Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

replacing ls1 brake hardlines

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default replacing ls1 brake hardlines

so my brake hardlines by the rear end are garbage. they are rusted and feel weak so i want to replace the whole 2 brake hardlines.

is there anywhere i can buy new hardlines?

if i have to cut the lines and make new lines any tips or suggestions?

never made and bend brakes lines so dont want to put any lines on my car that will leak or break

thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call a good dealership parts guy and ask. I had to replace part of a rear hard line on a '95 Camaro I used to have -- just bought the replacement tubing from O'Reillys -- ended up putting a loop in the piece I bought due to length -- not ideal, but it did work.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't be finding replacement hard lines any time soon - when I checked in 2007 for hard lines for my 2002 Camaro, I quickly found out that GM does not offer pre-bent, pre-flared brake lines that are a drop-in replacement. I still had my old lines, so I sent them to Classic Tube, and they made exact duplicates of my factory lines in stainless steel, complete with flares, fittings, and stainless coil wire to protect them from road debris. It took a while, but the lines were exact duplicates since they use a CNC bender to make them, and I should be able to call them in the future should I ever need those exact same lines again without having to send them anything to duplicate.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd suggest learning how to make lines yourself. With a few tools (a good flaring tool that will do metric bubble flares and a tubing bender), it really isn't that hard to do...just a bit tedious.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You won't be finding replacement hard lines any time soon - when I checked in 2007 for hard lines for my 2002 Camaro, I quickly found out that GM does not offer pre-bent, pre-flared brake lines that are a drop-in replacement. I still had my old lines, so I sent them to Classic Tube, and they made exact duplicates of my factory lines in stainless steel, complete with flares, fittings, and stainless coil wire to protect them from road debris. It took a while, but the lines were exact duplicates since they use a CNC bender to make them, and I should be able to call them in the future should I ever need those exact same lines again without having to send them anything to duplicate.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd suggest learning how to make lines yourself. With a few tools (a good flaring tool that will do metric bubble flares and a tubing bender), it really isn't that hard to do...just a bit tedious.
you saved me a trip to the dealership. i thought they would have them just priced rediculously. im just going to cut out the back section of the lines and make new ones unless someone locally is parting out a ls1 with good lines
Old 03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

That's really great info -- did you replace all the hard lines? I assume others could call and order them without much fuss since you already primed the pump.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

Old 03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I only replaced the two hard lines that run along the rear axle, and it was for a 4-channel rear axle (ABS + TCS). I'm not sure if the hard lines are different between 3 and 4-channel rears, so someone would have to verify.

As long as you had a 4-channel rear and wanted those same hard lines, they could make exactly what you needed based off of what I sent them.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM
9 Second Club

Well, I replaced all my brake lines a few years ago! I went to a local place here that is a hose and brass business and they sold me a 20 foot section of brake line that is used by mechanic shops. The great thing about this material is the lines bend by hand and you just start at the fitting and bend the lines to match you existing line.

SJM sales a flaring tool that I bought and used which worked perfect.

The total cost for the line was $30.00 or $40.00 and the flaring tool was whatever SJM sales it for.

I hope this helps!

N2
Old 03-12-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

the hard lines over the axle are different with the 3 and 4 channels rears. i have had a bad experience with classictube so i will not use them again. there are a few other companies out there that will make you new lines. for a cheap, quick fix, i bought lines from napa that i could bend myself and have them on the car right now. i didn't make the bends look nice but they do work.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

my car has abs and tcs so im guessing the rear end is 4 channel but not sure so if someone can let me know that would be great. what size line would that be?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 97Lt1TA
my car has abs and tcs so im guessing the rear end is 4 channel but not sure so if someone can let me know that would be great. what size line would that be?
ABS + TCS = 4 channel (one sensor at each rear wheel plus one sensor at each front wheel)

ABS only = 3 channel (one sensor placed on the pumpkin of the rear end plus one sensor at each front wheel)

The line size is roughly 3/16", but I have no idea what size the fittings are.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fittings on each end are different. One end is metric and the other is SAE.

If I recall, the end in the center at the T block is SAE.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the Classic Tube link for complete line kit, factory style:
http://www.classictube.com/index.php...&submit=Search

Also, these guys have rear hard lines pre-bent for 4th Gens:
http://www.Flynbye.com/catalog/c3_p1.html

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-21-2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that set of lines pictured for ABS only or for ABS+TCS...?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping an old thread, but can someone tell me the difference between LT1 hard brake lines and LS1 hard brake lines (if any)? I'm looking for a set for my '01 bird but it has a 3 channel 10 bolt out of an LT1 I believe so I want to make sure I'm ordering the right set. (most likely gonna order from the supplier above since I can't find a set anywhere else but they have listings for both).
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Here's the Classic Tube link for complete line kit, factory style:
http://www.classictube.com/index.php...&submit=Search

Also, these guys have rear hard lines pre-bent for 4th Gens:
http://www.Flynbye.com/catalog/c3_p1.html
Bump. Back from the grave.

So what is everyone doing that wants to replace their rusted hard lines and reroute the lines up front around the K-member? I have no problem ditching TCS and ABS. I'm thinking of getting the rear kit in the first link and then pre-bending some stainless steel the lines for the front, or would it be better to get the CA1069-SS kit to make the bend adjustments and some Strano 692290 brake lines?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

TCS cars have two separate lines running front to rear, non TCS cars have a single line that's split at the rear end. If you want to ditch the double line and replace it with one it would be fine but remember you still have to deal with the abs block up front. You would likely need to delete that completely then you're free to so whatever the heck you want.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

I have no problem ditching the ABS block. What I want is a pre-bent and flared stainless steel kit that ditches both ABS and TCS that comes with T-fittings and all, and can accommodate an SLP line lock.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck, just bend up your own lines. I highly doubt anyone makes a replacement line kit that will have the "extras" you want. Get a roll of nickle plated copper line(bends and flairs soooo much easier than SS put lasts and holds off corrosion like ss) and a good flair tool and take your time. I deleted my ABS and added roll control on my 95 pretty simply, and so did 01ssreda4 and he's got a good write up on here, his is also 4ch. The mastercool flair tool I have will do 45* and metric bubble flair as well.

replacing ls1 brake hardlines-20170722_205306.jpg

replacing ls1 brake hardlines-20170722_205247.jpg

replacing ls1 brake hardlines-20170722_205228.jpg

Last edited by biketopia; 08-21-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Good call on the nickle plated copper. I'll give it a try, just wanted to make sure there were no pre-bent kits already out to save time.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

None I know of. If you do something similar to what I did, the 3/16 nickle copper line will work going into the MC just gotta use the fitting off the stock line and make a metric bubble flare, then you can just do 45* double flair's on any adapters and unions etc. Also remember you need NPT to flair adapters for your line lock and proportioning valve if you're deleting the ABS block. I did npt flairs and tee's on everything but I also have my engine out so everything is accessible. 01ssreda4 did his on an LS1 car with the engine in and used some compression fittings of the correct size. here is his thread on it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...bs-delete.html

Quick Reply: replacing ls1 brake hardlines