Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help/tips on how to adjust QA1's ride height

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help/tips on how to adjust QA1's ride height

I feel like a dumbass for not researching the install prior to installing my QA1(12 way adj/300lb) front coilover setup and even worse for letting someone else do it for me! So I've been too busy with work and my cousin offered to install the coilover setup. They were already on the car when I got home and the front of the car was slammed(couldn't fit a finger between tire and fender) to the ground. So I say no problem let's just jack it up, take off the wheels and adjust it with the spanner wrench. Well that was easier said then done. It was hard as hell to turn that wrench and only got harder as I turned more n more! Turned and turned and barely managed to get a finger's distance between the tire and fender! What am I doing wrong or how do I go about adjusting it to get it a little higher? Do I have to take them completely off and adjust them while off the car or what? I already tried researching but found nothin of this sort. Help would be appreciated guys! I've read about people saying these don't really lower their cars much so why is mine the total opposite?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-if you lift the car off the ground, it will take most of the pressure off the spring.
-spray the threads and the top surface of the perch with wd-40 to help it slide (i too was a dumbass and didnt get the bearing kit... kicking myself in the *** for that one).

i was able to muscle through it... but it wasnt easy. if you are having a hard time, it would be 100x easier with the wheels off, but you gotta keep lowering the car to check the height... so maybe you just loosely spin on a couple lugs just to set it down.

another option if you are struggling, is to put a set of spring compressors on the spring to help take the pressure off.

also remember that you gotta bounce the car a bunch to let it 'settle'. even then, it might sink a bit more after you drive it around the block. i thought i had mine even with the back, but after driving it around, i think i need to come up another centimeter.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Invest in a torrington bearing kit for the top perch. Makes a world of difference.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
-if you lift the car off the ground, it will take most of the pressure off the spring.
-spray the threads and the top surface of the perch with wd-40 to help it slide (i too was a dumbass and didnt get the bearing kit... kicking myself in the *** for that one).

i was able to muscle through it... but it wasnt easy. if you are having a hard time, it would be 100x easier with the wheels off, but you gotta keep lowering the car to check the height... so maybe you just loosely spin on a couple lugs just to set it down.

another option if you are struggling, is to put a set of spring compressors on the spring to help take the pressure off.

also remember that you gotta bounce the car a bunch to let it 'settle'. even then, it might sink a bit more after you drive it around the block. i thought i had mine even with the back, but after driving it around, i think i need to come up another centimeter.
I already had the spring compressors that day and tried compressing them but only did it as much as I could while still being able to take the compressors out. The wheels were off and I did lower it a couple of times n only put a couple of lugnuts just to let it sit and watch the height.

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Invest in a torrington bearing kit for the top perch. Makes a world of difference.
Please educate me as to what that is and how it would assist me in my problem. Please pardon my ignorance but I just researched it and got nothin but but bearing kits for trannys!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

how much for the bearing kit and where can I get it?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by conde'strans
how much for the bearing kit and where can I get it?
It is a bearing that goes on the top perch. It goes between the perch and and the spring itself. Link below has a picture of one and you can see how it could help a lot. I got mine from a local race car shop for $25 but they are available all over online.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1345&bih=612#
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
It is a bearing that goes on the top perch. It goes between the perch and and the spring itself. Link below has a picture of one and you can see how it could help a lot. I got mine from a local race car shop for $25 but they are available all over online.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1345&bih=612#
Ok, so it's basically a spacer then! I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

It really just a bearing, not much of a spacer. They are very thin. It goes shim, bearing, shim. Just takes some of the friction out when trying to turn the perch.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

^^Thankyou for the info you've been very helpful I just ordered the QA1 thrust coilover bearing kit from Summit.

Quick Reply: Help/tips on how to adjust QA1's ride height