Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are the stock brakes really....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Anyone who thinks 4th gen brakes suck needs to drive an old car for a couple days. $20 says you rear end someone.
haha...so true.

go drive a 3rd gen for a few days and then hop in a 4th. night and day.

"Ls1" brakes are very popular budget upgrades for us 3rd gen guys.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock calipers are excellent

Keep in mind, our cars have floating calipers. In order to apply full pressure on the rotor, the caliper needs to be able to move freely with the slide pins in the caliper bracket. If one of the slide pins doesn't move smoothly or is seized, the caliper will not be able to center itself over the rotor, and not funtion.

I've been battling the same exact symptoms as OP for a couple weeks - I'd flush with fluid every couple days, got hawk hp+ pads... I'd get good brake feel until a spirited stop, then pedal was mush again, and require 1/2 pedal travel to get even a little bite.. I took a step back and looked at the simple function of our caliper design - I found that each of my front rotors had seized slide pins, after torching the seized pins free, cleaning and re-lubing the slides with high temp grease - my brakes are back. I almost dished out 700+ on a c5 kit, but now realize there is absolutely no need, I came to a hard stop from spirited speeds and it made my vision blur, I now find myself speeding up just so I can feel the force of my brakes.

Quick Reply: Are the stock brakes really....