Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD shocks ok to use with lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Go ahead and put a bracket on bracket.....that will add some weight. I have removed weight and accomplished the same. Performance wise i think I have a advantage in the end.....plus my way don't cost anything
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to get new shocks, I'm just looking into lowering springs. From the looks of it, I'm just going to keep my height as is, it's low enough, I'm a tall guy (6'3) lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
That seems to be the general consensus. The Bilstein's seem to be very well built for the price...if you can't afford Koni's, they're still probably the #1 recommended street shock.

I'm just curious, what kind of springs? Do you put a lot of miles on it?
SLP'S and pro kit for years as well. love em.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Go ahead and put a bracket on bracket.....that will add some weight. I have removed weight and accomplished the same. Performance wise i think I have a advantage in the end.....plus my way don't cost anything
Like I pointed out ... welding LCA relocation brackets onto existing brackets has been done for years. First I've heard it being a big issue. Should all those guys now remove them?

Weight reduction and zero cost are positives, for sure. Removing weight on the rear increases front weight bias, though. A HUGE negative.

So do you go up in rear sway bar size or spring rate to compensate? Both cost money and add weight, BTW.

UE moves the whole PHB lower, lowering the roll center and CG and at a whopping 2lb weight penalty.

And none of this has anything to do with Bilstein shocks on lowering springs. Enthusiasts have been doing it for decades and the sun still rises in the east each day.

Is it the best? no. But it will serve you well for years to come.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD shocks ok to use with lowering springs?