Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Relocation Brackets w/ stock LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocation Brackets w/ stock LCA's

Ok, heres the deal...

I am picking up a set of wheels this week, and I wanted to lower the car, to give it good stance with the wheels...

I'm getting a good deal on some Eibach springs and Bilestein Shocks...

BUT... I made a previous post about suspension on my firebird, and I was told, that when lowering it I should def. purchase Relocation brackets, LCA's, and PHB...

I was wondering if I could use Stock LCA's with Relocation Brackets, UNTIL I get enough money to purchase Aftermarket LCA's and PHB?

I also wanted to know which LCA's to get, Adjustable, Non Adjustable, which ones???

Thanks in advance,

Kyle
Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Yes you can run stock LCA's with the Re-lo brackets. I did it for almost 2 years until yesterday when I FINALLY installed my UMI adjustables.

Once you lower the car, you might want to/need to re-center your rear wheels within the wheel well. You'll need adjustable LCA's for that. I have UMI everything on my car and love it. But you really can't go wrong with any other brand either. These are very simple installs s well.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE
Yes you can run stock LCA's with the Re-lo brackets. I did it for almost 2 years until yesterday when I FINALLY installed my UMI adjustables.

Once you lower the car, you might want to/need to re-center your rear wheels within the wheel well. You'll need adjustable LCA's for that. I have UMI everything on my car and love it. But you really can't go wrong with any other brand either. These are very simple installs s well.
So technically, I do need Adjustable LCA's if I'm going to lower it?? Or the rear wheels will be un-centered?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SpeedFreak123
So technically, I do need Adjustable LCA's if I'm going to lower it?? Or the rear wheels will be un-centered?
Technically yes. But you shouldn't be THAT "off centered" if you don't.

I already notice that the rear end feels way better now and my "1st to 2nd" shift is WAY more firm and no clunks.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Technically yes. But you shouldn't be THAT "off centered" if you don't.

I already notice that the rear end feels way better now and my "1st to 2nd" shift is WAY more firm and no clunks.
Did you notice a difference in traction with Stock LCA's and Relocation Brackets?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Addict

Did you notice a difference in traction with Stock LCA's and Relocation Brackets?
Yes.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes.
Oh... Well i was reading on my previous thread just now, that it doesnt occur very often, that the rear tires become un-centered from lowering...

So, I figure I'll just use the stock LCA's with Relocation brackets until i can afford new ones.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If money is tight, an adj panhard bar would be more beneficial over adj LCA's OR relocation brackets (at this point), as your rearend will need to be recentered once it's lowered.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is centering the rear end a hard thing to do with a PHB? Sorry if that's a stupid questions.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is centering the rear end a hard thing to do with a PHB? Sorry if that's a stupid questions.
Not at all. Simply loosen the jam nut, then adjust the length of the panhard bar by rotating it with a wrench (this is done while installed). After the correct length has been found, retighten the jam nut. It'll take a bit of trial and error to get it perfect, but an easy task overall.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Kyle,

For a lowered car the relocation brackets are a great item to correct control arm angle and regain traction. They would also work with factory control arms with no issues like others had mentioned.

For control arms, we only recommend needing adjustable when you need to make room for tall tires and gain clearance. Otherwise factory length control arms are just fine.

The other item I recommend for a lowered vehicle is an adjustable panhard bar. The adjustable panhard bar allows you to center the rear end under the vehicle after lowering. This is especially critical if you are running a wider tire.

I hope this information helps!
Ryan
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting the PHB as mentioned is a lot more important than adjusting the LCA's, which as Ryan said don't really need to be adjusted at all unless you're changing rears or putting in big tires (or something is really off from the factory)....also, the slots on the LCA brackets are placed in an arc on most designs so placing the bolt on a lower hole doesn't really shift anything fore/aft.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At -1" I needed to adjust nothing (PHB, LCA). I am using
bolt-in brackets with boxed stock LCAs.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Absolutely not needed! I'm lowered and don't run them. They have their benefits and they have their drawbacks.

Quick Reply: Relocation Brackets w/ stock LCA's