Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring settle question Strano's

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring settle question Strano's

Just got strano springs installed along with the koni 4/4s. The Rear seems to be lower than the front, the front doesn't seem to have much of a drop at all compared to the rear actually. Do the front's take more time to settle? I like how it drives, just don't really like the look of the front being higher than the back though. Maybe I just need to wait.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

There is another thread where the OP's car look lower in the rear...I wonder too..
Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the same boat. I installed my springs yesterday and the front seems to sit a bit higher than the rear. I'm just hoping it needs time to settle.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Fella's... the front springs are a lot stiffer than the rears are, give it a little time. But I don't make any bones about the fact that cars vary, and sometimes you get some that sit higher or lower than most others. And what you want to to be looking at are the rocker panels vs. the ground as the wheel wells are cut differently front to back, and folks often run different sized tires front to back. Also, any extra weight in the rear vs. a stock car, as in a big sub box, tools, etc. will make the rear sit lower.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming your rear isolators are still in, right?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
the wheel wells are cut differently front to back, and folks often run different sized tires front to back.
That was exactly what I was thinking. You can't measure just the wheel well gap since the arches are different.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

no tools, subs or anything, 17'' all around. I had the springs installed at a shop I didn't tell them to remove the isolators. Even or not the sight of a larger wheel gap in front just doesn't entice me. but I'll give it time, it most likely needs to settle in, I've only had them on for about 100 miles.

I just want to make sure its the springs and nothing else.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

pics?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I installed mine this past Friday with the SLP bilsteins and the rear appears to be lower than the front at first glance; BUT I'm running 295/35/18s on the rear and 265/40/17s on the front and there's probably at least a 1/2" difference in tire height right off the bat. I can fit 2 fingers between the tire and fender in the rear and 3 in the front, it's not scientific but it supports my theory.

The car itself appears to sit level, front to back, with the ground; which is what I think it's supposed to do. I only have maybe 20 miles on the springs so I'll see if it settles over time.

I added new poly swaybar bushings and end links at the same time, keeping the stock SS sway bars. The car is planted on the road now. I mean it's very stable at speed and VERY responsive with almost no body roll (just highway speeds with a little playing, I haven't beat on it yet) in turns. It's a little rougher on crappy roads but that's to be expected and nothing unbearable. I NEED to get v6/Z28 bump stops in the rear because mine are rotted and you will be on them a lot on these Louisiana roads.

I'm ok with the look and happy with the preformance. If the fronts settle after a couple hundred miles/few months I'll be very happy with the look. Worst case adding heater hose to the rear is easy and will even it out

Last edited by Kurt D; 04-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

I can fit 2 fingers between the tire and fender in the rear and 3 in the front, it's not scientific but it supports my theory.
Same here, and I'm running same size tires front & back 245/50/16 Eagle F1 GS D3s.

It's because the front wheel well is 1/2" taller than the back, measured as Sam Strano said from the line of the rocker panels.

People a freaking out about nothing.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Please note that I've heard: Perfect, too low in the rear, too high in the rear, too low in the front, too high in the front. Not much different from stock, totally better than stock, A little lower than stock... and on and on it goes.

The simple fact that you see folks reporting some variance isn't surprising. I always suggest folks look at pics of various cars to get a sense of what they'll get. A picture is worth 1000 words. And I'm sure you've noticed how differently some stock cars sit vs. others. Some sit very high, some lower, some high in the rear, some high in the front... See the pattern? Also there is personal opinion. What someone things looks great, someone else thinks isn't low enough (or is too low).
Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Please note that I've heard: Perfect, too low in the rear, too high in the rear, too low in the front, too high in the front. Not much different from stock, totally better than stock, A little lower than stock... and on and on it goes.

The simple fact that you see folks reporting some variance isn't surprising. I always suggest folks look at pics of various cars to get a sense of what they'll get. A picture is worth 1000 words. And I'm sure you've noticed how differently some stock cars sit vs. others. Some sit very high, some lower, some high in the rear, some high in the front... See the pattern? Also there is personal opinion. What someone things looks great, someone else thinks isn't low enough (or is too low).
And unfortunately, NO ONE will know that I have Sam Strano's German made springs because I have no Strano sticker to display on my toolbox.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul 1953
And unfortunately, NO ONE will know that I have Sam Strano's German made springs because I have no Strano sticker to display on my toolbox.
Agreed, any order from Strano should automatically include stickers
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

To the OP if you are realy not happy with the stance , you said you have koni's so mabe you can drop spring to lower pearch on the frount ???
Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD
To the OP if you are realy not happy with the stance , you said you have koni's so mabe you can drop spring to lower pearch on the frount ???

^^^ not recommended^^^
Old 04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im with these guys on including a sticker with any order. I hate stickers but I would definitely rep a strano performance sticker on my car
Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redracer1
^^^ not recommended^^^
But ok if you do the upper mount mod to regain the lost suspension travel.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only in theory.... It's not impossible for front shocks to break from internal bottoming, it's happened on rare occasions with stock springs on the upper perch. It's just not particularly wise IMHO. Sure the "mod" might help a little, but it's no assurance that there won't be an issue.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

well its been almost a month and nothing yet. Its about a half an inch more wheel gap in the front than the back. People have said it looks like the car is constantly accelerating while its parked. Again I probably just need to wait a little, the fronts are 5x stiffer than the rear after all, but really if it stayed the way it looks now I'd not be too happy with it , it just looks like somethings broken. Less wheel gap in the front is always worse than in the rear.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Launching!

you can try wrapping the rear spring in a thick hose on the bottom and the top, this will help even it out. The springs are easy to take out on the back so dont worry about that.

Quick Reply: Spring settle question Strano's