Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Endless wheelhop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Endless wheelhop!

Hi, I have wheelhop problem since I bought the car. The car was stock except of frame connectors. I install 9in moser with LCA, ajustable PHB, swaybar bushing, ajustable torque arm and bilstein HD shocks. After this I add LCA relocation bracket, UMI relocation torque arm cross member and strano springs. I also tried KYB AGX rear shocks with ajustable damping. I think a rebound ajustement would be more useful... My pinion angle is -1. The car have been realigne.

I dont know what to do next, maybe 2 rear shocks fully ajustable...

At the track with ET Street it dont wheelhop, but in the street with street tires it wheelhop almost everytime tires are getting traction.

Sometime when a do a burnout in first 1st, it hop, until I get the second in. like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOUJP51Bo8

Pavement surface may have a infuence on how hard it hop and tires....

I have broke a detroit trutrac and pretty sure its because of wheel hop. Now I dont want to broke my detroit locker.

I need advice please! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Here's a picture of my first "stage" of suspension.

Also my PHB have a slight bend in it and my rear sway bar bracket are begin the do a V shape because of over torque on the U bolts. I dont know if this can affect the suspension.

I tried to move LCA in other holes of the relocation bracket and tried different damping settings on the KYB without good results...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy a set of Koni DA shocks. I bought a Moser 9" with 35 spline axles and a detroit locker. Had hop like crazy. Bought tubular LCA's, an aluminum center section case to lighten it up, LCA relocator brackets, and SA koni's. Wheel hop galore! Bought a set of Koni DA's last month, set the rebound 2 or 3 clicks from full heavy and viola!, no more wheel hop. Had I bought the DA shocks in the first place, I'd have saved $$$$$
Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"At the track with ET Street it dont wheelhop, but in the street with street tires it wheelhop almost everytime tires are getting traction"

I noticed when my old tires got bad they would wheelhop more and more, when i got new tires it didn't. I don't know if that would fix your problem but i know it did mine, something to consider at least.

Either the difference in the tires or the street it sounds like.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PwrdbyLS1
Hi, I have wheelhop problem since I bought the car. The car was stock except of frame connectors. I install 9in moser with LCA, ajustable PHB, swaybar bushing, ajustable torque arm and bilstein HD shocks. After this I add LCA relocation bracket, UMI relocation torque arm cross member and strano springs. I also tried KYB AGX rear shocks with ajustable damping. I think a rebound ajustement would be more useful... My pinion angle is -1. The car have been realigne.

I dont know what to do next, maybe 2 rear shocks fully ajustable...

At the track with ET Street it dont wheelhop, but in the street with street tires it wheelhop almost everytime tires are getting traction.

Sometime when a do a burnout in first 1st, it hop, until I get the second in. like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOUJP51Bo8

Pavement surface may have a infuence on how hard it hop and tires....

I have broke a detroit trutrac and pretty sure its because of wheel hop. Now I dont want to broke my detroit locker.

I need advice please! Thanks!
At the track your soft sidewall ET Streets are absorbing the shock load while on the street your stiff sidewalls are not. With the extra weight of the 9" it sounds like you are needing more control of your shock dampening. Overall it looks like you have all of the right components, I take it you have already attempted various shock settings, torque arm settings on the front mount (instant center height), and control arm relocation mount positions?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Buy a set of Koni DA shocks. I bought a Moser 9" with 35 spline axles and a detroit locker. Had hop like crazy. Bought tubular LCA's, an aluminum center section case to lighten it up, LCA relocator brackets, and SA koni's. Wheel hop galore! Bought a set of Koni DA's last month, set the rebound 2 or 3 clicks from full heavy and viola!, no more wheel hop. Had I bought the DA shocks in the first place, I'd have saved $$$$$
FYI, Koni SA's adjust rebound only, with a fixed compression, while DA's adjust compression and rebound independently. Are you sure you arn't talking about the compression settings?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
FYI, Koni SA's adjust rebound only, with a fixed compression, while DA's adjust compression and rebound independently. Are you sure you arn't talking about the compression settings?
Yea, just a typo.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
At the track your soft sidewall ET Streets are absorbing the shock load while on the street your stiff sidewalls are not. With the extra weight of the 9" it sounds like you are needing more control of your shock dampening. Overall it looks like you have all of the right components, I take it you have already attempted various shock settings, torque arm settings on the front mount (instant center height), and control arm relocation mount positions?
Yes already tried all control arm positions, various compression setting on the KYB AGX and pinion angle on the torque arm from -4 to -1.

Seems like I have a rebound problem with my suspension that my shocks cant control when it hop.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PwrdbyLS1
Yes already tried all control arm positions, various compression setting on the KYB AGX and pinion angle on the torque arm from -4 to -1.

Seems like I have a rebound problem with my suspension that my shocks cant control when it hop.
Seriously, your problem sounds identical to mine...and BTW, the ONLY thing the LCA Brkts did to my car was make the symptoms of the detroit locker MORE annoying when it locked/unlocked on the highway. The shocks were like a miracle cure..... well not really a miracle... I had read enough threads convincing me that DA shocks were the way to go that I knew.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Yeah its sound like the same problem. I'll think about it, they are pricey and if they dont cure my wheelhop i'll be so **** off. I dont understand why mine hop so hard and my friend 00' head/cam T/A have stock suspension and dont hop at all...

Quick Reply: Endless wheelhop!