Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For those of you with the Ls1 brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with the Ls1 brake swap

I have a 96 Formula with the Ls1 brake swap all in place except for the lines. I got the brake line going from the caliper to the frame from a 2001 Camaro
v6. The problem I am having is that the original frame brake line is bent a certain way and i cannot get the new brake line hooked up. Is there a trick to hooking it up? Like bending the original brake line on the frame so that it can be hooked up to the one from the caliper without binding or what did you guys do? Any help is appreciated guys thanx

Jorge
Old 03-29-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some guys have gotten away with bending. I dont know how and would hope u would prefer not to.

If you can cut the 01 brackets and have access to a welder to make them flat your good to go without bending the original hard brake lines.

If not you can also touch up the shape of the older brackets to the hexagonal like shape of the newer 01 brackets....and try to make it match as best as possible....you will then see the newer soft lines will go right through and you can put back on the pressure collar.

I preferred to cut and weld flat the newer brackets.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure I simply bent mines a little since I don't recall buying any additional parts.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could also bang or bend flat the 01 bracket...then bend the hard brake lines towards it....becuz the distance shouldnt be too far there.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Ok well ill try to flatten out the bracket and go from there guys thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I hammered the bracket a bit and that was enough.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Ok one more question before i try finishing it up guys. I have to bleed my brakes since I put all four calipers on and i was wondering what brake fluid is needed and any good ways to bleed it?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran Russell speed bleeders....and run of the mill brake fluid. (wearever brand i think)
There is fancier fluids out there....but also other dots like 5....but with all the damm warnings abt sticking to Dot3 from the manufacturer....I decided not to take the chance.....who knows if the ABS module goes nuclear reactor on us if u do....run of the mill stuff should work fine.

The speed bleeders make life a whole lot easier and only need one person for the job.

Don't forget its not just till u see no more bubbles but also aim to flush out all the old fluid so wait till it comes out crystal clear like the new fluid you put up top.....and go back and forth to make sure you keep the master full.
Start from furthest wheel till closest. R rear. L rear. R frnt. L frnt.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

License2Ill thanx for the help, I will certainly be getting the speed bleeders. Hopefully everything goes well so I can have it out for the first time in a year after some major headaches.