Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

cant get rid of wheel hop!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cant get rid of wheel hop!

ever since i installed a moser 9 inch rear end i had really bad wheel hop, originally thought it was cause no sway bar so i bought an upgraded sway bar with the 9inch kit, it helped a very small amount but still had wheel hop, noticed and others pointed out that it sits now about 1/2 inch to an 1 inch higher in the rear too and some one said my pinion angle is bad and thats why, so i order a nice UMI adjustable torque arm, set it = to my stock one then installed it and cranked the pinion angle down maybe 1/4inch to an 1/2 inch, if it lifted the vehicle it would push axle down which puts the drive shaft at more of an angle which puts pinion angle up more so i lowered it down (assuming my theory is correct) well after install i went out drove it did some good pulls/semi launches (a few burnouts etc) it did a lot better in 1st but still going into 2nd it hops and if i down shift from 3rd or 4th to 2nd at a roll and nail it and spin it wheel hops bad, what else should i get, what should i check? its getting kinda frustrating : / , im getting no drive line vibes ether at high speeds
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have after market lower control arms for the rear?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ some adjustable LCA's would be my first purchase to fix wheel hop.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

ya thats probably (and only thing) the next thing ill be getting is on car adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets, was hoping the torque arm would fix it though, what made it do it by switching to 9 inch yall think? the more power getting to ground or just the geometry?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
ya thats probably (and only thing) the next thing ill be getting is on car adjustable LCAs with relocation brackets, was hoping the torque arm would fix it though, what made it do it by switching to 9 inch yall think? the more power getting to ground or just the geometry?

your 9" doesn't have the relocation brackets on it already?? that is prob your issue. I know I will be getting LCA relocation brackets welded to my 9" when I get it.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ToxicWS6
ever since i installed a moser 9 inch rear end i had really bad wheel hop, originally thought it was cause no sway bar so i bought an upgraded sway bar with the 9inch kit, it helped a very small amount but still had wheel hop, noticed and others pointed out that it sits now about 1/2 inch to an 1 inch higher in the rear too and some one said my pinion angle is bad and thats why, so i order a nice UMI adjustable torque arm, set it = to my stock one then installed it and cranked the pinion angle down maybe 1/4inch to an 1/2 inch, if it lifted the vehicle it would push axle down which puts the drive shaft at more of an angle which puts pinion angle up more so i lowered it down (assuming my theory is correct) well after install i went out drove it did some good pulls/semi launches (a few burnouts etc) it did a lot better in 1st but still going into 2nd it hops and if i down shift from 3rd or 4th to 2nd at a roll and nail it and spin it wheel hops bad, what else should i get, what should i check? its getting kinda frustrating : / , im getting no drive line vibes ether at high speeds
Couple of things to consider...
1. LCAs as mentioned
2. Shocks could be getting weak or just bad shocks
3. Normally the reason the car sits up higher in the rear after an aftermarket rear swap is due to the axel housing being larger in diameter. You could try the "hose mod" to drop it down a little.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

LCAs ill get next paycheck i guess, wanted to get those anyway to finish my whole rear end suspension but lol, and i checked the shocks a month ago and went to replace them with the top shelf shocks from pep boys (ya not sayin much but) and my stock 102k mile ones were stiffer and felt better so i put them back on and returned them lol, and ya the housing is bigger, whats the "hose" mod?

o and nah my 9 inch didnt have relocation ones on it, looks same as stock : \

Last edited by ToxicWS6; 11-30-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lca's and i got real bad wheel hop with my s60. I had lca brackets on my 10bolt and i tell you i never had any wheel hop period...it was either spin or hook. Next time I get a chance I'm gonna get some lca brackets and weld them on my s60...fwiw i have a umi adjustable torque arm also
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 AM
9 Second Club

whats the "hose" mod?

