Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 brake upgrade really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 brake upgrade really worth it?

Is it really worth it apposed to just some nice rotors and pads? My car is a street car that will see the occasional track day? Just want to know if its worth it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've read the LS fbody calipers are more prone to problems vs. the C5 calipers, albeit the Vette calipers are not much larger, but with the C5 rotors you do get 1" more surface, which is nice.

It's not a necessity, but it looks cool and it would perform somewhat better over a stock brake setup, plus it'd be the perfect excuse to put in some stainless steel brake lines while your in there

You have to decide if it's worth it for yourself, some say yes, others say no.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the tracks your going to are very technical and brake intensive, then I would say: Yes its worth it."

You get more torque from the larger rotor, and a much stiffer caliper that helps prevent caliper spread. Even stiffer if you use C6 calipers. IMO you also get better race pad choices, or at least more with the vette PAB and that means you can fine tune your brake setup better.

My current setup is the C5 calipers, with DBA 4000 "wiper slot" rotors and mintex extreme pads for the street. This setup offers me killer cold braking all the way up to around 1000*f. For the track, all I do is swap in a set of Raybestos ST-43 race-pads and run it hard. Offers me good brakes when cold and excellent initial bite, good modulation and predictable release all the way to 1400-1500* f. Yet I can still drive to and from the track with them.

Of course I always recommend running good fluid and lines. I currently run Motul RBF 600.

My next setup is going to be a Wilwood 4 pot setup with a floating hat which I should be picking up today, but thats only because my C5's finally spread on me after like 5 years and a few hard track days. The C6's are much chunkier and I would look into sourcing those calipers over the C5's if I were you.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My plans were to do like the sam strano brake package. 4 rotors, Hawk Pads, stainless lines and ATE fluid. I know brake pedal feel can change a lot just in replacing fluid. Hence why I ask is their really any noticeable difference in that inch. I would do the ctsv swap but it requires 18's and Im not buying a new set of wheels
Old 02-10-2011, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

The C5 setup really does make a big difference.. Stiffer calipers, more torque and a larger heat-sink can all play a part in doing wonders for the braking system.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SVThuh
If the tracks your going to are very technical and brake intensive, then I would say: Yes its worth it."

You get more torque from the larger rotor, and a much stiffer caliper that helps prevent caliper spread. Even stiffer if you use C6 calipers. IMO you also get better race pad choices, or at least more with the vette PAB and that means you can fine tune your brake setup better.

My current setup is the C5 calipers, with DBA 4000 "wiper slot" rotors and mintex extreme pads for the street. This setup offers me killer cold braking all the way up to around 1000*f. For the track, all I do is swap in a set of Raybestos ST-43 race-pads and run it hard. Offers me good brakes when cold and excellent initial bite, good modulation and predictable release all the way to 1400-1500* f. Yet I can still drive to and from the track with them.

Of course I always recommend running good fluid and lines. I currently run Motul RBF 600.

My next setup is going to be a Wilwood 4 pot setup with a floating hat which I should be picking up today, but thats only because my C5's finally spread on me after like 5 years and a few hard track days. The C6's are much chunkier and I would look into sourcing those calipers over the C5's if I were you.
I love those raybestos pads. I was surprised how much more grip they had cold than my hps pads, and they performed flawlessly on the track.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

if youre not going to a track often, say 5+ times a year, dont bother. youll do just fine with dedicated track pads and rotors. stock LS1 brakes are very good, especially on the street. save the money from a swap and do something else, or get a set of track rims/tires.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly its up to you man if you want to spend the money. I just finished my entire suspension, got everything upgraded, and i did the C5 brake conversion while i was at it. Definatly looks a hell of a lot better, and as far as braking power its honestly a night/day difference, then again i had some shitty drilled/slotted rotors on there before. Im gonna be posting pics soon, they look pretty sweet with my TTII'S
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rotors have nothing to do with braking performance other than size and to a lesser degree weight.

The biggest difference you will feel is with good pads. HPS/HP+ pads are night and day over a standard autozone pad.

The largest difference you likely felt was due to better pads, larger rotors and stiffer calipers, in that order.

I would run a 13" rotor over a 12" rotor any day of the week. Even if I was only going to the track 2-3 times a year. A larger heatsink is almost always preferrable.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you had a LT1 brake setup then i would say yeah its worth it. Its a toss up with you having an LS1 setup already stock. If its just a DD and a few times going to the track then i would say not really IMO. A set of new pads, rotors and fluid would be more cost effective and give you some better braking.

its hard to say. Its your money
Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could have fooled me, Rotors have nothing to do with braking performance......this must be something new
Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Undertow74
Could have fooled me, Rotors have nothing to do with braking performance......this must be something new
In the grand scheme of things, a very expensive "top-of-the-line" rotor with a bunch of fancy grooves and such will not offer any better braking performance than a standard run of the mill cheapo rotor.

The only performance advantage a rotor could really ever offer is if it has some sort of improved cooling system such as curved vanes, etc. But thats only something you will ever feel on the track under repeated braking where the rotors need to cool as efficiently as possible to help stave off fade and keep your pads in their optimum heat range.

Quick Reply: C5 brake upgrade really worth it?