Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem under hard braking

Ok, so my brakes work just fine under normal braking, but under hard braking I get a terrible "notchy" feeling in the pedal, and my braking distance increases because it feels like the pedal can't make full depression because it gets...knocked up and down I guess. I do not have warped rotors, and I scanned it with a Tech 2 and there are no ABS codes and no history of ABS codes, but I've been told it's probably an ABS problem...could it be mechanical? I am scared that the problem will get worse, then one day I won't have brakes when I really need them!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have either warped rotors or a high/low spot on one of the rotors. Or its just ABS kicking in.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Is it your ABS going off? If you aren't sure, can you try a hard stop on a wet parking lot or something like that to confirm the feeling?

If its ABS and you have no codes, you may just have a sensor reporting bad information and causing the system to trigger.

If you can recreate the issue in a safe place, maybe you can pull the ABS fuse under the hood (I assume that's where it is.) to deactivate the system and see what happens?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Is it your ABS going off? If you aren't sure, can you try a hard stop on a wet parking lot or something like that to confirm the feeling?

If its ABS and you have no codes, you may just have a sensor reporting bad information and causing the system to trigger.

If you can recreate the issue in a safe place, maybe you can pull the ABS fuse under the hood (I assume that's where it is.) to deactivate the system and see what happens?
I can and have recreated it a 100 hundred times, it's so easy to do. That might actually be a good idea-I don't know where the fuze is, but I can find out! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I wonder if this is the problem I have. A few weeks ago I changed on my rotors and pads, the braking in normal speeds feels fine but when I go fast and do a hard brake it feels and hears like the brake pads are grinding or something. Hopefully nothing is wrong :/
Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know you don't have warped rotors? You won't be able to tell be look or feel unless they are warped pretty good.

I only say this because it sounds like warped rotors.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CorbinLR
How do you know you don't have warped rotors? You won't be able to tell be look or feel unless they are warped pretty good.

I only say this because it sounds like warped rotors.
Well I've had warped rotors before and it was a very clear pulsating feeling going through the whole car. My problem is a very rapid notchy feeling (I wish I had a better word for it) only in the pedal. And there's no grinding noise really, just...I don't know how to describe it, but it's not grinding lol. But nonetheless, I'll double check the condition of my rotors just to be sure.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I have no other way to describe it either lol.

Quick Reply: Problem under hard braking