bolts to bolt the front caliper bracket to the LG bracket. They were long enough that I was comfortable with the amount of thread engagement, and they were short enough that they didn't run into the rotor. LG should step up here and send all 8 bolts of the correct size and length that are needed for the install. They should also send instructions- wouldn't have to be much, just something with some pictures and some recommended tightening torques.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, the first shipment was 2 of the same side.
second shipment was a set rh/lh
all 4 pieces are machined in such a way that they would bend my caliper brkts.

having trouble posting pics right now, but i think you get the drift

Quick Reply: LG g-stop c5 conversion bracket owners... come in