Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pictures of my new Founders suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Why do people think that a properly working suspension (ie, good dampening and proper articulation) is just for auto-x people?!?
Because most people think that a properly working suspension has to be so stiff that you'd need a chiropractor visit every time you drive your car. Little do they know, this is not the case, and suspensions can be made to be comfortable AND work properly... but super soft shocks meant for stock height V6 springs paired with stiff aftermarket lowering springs is not the answer...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I saw this thread the other day but didn't comment. I am guessing that Founders is a newer company that builds suspension parts. I agree there are only so many ways you can build a LCA or a PHB. Take the money you save and buy a good set of dampeners.

Very nice looking car. It seems you have good parts everywhere else, don't skimp on shocks.

I'd like to see Sam's reaction to his springs and sensa trac's. LOL

I did a poly/poly LCA's on my 3rd gen and I won't ever do that again. I think a poly/rod or poly/roto is a better choice. Or a stock LCA with 1LE or similar bushings.

Good luck with your car. I wish my **** was that clean.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are discussing poly/poly to poly/rod.. What is the general opinion on poly/poly panhard rod? My PHR is poly/poly, but I KNOW I'll be getting rod/roto LCAs
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see constructive criticism is alive and well in suspension land, lol. Has anyone offered any "TECHnical" advice/suggestions in why Monroe's are not adequate or considered sufficient for our exotic street machines or are we taking the all too familar position of "its not Koni, so you will burn in hell"? I am certainly no expert on the subject, but it appears no one else is either...just shame on you jabs. Seriously?

I, of all people appreciate "purpose intent" when selecting parts. In the interest of application specific rides we do know that for the majority, 1320 guys use QA1's, auto-Xers Koni's...some guys just want a clean car that rolls straight, looks good and has a sense of pride while behind the wheel. Anyone remember those days? Stepping off the sensitivity box, but geezus...

OP, nice work under there....enjoy it
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I can see constructive criticism is alive and well in suspension land, lol. Has anyone offered any "TECHnical" advice/suggestions in why Monroe's are not adequate or considered sufficient for our exotic street machines or are we taking the all too familar position of "its not Koni, so you will burn in hell"? I am certainly no expert on the subject, but it appears no one else is either...just shame on you jabs. Seriously?

I, of all people appreciate "purpose intent" when selecting parts. In the interest of application specific rides we do know that for the majority, 1320 guys use QA1's, auto-Xers Koni's...some guys just want a clean car that rolls straight, looks good and has a sense of pride while behind the wheel. Anyone remember those days? Stepping off the sensitivity box, but geezus...

OP, nice work under there....enjoy it
Exactly, everyone knows what the general consensus is on suspension **** around here. We know the good and the bad. If people slap some cheap shocks on then their priorities and money are obviously elsewhere and one can appriciate something at least better than stock. Looks clean as a whistle under there OP nice work!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried a search?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13957207-post2.html

I, of all people appreciate "purpose intent" when selecting parts. In the interest of application specific rides we do know that for the majority, 1320 guys use QA1's, auto-Xers Koni's...
some guys just want a clean car that rolls straight, looks good and has a sense of pride while behind the wheel.
Yea, those guys usually run bilstiens

No need to get feathers ruffled, think of it positively not negatively , its one of those things that "you don't know what your missing". Kinda like if some guy was asking about getting either a V6 Fbody or an LS1 Fbody, him not knowing how much of a better performance car the LS1 was wouldn't you tell him to get the LS1? Then he gets all butt hurt and says "well its just a weekend car, so who cares? Like theres that much of a difference?"
Were helping fellow Fbody owners from making noob mistakes.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sensatracs aren't designed for any sort of performance. They have slots cut in the body that let oil bypass the piston in the first bit of travel, makes for a floaty, uncontrolled ride. Mixing those with low travel/higher rate springs makes it even more difficult to control the ride. Try a search for Sensatracs, I doubt you'll find any good results. People forget that the suspension works all of the time, and when people say "don't cheap it" it doesn't mean "you won't be competitive", but also that it doesn't work well for the street.

It's fine if people buy them, don't get me wrong....the OP's setup looks nice, maybe everybody on LS1tech should just give pats on the back instead of saying that something might work better than what the OP has. All of the equipment looks pretty nice, but the shocks are NOT going to work well with those springs.

If I made a post saying I put in a huge cam with my stock valve springs, I would appreciate advice saying it might not be the best....just saying

EDIT: I guess my point has been covered in the above post...took way too long to type!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Tried a search?

Yea, those guys usually run bilstiens

No need to get feathers ruffled, think of it positively not negatively , its one of those things that "you don't know what your missing". Kinda like if some guy was asking about getting either a V6 Fbody or an LS1 Fbody, him not knowing how much of a better performance car the LS1 was wouldn't you tell him to get the LS1? Then he gets all butt hurt and says "well its just a weekend car, so who cares? Like theres that much of a difference?"
Were helping fellow Fbody owners from making noob mistakes.
Not ruffled here JD....we know you're the one of largest Koni / Strano leg-humpers out here.

