Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default poly bushings

If poly is as bad as I read, why do all the vendors still offer it? What are they good for?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Polyurethane Bushings

Chassis Engineering - Herb Adams, Pages 22 through 24

Quote from Global West Suspension:

"Polyurethane bushings used on both ends of the control arm. This type of a control arm is best used for drag racing. The bushings however, limit the rear end from articulating. Many drag cars can get away with this because of the way the car is set up. If this type of arm is used on the street or road race applications the rear suspension will be placed in bind when the car goes over bumps and around corners. This is because the control arm bushings will not allow the rear end to have proper movement."

Global West

Last edited by lees02WS6; 01-29-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

could you put the 1le bushings in an aftermarket lca or phr?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a rod-end/rod end or rod-end/poly be a better alternative? If which would be the better choice for a Street/Strip car that occasionally finds its way into a canyon cruise?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i found that the roto sphere....del sphere......what ever ya want to call it...... is a good choice....but it has its own quirks
Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

I have had poly bushings on both sides of my LCAs for 3 years and have never had a problem.

I have heard that heims squeak horribly after a couple thousand miles and that the rotor joints require constant adjustment to keep from rattling or clunking.

I just order a set of adjustable poly ended LCAs from UMI and I know I will be happy with them like I was with the last set, only reason I switched is my old ones weren't adjustable
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Banned

The poly bushings won't limit anything or bind as long as you keep them greased regularly, ubber is softer and more forgiving than poly which allows for some cushion and a bit of movement to be had.

After looking at all the bushings on my z28 the other day, I can't freakin wait to install my aftermarket poly stuff. They are all so worn out it's going to be a world of difference.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Grease only helps reduce friction, it does nothing to eliminate resistance when the part has to move in a direction other than x axis (rotation).

Herb Adams is an engineer, with more than 50 years experience. He worked on the original WS6 handling package for Pontiac, has his own company, built numerous race cars, and has written numerous books on automotive engineering.

If you really want free movement, in a pure rotation application with no deflection, then use del-alum.

Otherwise a ball bearing type joint will give you pure rotation and articulation.

As a bushing material, the only thing poly's success proves is that marketing works. It's fine for static parts, but not for movement. I digress
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iWon
The poly bushings won't limit anything or bind as long as you keep them greased regularly, ubber is softer and more forgiving than poly which allows for some cushion and a bit of movement to be had.

After looking at all the bushings on my z28 the other day, I can't freakin wait to install my aftermarket poly stuff. They are all so worn out it's going to be a world of difference.
Not true, as ^^^ mentioned. Keeping the poly's greased will help with squeaking/wear, and allow it to rotate more freely I suppose, but the bind being talked about is more so from side to side, which happens to LCA's and the PHB when the rear articulates.

Rubber is softer and more forgiving, yes, but importantly it allows the parts to fully articulate, hence why most auto-x people (or even for those people who just want a car that works on the street) use rubber for the front and rear suspension UNLESS they use something like a rod-end or the like. The problem with rod-ends and similar products is that they seem to require more attention for maintanence and don't have the same street manners as rubber....as well as being more $$$$.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like everyone said the poly-urethane bushings don't articulate nearly as well as a spherical bearings/rod ends. Both poly-urethane and sperical bearings/rod ends have there place it just really depends on what you are doing with the car. If you are just daily driving the car and want something that is going to be a noticable upgrade over stock the poly-urethane bushings are great and will work well for you. If you are looking to really push the car and do alot of cornering or drag race a car that has a lot of power then I would really start looking the suspension parts with the spherical bearings/rod ends.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: poly bushings