Basically you pull your springs out, take the thick rubber spring isolator off and replace it with a heater hose. You pretty much just cut a piece like 8-10 inches long and slide it over the spring. This usually drops the car about 1/2 inch....
Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

a good set of shocks and lca's/relocation brackets are the best thing for you right now. the wheel hop will destroy driveline parts so you definitely want to get tit taken care of. we have all the parts you need. feel free to pm or call us and we'll get ya hooked up!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

ight ill get relocation brackets too not that much more, i like the idea of the hose mod, will that also work for the front though? it sits good and even now like maybe an 1/4 inch higher in the back which dosnt look bad, just dont want that rear sag look goin on, and whats a good upgrade shock i could get thats not like $500 for a set? or is that pretty much what im looking at lol and are they worth the $500 (or whatever)? and a link to a good set would be appreciated or just brand/site to go too, thanks guys
Old 11-30-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got my set of koni's, the "off car" adjustable ones for i think $250 for the pair, and yes they are worth their weight in gold. you can save some $ by the off car version, to adjust them i just loosen the top nut and let the rear hang a little, and i can adjust them ON the car...

i deal with BMR, so id recommend them. though im surprised no one has mentioned sam strano yet... he has them as well... n look thru the sponsor sales threads too
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no hose mod for the front. If the mod would lower the rear too much, and if you don't mind the height that it's at now, then I'd just leave it.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

ya i wouldnt mind a 1/2 lower but would like it to be evenly around is all, and ight thanks ill take a look at the konis
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

man I hope you get taken care of, I do not want to dis-hearten you , I have been fighting the
"wheel hop" the last 8 years ( first 2-3 years could NOT make it HOP IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE )I have tried OE high and lowered 2 " around/ differant pieoin angles/adjustable TA/body mount/OE springs/drag springs/air bags/OE shocks AND QA1 12 way adjustables/ adjustable LCA/relco brackets with 4 settings/adjustable PHB/23 mm drag bar/no front sway bay/4-5 differant street tires/Nitto drag radials/MT drag radials/ 10 BOLT /3.23 AND 3.73/ OE Auborn poss / 10 bolt with locker and now with 9"/locker/4.11 AND still have "hop"

( I know my spelling/grammer needs help also)
Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 12-01-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

damn dude, that sucks, im thinkin these LCA brackets are gunna do it cause the torque arm got rid of my constant acceleration wheel hop, if that makes sense : \ lol, but still get it if i down shift into 2nd so. but will see : \
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when i changed my lca's that the stock ones are such junk I could flex them by hand. Imagine what they do on the car. Relocation brackets apply a lot of angle to the chassis planting the rear downward as well. my car will spin like crazy if I launch it hard but has never went into wheel hop except for when it had z06 wheels and 305 drag radials on it. But on my 275 60 15s it is nice and smooth.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Banned

Are you using an angle finder to set your pinion angle? You don't mention it and there isn't a way to "eyeball" it. You should get one if you aren't using one. Do it with the suspension loaded as well.

Relocation brackets are a surefire way to get rid of pesky wheelhop. Even the bolt-in ones for the 10 bolt will fit the S60. I swapped my old ones right over.

No wheelhop here. I'm either gone, or leave nice smooth black strips of rubber.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-02-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Are you using an angle finder to set your pinion angle? You don't mention it and there isn't a way to "eyeball" it. You should get one if you aren't using one. Do it with the suspension loaded as well.

Relocation brackets are a surefire way to get rid of pesky wheelhop. Even the bolt-in ones for the 10 bolt will fit the S60. I swapped my old ones right over.

No wheelhop here. I'm either gone, or leave nice smooth black strips of rubber.
i got an angle finder with it just haven't been able to get to use it yet, what i did was take the adjustable one laid it ontop of my stock one made it identical then installed it and then brought the pinion down about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch : \
Old 12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Not that pinion angle is creating your wheelhop problem but lowering the pinion 1/4-1/2" sounds excessive. Make sure you get that corrected as soon as possible using the angle finder. If it truly is 1/2", you could be 6-8 degrees which is way too much. Our pinion angle video explains the procedure if you are not familiar with it.

As for your wheelhop, there are a lot of things that changed when you swapped rears but shocks, control arms and relocation brackets should definitely fix the problem. The Moser rears have always raised the car 1/2"-3/4" because of the larger tube size. This height change in the rear can contribute to wheelhop because ride height effects instant center. I am sure you changed your gear ratio to when you swapped rears which can also have an effect. Additionally the 9" is much heavier yet your shock valving was designed for the lighter 10 bolt. Once you get the rear hopping, the shocks just can't control it. On top of that your rear shocks are probably wore out....
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: cant get rid of wheel hop!