Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD shocks ok to use with lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bilstein HD shocks ok to use with lowering springs?

my car has 95k on it and i want new shocks. I dont really race it or need an expensive *** adjustible shock. I'm just curious if they're ok to use with lowering springs.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been posted on here a lot. The general concensus seems to be that HDs and lowering springs do not work very well together. The lower the drop, the worse the ride.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of springs? They're definitely not the best for lowering, but not the worst either....as mentioned, the lower the drop or higher the rates, the less they'll be able to handle the new springs.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

i thought there was a set of bilsteins you could use with lowering springs...i guess i was wrong
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

HD and SLP bilsteins should do okay with lowering springs
Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can use any shock with lower springs, it's just that the SLP's and HD's aren't really valved for the higher rates/lower travel that accompanies lowering springs....they work, and can work well, but but they won't necessarily last as long or work as well as shocks like Koni's that are designed to work with a wider range of springs.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, but for how long? Reportedly, their life will be hastened in that configuration.

Originally Posted by RyanAndyBob
HD and SLP bilsteins should do okay with lowering springs
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

No, not as well as konis on any application, but for the price, they are some of the best non-adjustable shocks and for a fair price
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Ive ran mine with lowering springs for 10yrs and they seem fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanAndyBob
No, not as well as konis on any application, but for the price, they are some of the best non-adjustable shocks and for a fair price
That seems to be the general consensus. The Bilstein's seem to be very well built for the price...if you can't afford Koni's, they're still probably the #1 recommended street shock.

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Ive ran mine with lowering springs for 10yrs and they seem fine.
I'm just curious, what kind of springs? Do you put a lot of miles on it?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Alot....their hotchkis springs. I put them on @ probally 15k and the car has about 110k on it now. I've had it since new and it came with the slp bilteins. It seems to be a great setup. It is by far the best handleing fbody I've set my *** in, especially with a aggresive set of tires.. Although I have done little tricks to make it all come together
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Do tell this tricks that you speak of kind sir
Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have bilsteins HD's with stanos, the car rides and handles really good.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmdz28
Do tell this tricks that you speak of kind sir
Stuff like shorten the sway bar links to the swaybar it sets level (this one really makes a difference), clearenceing stuff so it has suspesion travel with out beating it'self to death. I also did the heater hose mod to remove the rear isolaters, which lead me to shorten the rear bumpstop. Finally , when a fbody sets this low you need to remove the upper brace above the panhard rod, shorten the panhard rod enough to put in in the bolthole of the brace on the body side so the panhard rod comes back to level, that helps the car cornerflatter because your rollcenters are fucked up from lowering it. If your wonder how / why I figured all this out....I worked on roadrace cars for 17 years. Sometimes it's the little things that matter.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally , when a fbody sets this low you need to remove the upper brace above the panhard rod, shorten the panhard rod enough to put in in the bolthole of the brace on the body side so the panhard rod comes back to level, that helps the car cornerflatter because your rollcenters are fucked up from lowering it. If your wonder how / why I figured all this out....I worked on roadrace cars for 17 years. Sometimes it's the little things that matter.
So you moved the body side mount up 3" and removed the upper brace?

To get the PHB once again level, you must have really lowered the car's ride height significantly.

Have you not seen any tearing or ripping of the body side mount? We've been tearing the axle side loose.

Finally, why didn't you just fab a relocation bracket and keep the upper brace?

BTW ... Bilstein HD shock and lowering springs (Eibach, LGM, Spohn, Hotchkis ...) have been a staple on F-Cars since the early 90s.

There are certain circumstances where a Koni, AST or Penske will out perform. But in the real world, only a handful of enthusiasts who post here really ever get their car to that point. It takes a long string of modifications to the suspension and driver talent to push an F-Car to that point.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

I have SLP bilsteins and was thinking about lowering, never really thought about lowering it but it looks real sick on cars that are lowered. You guys saying my bilsteins wont work good for example a Eibach kit? And since I'm not familiar with springs, how high/low is mine compared to a lowered spring set? Mine came w/ stock slp springs.

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 04-27-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
So you moved the body side mount up 3" and removed the upper brace?

To get the PHB once again level, you must have really lowered the car's ride height significantly.

Have you not seen any tearing or ripping of the body side mount? We've been tearing the axle side loose.

Finally, why didn't you just fab a relocation bracket and keep the upper brace?

BTW ... Bilstein HD shock and lowering springs (Eibach, LGM, Spohn, Hotchkis ...) have been a staple on F-Cars since the early 90s.

There are certain circumstances where a Koni, AST or Penske will out perform. But in the real world, only a handful of enthusiasts who post here really ever get their car to that point. It takes a long string of modifications to the suspension and driver talent to push an F-Car to that point.
It's not 3", it's about 1 5/8". Removing the brace brace lost weight. Moving the pan/rod up to that hole reduced leverage on that bracket. If I would've made a bracket off the bracket.....well that just does sound right does it? 0 problems it 80k or so, but I have seen another car break the axle side bracket....but it took a hard hit.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
I have SLP bilsteins and was thinking about lowering, never really thought about lowering it but it looks real sick on cars that are lowered. You guys saying my bilsteins wont work good for example a Eibach kit? And since I'm not familiar with springs, how high/low is mine compared to a lowered spring set? Mine came w/ stock slp springs.
The hotchkis springs will drop it about 1.5" over the slp eibachs that should've came on the car. The hotchkis's also are almost identicle to the spring rate on your car now....so ride won't change as long as you do the little tricks I posted above. This is the stance it will have with the hotchkis springs and the heater hose mod.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hotchkis springs will drop it about 1.5" over the slp eibachs that should've came on the car. The hotchkis's also are almost identicle to the spring rate on your car now....so ride won't change as long as you do the little tricks I posted above. This is the stance it will have with the hotchkis springs and the heater hose mod.
The Hotchkis springs are supposed to drop about 1", not 1.5" + the drop from the Eibachs (not that they have much of a drop to begin with).

Also, I never said they won't work good with lowering springs, just saying that there are better options out there to work with the higher rates/less travel if you can spend some more money. If you already have SLP Bilsteins, I wouldn't bother changing the shocks out right now.

If you have stock DeCarbons, then I'd consider moving up to a better shock. As for cars coming with stock Bilsteins, I wouldn't bother moving up to a better shock unless you're dissatisfied with the ride/performance or your shocks are worn out and need replacing anyways. No sense in spending more money if you don't have to.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not 3", it's about 1 5/8". Removing the brace brace lost weight. Moving the pan/rod up to that hole reduced leverage on that bracket. If I would've made a bracket off the bracket.....well that just does sound right does it? 0 problems it 80k or so, but I have seen another car break the axle side bracket....but it took a hard hit.
Really? Folks relocate the lower control arms with a bracket on a bracket all the time.

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/

Jason's had good luck with reloaction the PHB lower and leaving the upper in place.

I have pics somewhere of the 10 bolt PHB bracket with stress cracks ... at 260HP!

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD shocks ok to use with lowering springs?