Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LOWERING SPRINGS- Is there any brands that work good besides Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LOWERING SPRINGS- Is there any brands that work good besides Eibach

I am looking into lowering my Formula and started to look on Ebay. Is there any decent springs besides Eibach that look good.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out Strano Springs. Stranoparts.com hes a sponsor and the springs are awesome!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

read from a guy who had h&r springs said they are lower than eibach pro kit but higher than eibach sportline so in the middle and ride/handle better than eibach.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Your title is incorrect, because Eibach isn't good to begin with. I've ran several different springs and have settled with the Hotchkis springs, they are a perfect drop to me, and have a comfortable, predictive ride versus many others I've tried. I highly recommend them. I've never been in a car with Stranos, but they're supposed to be really good also. Similar drop.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

check out what BMR has, this is what i have on my car.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly and non-biasly, Strano or go home. If you want consistant lowering height, improved handling & the correct rates for these cars buy Strano. I do not have his springs or any suspension part he sells, but I have seen enough positive reviews of his springs & the fact he does his own R&D on the springs he sells for these cars speaks for itself.

I have seen far too many people complain about the other brands of springs for various reasons, mainly poor ride after & inconsistant drop heights.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing from the original question (and the fact that you are looking on Ebay) that you want something to lower the car and be cheaper than what you are finding for most lowering springs. Word of advice - anything you are bound to find on Ebay was made by some other company (who again probably asked someone else to make them), and you may or may not have access to the specs of that particular spring (like the spring rate, progressive vs. linear rate, length, etc).

Find a drop you like, figure out the brand, and if you really want to save money, shop around in the classified section. If ride is your primary concern, you will want a small drop (like ~1" drop) and a softer spring rate. Then you'll get to find out how inadequate the stock shocks are. This mod is a slippery slope.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

As MeentSS02 said, shopping for cheap springs on ebay doesn't usually let you know what you're buying. There's much more to lowering springs than just the "drop", but the rates and how the rates change. The Strano, Hotchkis, and BMR springs have been used by a lot of people (the Strano's and BMR's are very very similar, while the Hotchkis is a variable rate spring and doesn't drop the car as much as the others).

I, along with most on this board, would really recommend you look into some other shocks (not crap replacement shocks either, something like Bilsteins, KYB AGX's, Koni's) to make sure you have a shock that can work with the higher rates/lower travel of a lowering spring.

I know this stuff adds up to more $$$$ fast, but your suspension is working ALL THE TIME you drive it, why not make it work right instead of just make the car look good?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did so much research before I got my springs and ended up going with Vogtland and I love em. car sits nice, the ride is nice and firm.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

I originally ordered vogtland springs but the order got caught up in customs and the store sent me bmrs instead. I'm happy with my bmr springs. It's a nice drop and stiff
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

I really prefer the Hotchkis mainly because they are 1" drops and have very good street manners in conjunction with Bilstein shocks. All the rest out there are 1.25+ and with long tube headers usually it's not a good combo.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eibachs are pretty good on stangs but their rates suck on these cars.... just about anything is better IMO. They were on my LT car when I bought it so yes I have firsthand experience. I went with Stranos for this car and love them...
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

I have bmr springs 1.25 with LT and ory and I don't scrape at all.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

BMR hands down..and while your at it, order the entire suspension catalog from BMR.. Look at all the recent builds in GMHTP..one thing in common.. BMR!!!

Im running BMR 1.25 springs and have no problems with it. Great quality.. im about about to install a panhard and subframes all from BMR.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html

One article from GMHTP with Strano's stuff. BMR is also a great company, but getting the stuff from Strano is worth a lot as it comes with his experience and over the phone customer service. The springs basically come out in a wash between Strano's and BMR's for the rates/drop, and Strano's won multiple titles when using his rates in SCCA competitions.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Launching!

The real question is what are you going to do with the car. If you are going to take a road trip and have ANYTHING in the trunk, I wouldn't recommend the Strano's. His R&D is great for his SCCA racing stuff and they are good for that. They also have a great stance. But if you aren't racing your car I would vote against them. Don't have an answer to what would be better though.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

This is mainly going to be a street car, the other one will be for racing. I just wanted a lowered look, I do not like the stock height on the F Bodies.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arcolog2
The real question is what are you going to do with the car. If you are going to take a road trip and have ANYTHING in the trunk, I wouldn't recommend the Strano's. His R&D is great for his SCCA racing stuff and they are good for that. They also have a great stance. But if you aren't racing your car I would vote against them. Don't have an answer to what would be better though.
Why? Just curious....many have reported great ride quality (for a lowered car, no lowered car is going to ride as good as a car with stock spring rates) with the Strano's when used along with good shocks. As far having things in the trunk, you could say that for anything....weight in the back will cause the rear to sink a little lower, but he does have air springs available to add spring rate if you need leveling.

If you want to get a lowered look, you could go with the heater hose in the back and either Koni's on the lower perch up front or BMR's 1" drop A-arms if you want to use the stock springs and maintain the stock rates. But putting stock rates on 1"+ lowering springs will cause you problems.

EDIT: I see you're using the Strano/Koni setup....do you have a problem with the ride as it is now?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Why? Just curious....many have reported great ride quality (for a lowered car, no lowered car is going to ride as good as a car with stock spring rates) with the Strano's when used along with good shocks. As far having things in the trunk, you could say that for anything....weight in the back will cause the rear to sink a little lower, but he does have air springs available to add spring rate if you need leveling.

If you want to get a lowered look, you could go with the heater hose in the back and either Koni's on the lower perch up front or BMR's 1" drop A-arms if you want to use the stock springs and maintain the stock rates. But putting stock rates on 1"+ lowering springs will cause you problems.

EDIT: I see you're using the Strano/Koni setup....do you have a problem with the ride as it is now?
Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by saying using the heater hose in the back.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whitelx1
Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by saying using the heater hose in the back.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...d-writeup.html

Quick Reply: LOWERING SPRINGS- Is there any brands that work good besides Eibach