Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggetions for Autocross Brake Redo this Winter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Well, I would advise all to do a little homework regardless, for safety's sake:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Brake_Lines

Out of curiosity, have you ever had stock or SS lines fail on you? I would be curious to hear your experiences...
A good read, but honestly I don't think I'm going with stainless lines anyway. Don't think there really necessary for my needs. I only autocross around my region, not like I do national events. Rather spend my cash on better rotors ect.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, I would advise all to do a little homework regardless, for safety's sake:
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Brake_Lines

Out of curiosity, have you ever had stock or SS lines fail on you? I would be curious to hear your experiences...
Wow.... Hey, it's on web, it MUST be true. <rolleyes>
The lines are just that, lines... hose that move fluid. They don't magically make the brake *system* work differently. If you break ANY line you'll lose a lot most of your brakes (you'd still have some as most cars do has dual circuits for safety).

I don't get you sometimes liberty. You are so willing to believe so much of the web from folks you don't know or have never talked to. But then you want to fight what folks you do know and have talked to (and know this particular car very well) tell you. Leaves me scratching my head.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ripped the front brake lines out on a K5 Blazer when wheeling once (stock brake lines don't like 5" lift and 35s). Went from lots of pedal to no pedal pretty damned quick. What was really fun is that I was doing a hill descent, and the truck didn't have an e-brake, either.

Braided lines going wouldn't be any more "dramatic" - a popped brake line is a popped brake line. You lose hydraulic pressure and your pedal ist kaput.

Per the link you posted, any brake line can burst, not just braided steel ones. Any can separate from the end fitting also, that's just a product of the quality of the part (I've had OEM GM oil lines and power steering lines catastrophically blow out on me, which doesn't lend me much confidence in stock brake lines). There used to be rumors floating around of dirt getting between the braided sheath and the inner brake line causing wear and friction that would eventually cause the inner line to rupture - I know the Black Widow braided lines I put on my Blazer had a thick vinyl sheath over top of the braiding, and I think (although I can't remember for sure) the braided lines I bought from Sam a little while back have the same type of vinyl sheath (which reminds me, I really need to get that stuff put on the car).
Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Encouraging folks to do some reading and due diligence for safety is always prudent. I typically spend a lot of time reading up about any modification I am interested in before a purchase.

Of course some of what you read is true or has part-truths, and some is skewed and sometimes wrong. The best thing everyone can do is think for themselves, gather the information, separate the wheat from the chaff, check sources and question "authority".

Nobody is fighting here, not sure where that comment came from.

I did ask if you had any brake line breaking experiences, to which you did not reply...

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Wow.... Hey, it's on web, it MUST be true. <rolleyes>
The lines are just that, lines... hose that move fluid. They don't magically make the brake *system* work differently. If you break ANY line you'll lose a lot most of your brakes (you'd still have some as most cars do has dual circuits for safety).

I don't get you sometimes liberty. You are so willing to believe so much of the web from folks you don't know or have never talked to. But then you want to fight what folks you do know and have talked to (and know this particular car very well) tell you. Leaves me scratching my head.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Encouraging folks to do some reading and due diligence for safety is always prudent. I typically spend a lot of time reading up about any modification I am interested in before a purchase.

Of course some of what you read is true or has part-truths, and some is skewed and sometimes wrong. The best thing everyone can do is think for themselves, gather the information, separate the wheat from the chaff, check sources and question "authority".

I did ask if you had any brake line breaking experiences, to which you did not reply...

But you don't questions "authority" when it's information you got elsewhere, in fact you seem hugely willing to pass it off like it's fact. Case in point this NSX brake line thing. Someone who doesn't know jack about how these things works failed a line on his wannabe super car and then stainless lines become bad? Others get it, any time a line fails that's not good but the result is nothing to do with a stainless line but a failed brake line (material not important). And a stainless line isn't made of kryptonite, folks can damage them any number of ways. If you smash your suspension and pull the line hard you might break it too.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

^ Really not trying to pass off information at links as fact -- more that I am encouraging everyone to do some reading and learn before pulling the trigger on parts is all.

Obviously there is better pressure retainment with SS lines, hence the improved pedal feel -- I would expect more of a pop with an SS line failure than the rubber hose stockers.

