Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS vs. Wagner Severe Duty pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Hawk HPS vs. Wagner Severe Duty pads?

I am due for new pads soon, and wondered if pads like Hawk HPS are any better than the Wagner Severe Duty pads, for primarily street use, occasional autocross for a Camaro SS?

Anyone have experience with both on the same car?

TIA

Update: clarified that these are NOT ThermoQuiet pads.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-30-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the Wagner Severe Duty Thermoquiets are anything like the Thermoquiets I had on my Camaro before, I'd steer clear. The braking sucked, and they still managed to dust a fair amount (although not as much as the Hawk HPS pads on the car now). The Wagners in the rain were even worse...it essentially felt like I didn't have any brakes unless I really applied some pressure to the pedal.

Not sure what makes them "severe duty", but I have a feeling the braking characteristics are probably similar. Maybe not...who knows. Just my $.02.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

The sever duty pads are for heavy trucks or vehicles that tow often. I have the regular thermo quiets and have the same experiences as meentss02
Old 06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

While I have not tested the Wagner's personally, I would stick with a pad that has a track record and is a proven performer.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Well they *do* sell a 4th Gen Severe Duty pad, but my error, they are NOT actually part of the ThermoQuiet line. They are Wagner's top semi-metallic:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...1638264361____

-- anybody here used these then?

Mfr link:
http://www.federalmogul.com/en/After...ty/Severeduty/

I also found it interesting that Federal-Mogul makes both Wagner and Ferodo...

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
The sever duty pads are for heavy trucks or vehicles that tow often. I have the regular thermo quiets and have the same experiences as meentss02

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-30-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Wagner Brake Products, a Federal-Mogul Corp. operation, has introduced a line of disc brake pads and shows [sic] for truck, school bus, emergency vehicle and other severe-use applications."

That alone would cause me not to buy them for a performance vehicle. And, why bother with an "if" from Wagner, when you can go with a guaranteed good brake pad from Hawk?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

I would like to hear from anyone who has used these. It's one thing to read ad copy, and another to experience using the product.

Ironically, Hawk Performance, who's made by Wellmen Products, bills itself as "the world’s leader in severe-duty friction products". SO there is no "stigma" with a "severe duty" pad.

Originally Posted by Element
"Wagner Brake Products, a Federal-Mogul Corp. operation, has introduced a line of disc brake pads and shows [sic] for truck, school bus, emergency vehicle and other severe-use applications."

That alone would cause me not to buy them for a performance vehicle. And, why bother with an "if" from Wagner, when you can go with a guaranteed good brake pad from Hawk?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I would like to hear from anyone who has used these. It's one thing to read ad copy, and another to experience using the product.

Ironically, Hawk Performance, who's made by Wellmen Products, bills itself as "the world’s leader in severe-duty friction products". SO there is no "stigma" with a "severe duty" pad.
Except Hawk pads are actually designed to be race pads, whereas "severe duty" pads are designed for high-GVWR applications like dump trucks and the like, which is a completely different type of operating environment. Not quite sure what the marketing blip for a company has to do with comparing two different types of brake pads...

I am interested to see if anyone's run dump truck brakes on their f-body, and what their impressions were, though.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS vs. Wagner Severe Duty pads?