See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Good choices for next suspension mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good choices for next suspension mods?

Gotten bored with the Z so that usually means it's time to buy more parts Going to pick up some 2 point weld-in SFC's, LCA relocation brackets, and on-car adj. LCA's with the poly/roto joint ends. I know the SFC's will be a huge increase in rigidity for the chassis, will I be able to notice much difference with the brackets and lca's in terms of handling? Or would I be better off putting the money into other suspension components, such as sway bars? I already have KYB's and Strano springs and an adj. PHB, and I'm looking to keep my purchase price under $500 for this round of mods.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It really depends on what you are trying to do with the car. The sway bars will make a bigger difference in the handling department but the other parts listed will help more with overall traction and launching. Either way you will feel a difference it just depends on what kind of driving you are doing with the car and what you want out of it.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Launching!

I'd really prefer not to make the car an uncomfortable drag setup car, I did that on my last car and it got the point that it wasn't enjoyable to daily drive. I want to focus more on the handling with my Camaro as I'd like to try out some local auto-x events plus it will be taking corners daily way more than launching at the drag strip.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

I think you would look at LCAs if you are having wheel hop or other launching issues. If not, sway bars probably should be your next mod.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
I think you would look at LCAs if you are having wheel hop or other launching issues. If not, sway bars probably should be your next mod.
Correct, LCA's and LCA brackets are going to be a traction improvement rather than much handling improvement. Since you are looking more for handling at this time I suggest starting with the sway bars. The subframe connectors are always a good choice.

I hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I didnt notice much of a difference launching with the lower rear control arms (with roto ends), mind you i did not go with the re-located ones either.

I did however notice a nice difference in sway bars and SFC's(3 point) in terms of handling and a tighter feeling car.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Well I went ahead with the SFC's, and the relocation brackets for now to see if those alone will help with some of the wheelhop. Saving the money from the LCA's to go towards sways as my next purchase.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just did the lca's with the same existing mods (poly/poly) ; not much difference as a DD... torque arm though; just finished today and makes it feel like a new car. i should/would have done the front sway instead of lca's. the brackets should be enough to help correct the lca angle... but let us know how much you feel the sfc's... 2 r 3 point?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Got the 2 point weld-in's finally installed today along with the relocation brackets. The brackets seemed to have helped the traction going into 2nd, no wheel hop at all. The SFC's seem to have really tightened the chassis up, I haven't heard any squeaks or rattles the whole drive home
Old 05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question

I'm interested what you noticed with the new torque arm on a DD? A little more specificity please? Also, what style/brand did you go with?

Originally Posted by rabbit320
just did the lca's with the same existing mods (poly/poly) ; not much difference as a DD... torque arm though; just finished today and makes it feel like a new car. i should/would have done the front sway instead of lca's. the brackets should be enough to help correct the lca angle... but let us know how much you feel the sfc's... 2 r 3 point?

Quick Reply: Good choices for next suspension mods?