Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm wont reinstall, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torque Arm wont reinstall, HELP!

i just finished my m6 swap and am reinstalling everything. I got to the Tq Arm and slid it in the bracket on the side of teh t56 and it now wont line back up with the rear end.

The pinion looks like it has rotated and is now pointing upward. I can even slide the bolt through becuase the holes are about .5" off in the rear and about 1.25" off in the front.

I have no clue how to get this back on. it seems like if i could rotate the rear end downward, everything would go on, but i dont know how (or even how it got messed up in the first place) I never disconnected the LCA's or PHB. please help!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put the rear on first then the front. Either way I use a jack on the rear end on the panhard bar mount slowly jack it up and the rear end will rotate
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I always put the rear on first then the front. Either way I use a jack on the rear end on the panhard bar mount slowly jack it up and the rear end will rotate
I thought about trying to put the rear on first, but how exactly would you get the bushing in the clamshell on the trans that way? mabey im overlooking something or thinking too much, but i dont see how that would work.

plus my pinion angle looks so exaggerated that if i secured it to the rear, it looks like it would hit the top of the tunnel.

but thanks, for the answer. im looking for anythign right now. my swap is two bolts away from being done.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

If you have a poly mount bolt on the rear first then you can pull on the torque arm to get it into the clamshell. With no weight on the rear end you can actually rotate it pretty easy. But the easiest thing I've found is to do like I said and put a jack on the rear end to rotate the pinion down. Just put the jack where the phb mounts to the rear end.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I did. Just pull up real hard. Kinda tough to hold up there. Done a couple of them though. Good luck man.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, ill give that a try.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

When you push it up just slide it into the groove and hold it tight. Then slide the top bolt in.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too!

A small bottle jack or scissors jack will rotate the rear end for you.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

jack under the rear end and remove the lower shock bolts so that you can lower the rear as much as possible (make sure the shocks lower stud does not get caught on anything). Move the rear up and down in small increments until you can get the TA to slide over the rear. Done mine about 4-5 times and it worked every time. Good luck man!

Also, I slide the front of the TA into the bushing first, then line it up with the rear end, not really sure how you would do it the other way around.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
Also, I slide the front of the TA into the bushing first, then line it up with the rear end, not really sure how you would do it the other way around.
Thats what i was thinking as well.

Im gonna try that, but unfortunately ive got a busy week so i wont be able ot touch the car until probably Friday, so itll have to wait until then.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Me too!

A small bottle of Jack or scissors jack will rotate the rear end for you.
Fixed. That should make it painless
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Fixed. That should make it painless
Even if it doesn't, you won't care!!

PS, what I should have added is this...Place the jack under the panhard bar mount on the rear axle, and use it to rotate the rear until the torque arm lines up.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
jack under the rear end and remove the lower shock bolts so that you can lower the rear as much as possible (make sure the shocks lower stud does not get caught on anything). Move the rear up and down in small increments until you can get the TA to slide over the rear. Done mine about 4-5 times and it worked every time. Good luck man!

I've only done mine a couple of times but it seems easy to me. I mount everything to the tranny after I bolt th tranny in. I always leave the torque arm bolted to the rear end. Then I slide it up there hold them together, slide the bolt all the way through. Then tighten the bolt and nut down. Takes about 10 mins.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

This worked. Couple pumps of the jack right under PHB worked great. So just In case anyone in the future wants to know, there it is. I left the front installed as well so I didn't have to undo the bushings and the bracket.

Quick Reply: Torque Arm wont reinstall, HELP!