Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Torque Arm Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need Torque Arm Advice

Just finished installing a new McLeod clutch and this thing grips real good. My problem now is wheel hop, really can't slip the clutch as easily and now and I am getting a ton of wheel hop (shudder-bang-bang) whenever I try to accelerate in 1st from a stop light... It's really annoying!

I just replaced my tranny mount with a new 1le mount. I already have BMR control arms, relocation brackets, an adjustable panhard rod, and SLP subframe connectors, so I would imagine that the torque arm is what I need next. My car is lowered 1.5-2" with an Eibach Pro kit, and I am not running long tubes or true duals. The car sees long stop and go commutes and is my daily driver so I would really like to transfer the least amount of noise and vibration into the cabin as possible.

Any recommendations???
Spohn, Madmann, BMR, Edelbrock?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LG Motorsports.

Simple, functional, easy to install, doesn't interfere with aftermarket exhaust or subframe connectors ... and it works!
Old 02-05-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I can probably knock 2 off your list.

The word on the Madman is it only works on cars with true duals.

The spohn is great for a drag racer, but for a primarily street car, it is noisy and also hangs low. Being lowered already, I think that problem would be made worse on your car.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Thanks Mitch! (and NHRATA)
Did a little research on it, and it looks like the LG arm is the one for me.

Now If Lou would only run another one of his 25% off specials like he did during x-mas...

My timming always sucks!

Last edited by BlackHawk; 02-05-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
The word on the Madman is it only works on cars with true duals.
I guess I need to see that. I can't visualize why it wouldn't work on with regular exhaust set-ups.

BlackHawk ...
Don't settle, using the "good enough" excuse.

It's been my experience that when I settle on something, I wind up spending the money on the good parts later.

Buy good stuff and only buy it once.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Where can you get the LG torque are at?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

www.lgmotorsports.com
Old 02-06-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll second Mitch's LG TA recommendation. Its lighter than stock, fits within the stock TA's envelope (actually it seems to be smaller thus providing more clearance), is a snap to install, and I noticed very little if any gain in interior noise/vibration with it installed - even with the Heim joint up front. Definitely a great piece IMO.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=mitchntx]I guess I need to see that. I can't visualize why it wouldn't work on with regular exhaust set-ups.

[QUOTE]

Thats what I've been told. But I looked at pics on his site. Since it is one that relocates the front mount off the trans, there is a long front crossmember the TA attaches to that runs all the way out to the frame of the car. I could see where this might cause clearance problems with the stock y pipe setup.

See if I can get this to work:
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran a LG for awhile and had minor vibration.Checked the pinion angle and it was -4 (way too much) Ended up with a SPOHN.(too much road noise for DD)

I would suggest a BMR regular mount for your setup.Atleast you can set the pinion angle unlike the LG.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

I have the Spohn tranny mount TQ arm and I love it. Not really a noticeable vibration or road noise increase. I also have a lowered car with LT hedders, so they hang lower than anything else on there. Just don't get the TQ arm that mounts to the tunnel brace location because then you WILL be too low. The Spohn TQ arm that mounts to the tranny is adjustable and tucks up nice on lowered cars. Set the pinion angle to -1 for a street driver and -2 to -3 for a drag style and you will definately "feel" a difference.