Its all in the delivery. As I said, I get it....
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Alot of people say my AGX's are junk too, but I think they do exactly what I need them to do and thats all that matters!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate the feedback guys - really I do.

Might make the switch later on down the road. But for now I wanted to at least put something new in there rather than slapping the 70k miles decarbons back in there. I suspect they would have blown-out quickly with the new springs.

LPE - do you know anything? You're having other people build your motor for you. RHS 460...really? Will you even be able to tell if it's a V6 or V8? ...... jp bud
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 19xtreme99
RHS 460...really? Will you even be able to tell if it's a V6 or V8? ...... jp bud
Sorry to disappoint....I was gonna buy some Koni's but decided on cubes instead.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to disappoint....I was gonna buy some Koni's but decided on cubes instead.
I think everyone here knows you'll never get that power to the pavement
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

It's ok LPE, there ARE a lot of Koni nutswingers here. It's like they accept nothing else as acceptable.. It's like saying you are dumb for owning an LS1 and not an LS9! I, actually have Koni's just on the rear, and some KYB Gas-A-Just's on the front for now. I like the Koni's in the rear, but honestly the only thing they have proven to me is that they are strongly built, because on my last rear shocks, the welds broke. Koni's weren't that much of an improvement, given I don't have the fronts yet, I can feel the rear shocks working.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HoLLo
It's ok LPE, there ARE a lot of Koni nutswingers here. It's like they accept nothing else as acceptable.. It's like saying you are dumb for owning an LS1 and not an LS9! I, actually have Koni's just on the rear, and some KYB Gas-A-Just's on the front for now. I like the Koni's in the rear, but honestly the only thing they have proven to me is that they are strongly built, because on my last rear shocks, the welds broke. Koni's weren't that much of an improvement, given I don't have the fronts yet, I can feel the rear shocks working.
Off subject, but I love your car. Sold me on the C5 DDs that I'll be ordering in a month or so. Nice work!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not ruffled here JD....we know you're the one of largest Koni / Strano leg-humpers out here.
Please... Im a fan of the vendors who actually design/develop their products for a purpose, and then test/prove them. Sam is one of the few suspension vendor to do this. Others just make things to make them (STB for example), or copy others designs - and then try to tell you that you need a bunch of stuff you don't (and then when called out on anything, they hurry to get the thread pulled). If there were other suspension vendors racing (not just in a strait line) and winning, I would be looking at their stuff too.

Its all in the delivery. As I said, I get it....
Clearly
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dphc18
Alot of people say my AGX's are junk too, but I think they do exactly what I need them to do and thats all that matters!
I think even "Koni nutswingers" would say that AGX's aren't junk, just that there are better options if you have the money.

I like how people hate Koni's because they're good....it's like hating Kooks because Pacesetters flow as good (but don't last as long) or hating GMMG because the LM1 is as loud (but doesn't sound as good)....there's nutswingers on both sides, people who like them and people who hate them....

I don't get why there's either.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I say again...

Great suspension setup otherwise, but switch to revalved Bilsteins when the Monroes feel like ****. When they feel like **** is entirely subjective. I am hedging to bet it will be sooner than later. I had non-revalved Bilsteins (the shocks meant for soft, stock height springs) in the rear and because of the lowering springs changing the suspension travel amount and overall spring stiffness, they weren't operating within their normal operating range. They felt like **** after a week of the rear lowering spring install. I removed those Bilstein HD shocks shortly thereafter and gave them to my friend who recently installed them on his stock height sub-80k mile Z28. Said they still felt a lot better than the deCarbons. I'm guessing that shocks that are valved for stock springs just don't function properly when installed with lowering springs. It's like that feeling when you have a ton of weight in the back of your car and you hit a pothole. Except, you don't have a ton of weight in the back of your car, and it just feels saggy and loose because of the choice of shocks.

Oh, and because I like quoting:

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-02-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Clearly
, JD....its guys like you that keep those of us who actually exist and function outside the hollowed grounds of "Tech" so damn entertained with these one-dimensional arguments.

Lol, if you would step off your ego riden pride box for a minute and actually R-E-A-D someone's post instead of taking your usual defensive position, it would be clearly understood that when I said "I get it", I was referring to spending the money for the "good stuff".

To go one further...."delivery" was in reference to...well...you. Like I said, feathers arent ruffled, just please keep the entertainment fresh.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=LPE 403;14444085...some guys just want a clean car that rolls straight, looks good and has a sense of pride while behind the wheel. Anyone remember those days? Stepping off the sensitivity box, but geezus...

[/QUOTE]

I couldnt agree more.

I bought my car because its fun to drive, not because I am a race car driver.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I like the set-up OP, it looks nice. Stock these cars didnt ride that great so there is no way you have done any worse so i dunno what people are bitching about

Quick Reply: Pictures of my new Founders suspension!