Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+100 on Strano Springs
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Why? Just curious....many have reported great ride quality (for a lowered car, no lowered car is going to ride as good as a car with stock spring rates) with the Strano's when used along with good shocks. As far having things in the trunk, you could say that for anything....weight in the back will cause the rear to sink a little lower, but he does have air springs available to add spring rate if you need leveling.

If you want to get a lowered look, you could go with the heater hose in the back and either Koni's on the lower perch up front or BMR's 1" drop A-arms if you want to use the stock springs and maintain the stock rates. But putting stock rates on 1"+ lowering springs will cause you problems.

EDIT: I see you're using the Strano/Koni setup....do you have a problem with the ride as it is now?
My firehawk came with Eibachs, so I haven't had the pleasure of the comfort of stock springs. I love the strano/koni setup for tearing up the road when I lived in the south. That's when I'm driving alone and the car is empty. If I'm going more than 50 miles I always have tools with me, in the trunk which sags the back too much for my liking. Just a personal preference man, nothing against Strano stuff. Everything has a purpose, nothing is going to be perfect for every situation and my driving style has changed.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stranos

/thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

hotchkis
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All springs are not equal, beware of Ebay springs. Most people don't realize how much work goes into manufacturing top-quality springs. BMR offers a LIFETIME guarantee against SPRING SAG. Here are the manufacturing steps used to make BMR springs:

1) BMR Springs are manufactured from chrome silicon high-tensile spring wire. This is the best spring wire available for automotive applications. Most NASCAR teams use this type of spring wire for their designs.

2) Every BMR spring is computer tested as the last step of the manufacturing process. Every spring...not just a sample from each batch. EVERY SPRING!! Each spring is loaded in the spring tester at the factory. The spring is compressed and the CNC Load Cell measures the force for a variety of spring lengths. The computer takes this data and compares it to the BMR quality specs. Bad springs (if any) are kicked out and the good ones are sent to BMR. Per our requirements, the test data for each and every spring is electronically sent to BMR.

3) BMR springs are cold wound on a CNC Coiling Machine. The CNC coiling head can adjust the spring diameter in real time to ensure that every spring is the same as the other springs. This guarantees that your right spring matches your left spring!!

4) Every BMR spring is compressed solid at the factory. Not once, but twice. This gives the spring its permanent set...and guarantees NO SAG. This allows BMR to offer a lifetime warranty against spring sag.

5) BMR springs are stress-relieved at 750 degrees F. This ensures that most stresses induced during the winding process are eliminated. This process is necessary to achieve the repeatable high-quality product that BMR offers!!

6) All springs are shot-peened to eliminate residual surface stresses. Many spring manufacturers skip this step. BMR insists on this operation as part of our spring manufacturing process.

A few more notes:

1) BMR springs are Proudly Made in the USA!!! Costs are minimized and quality is maintained using CNC manufacturing equipment. Shipping costs are low. No boats. No planes. No custom fees passed on to the customer. Just good old American manufacturing ingenuity!!

2) BMR springs are manufactured by a spring company that has been making springs for over 140 years. Think about it...when GM was founded in 1908, this spring company had already been making springs for 40 years. I say they know a thing or two about making springs.

3) BMR springs are manufactured by a family-owned spring company. The same family has owned this company for 140+ years (6 generations). No corporate bail-outs. No passing the buck. When your name has been on the door for 140 years, you make sure that you own the best spring manufacturing equipment available.

BMR Lowering Springs are the Highest Quality AND Lowest Cost spring available for the 4th Gen F-Body. Don't be fooled by companies that try to convince you to pay extra for your springs. With BMR, you get great tech advice, high quality springs, and the lowest cost!!
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Love my bmr. ^
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
getting the stuff from Strano is worth a lot as it comes with his experience and over the phone customer service.
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. Anytime I've called Strano, he seemed really short with talking to me, just a rude ego.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. Anytime I've called Strano, he seemed really short with talking to me, just a rude ego.
I see in Post #4 that you said you don't have Strano springs. Have you ever purchased anything from Sam? I know it pisses him off when people talk with him about building a suspension setup for their car/needs and then go purchase it somewhere else. I can't really blame him for that, it would **** me off too.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how so many folks can be so happy, and then there are always a few that hate me. Maybe I'm bi-polar? Or maybe it's because I'm not one to pull punches and honesty isn't always what folks want? Maybe it's because unlike the other companies I compete with I do *everything* alone around here and don't have time for idle chit-chat and that might come off as being short to people? I really don't know, and it bothers me more than a little when I see stuff like this.

I'm not here to be your friend guys. I have become friends with a few customers over the years, but the reality is I'm here to sell parts, and more to the point sell you the parts that will help you the most. There will always be someone who doesn't like someone else (that's a two way street fwiw, there are folks that call that I think are jerks too). Some folks aren't meant to do business I guess.

It's not a personality contest, it's a business with end result product and results and between answering phones, billing, shipping, ordering, packing, shipping, answering e-mail, PM's, voicemail, paying bills, eating lunch (at my desk, every single day), talking on forums, well I guess it might be possible I can get a little short.

You want the best springs? They're mine. They're the ones that folks "borrow" the specs from. They're the ones that have been around. They're the ones that have remained as I designed them--I've never changed them because someone else had something and I thought I was missing out. That's happened with others, more than once.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I see in Post #4 that you said you don't have Strano springs. Have you ever purchased anything from Sam? I know it pisses him off when people talk with him about building a suspension setup for their car/needs and then go purchase it somewhere else. I can't really blame him for that, it would **** me off too.
Actually I have, I bought my Konis from him. Sure it's not HIS named product, but its good $$, and when I called back to ask questions, like I said, I got short answers.. I know this isn't a friend contest, I'm just saying. More people should be appreciative of paying customers in this economy.. And I'm not doubting the quality of his product at all, as I have never used them, but I believe they are good from everything I hear.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BMR! tokico up front konis in rear, ive had both new and old spring designs and you cant go wrong with either... no bottoming out even on these awesome brick streets...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hollo.... did you get the answers you needed?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I have ran several sets and settled on hotchkis rears with Koni Yellows and QA1's with 325lb springs which is working out perfect for daily street driving. The Eibach Pro kit rode ok but sagged after a few months and would bottom out. I used a set of Vogtlands and the fit and ride was very nice, just a little to low for my dual exhuast. I tried Stranos and they were pretty much the same as the Vogtlands, I later found out Vogtland makes springs for Strano, not sure if they are different but except for the color they look identical. I stuck with the Hotchkis because their claim of a true 1inch drop is on par, I can ride with 4 adults in my car and no bottoming out. Anyways, for what its worth.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dude, you didn't look that closely. My springs are made by Vogtland, but are COMPLETELY different rates and wound differently too. My fronts are dead linear, their production springs are not. The rears both have a take-up/tender rate, but the wire diameter is different (mine aren't as stiff).
Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

After playing with a few springs I settled on the Stranos, I ran stock, then eibachs...wasnt overly thrilled with them, once they wore out I went over to the Stranos with koni shocks and it was night and day. less bounce, firm and controlled, the eibachs to me felt like they were all over the damned place.

Quick Reply: LOWERING SPRINGS- Is there any brands that work good besides Eibach