Also worth noting is GM uses SS lines already in the 4th Gens -- look under the hood at the braking system, one wonders if it is just due to cost that they did not include them in the rest of the system...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

No one would disagree with you that doing your homework and reading up is a bad idea. Though you still need to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Of course that makes it hard for amateurs to learn when they have all this info out there that's wrong and have no way of telling so. And I don't mean to disrespect but I think you've fallen into this category. You read something that someone with good experience and knowledge has on a certain category and then question them and sometimes tend to ignore a lot of what's told to you. Questioning isn't wrong, but sometimes you come across as a d*ck the way you ask things. No offense!! Just trying to help!

Yes SS brake lines can rot out too depending on the way they are built. If the SS lines are doing anything, they'd be preventing any balooning that the rubber lines would, maybe slightly causing a better brake pedal feel. I honestly don't know though so don't take my word for it. When I put mine on, I did a package install so there were many factors that made my brakes feel better. They aren't going to provide stronger braking force though, I can tell you that.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

^ Really not trying to pass off information at links as fact -- more that I am encouraging everyone to do some reading and learn before pulling the trigger on parts is all.

Obviously there is better pressure retainment with SS lines, hence the improved pedal feel -- I would expect more of a pop with an SS line failure than the rubber hose stockers.

Also worth noting is GM uses SS lines already in the 4th Gens -- look under the hood at the braking system, one wonders if it is just due to cost that they did not include them in the rest of the system...
A broken brake line is a broken line. If your house falls down does it matter how it fell down? If an airplane had a door fly off in flight and depressurize do you think it matters how quickly the door left the airplane? Losing pressure is losing pressure and a hole in a pressurized system is the issue, not the material the hole is in.

Why does GM use steel lines under the hood? Heat, they are better at dealing with heat. Rubber is cheaper, which is why you see them under the car where temps aren't generally as high.

I've had a stainless line fail (because it had be damaged in an accident). The loss of brakes that resulted was less scary than when my master cylinder failed and the car never leaked a drop of fluid externally because I lost ALL my brakes right away. At least with a brake line you have some remaining stopping power because of the dual circuit system.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with what you said except about coming across -- text is a poor way to communicate -- no body language, no intonations, no eye contact, etc.

SS lines do provide what is perceived as stronger braking pressure (I never said force), just by the nature of maintaining the line pressure more consistently than stock.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
No one would disagree with you that doing your homework and reading up is a bad idea. Though you still need to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Of course that makes it hard for amateurs to learn when they have all this info out there that's wrong and have no way of telling so. And I don't mean to disrespect but I think you've fallen into this category. You read something that someone with good experience and knowledge has on a certain category and then question them and sometimes tend to ignore a lot of what's told to you. Questioning isn't wrong, but sometimes you come across as a d*ck the way you ask things. No offense!! Just trying to help!

Yes SS brake lines can rot out too depending on the way they are built. If the SS lines are doing anything, they'd be preventing any balooning that the rubber lines would, maybe slightly causing a better brake pedal feel. I honestly don't know though so don't take my word for it. When I put mine on, I did a package install so there were many factors that made my brakes feel better. They aren't going to provide stronger braking force though, I can tell you that.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree with what you said except about coming across -- text is a poor way to communicate -- no body language, no intonations, no eye contact, etc.

SS lines do provide what is perceived as stronger braking pressure (I never said force), just by the nature of maintaining the line pressure more consistently than stock.
That's ok, just keep that up then if you choose to. I've seen you **** off Mitch, Sam, and Ironhead before and I haven't seen anyone do that to all three. Maybe that should be considered an accomplishment, haha. Maybe you just need to work on your internet communication skills
Old 10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Force = pressure * area. So yes, in a rubber line you will have decreased pressure as the area increases to get the same braking force. However, as the area is increasing, you also push through a slightly larger volume of fluid.

Basically, it's not worth arguing because the differences are soooo slight. Either way, breaking a line is not good, but breaking a rubber line compared to a steel line isn't going to magically save your *** in case of an accident. As mentioned, GM used braided steel lines under the hood, and rubber lines by the wheels to save money as there is less heat, and if this was a safety issue I don't think it would be designed this way.

Quick Reply: Suggetions for Autocross Brake Redo this Winter.