Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NEED HELP!! brakes not working while car is on

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!! brakes not working while car is on

So after trying for ever i still cant seem to get this to work. i did away with the ABS and now i have a wilwood brake proportioning valve instead.

Im bleeding and nothing is happaning. Lots of fluid from the front brakes come out but very little in the rear. Im starting to wonder if i hooked up the prop valve right. The front line from the MC is connected to the IN inlet of the prop valve and the OUT is going to my REAR brake line. I kept the stock LT1 rear brakes but have LS1 fronts. Read it was ok could this be an issue.

Also i bought new 3/16 line and was thinking of just starting all over from scratch. any advice.

thanks for the help id really appriciate it. Been with out a car for months now and im tired of driving other ppls cars. Thanks

Last edited by marine2149; 11-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

They get hard when the car is off because you have no power assist. You have it when it's running.

You said you had the calipers off? That means you had the lines disconnected? You have air in the system, lots of air. Are you even able to pump them brakes up with the car running where you have a decent pedal?

Sounds to me like you just need to bleed, bleed, and bleed the brakes. But it's really hard to get all the air out once it's in the ABS pump... might need a dealer to do it because you need a Tech2 or some sort of high end tool to cycle the ABS pump to get all the air out.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Damn, yah i think i got alot of air in there then. Since the break pedel is easy to engage when care is on and hard as a rock when its off. I did not know but i let the resovior go dry. So u think i should just bleed them like crazy. Im pissed. im suppose to go on leave tommarow, looks like it aint gonna happen.FML
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

if i let the resavoir go dry is that bad.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

If you let it go dry while bleeding you have to start all over again because it pulled air into the system
Old 12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

oh ok. So just rebleed again and hopfully ill be fine.. i really don't want to have to get a tow truck so i can get my car sent to the dealership. thats gonna cost.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Sam said: bleed, bleed and bleed some more. You cannot let the MC go dry. If that still doesn't work, you will need someone with TECH2 to get all the air out. It's a PITA if just a little air gets in. When the MC is dry, you are sucking ALOT of air in.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

So after trying for ever i still cant seem to get this to work. i did away with the ABS and now i have a wilwood brake proportioning valve instead.

Im bleeding and nothing is happaning. Lots of fluid from the front brakes come out but very little in the rear. Im starting to wonder if i hooked up the prop valve right. The front line from the MC is connected to the IN inlet of the prop valve and the OUT is going to my REAR brake line. I kept the stock LT1 rear brakes but have LS1 fronts. Read it was ok could this be an issue.

Also i bought new 3/16 line and was thinking of just starting all over from scratch. any advice.

thanks for the help id really appriciate it. Been with out a car for months now and im tired of driving other ppls cars. Thanks

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!! brakes not working while car is on