Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How far do I go with suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far do I go with suspension upgrades?

I've had a 95' Camaro z28 for a few years now, and finally have some money to do some upgrades. Currently the car is basically stock. My ultimate goal is to have a 400-450HP car used mainly for auto-X, but I want to keep it comfortable as a daily driver. My first upgrade will be to improve handling.

What is the first steps to improving handling? I found a couple suspension kits from BMR. Comments on these kits are welcomed.

https://securec20.ezhostingserver.co...&productid=342

https://securec20.ezhostingserver.co...&productid=341

I thought about doing just springs and shocks, but figure I might benefit from some of the sway bars and braces as well.

How much of a difference will these braces make?

I am also wondering if I will run into problems with tire size if the car is dropped 1-1.5"? Can i run 315 tires without rubbing?

Are these kits just bolt on? or are other modifications required?

I don't know a lot about suspension components, and the quality of them. If anyone has any better suggestions of different kits, feel free to comment.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

i have UMI but BMR is about the same, do PHB,LCA,SFC,sway bars and that will get you were you want to be
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suspension mods for auto x would be Strano Sways > Koni 4/4s > Strano Springs and a PHB or Watts Link (depending on your budget) in that order.

Properly thought out lowering springs will have a higher spring rate to keep from bottoming out. This will provide a harsher ride but in honesty it's not that big of a deal. I roll Strano springs and my spine is fused and they don't bother me.

From what I've heard the strut tower brace, or STB, and the tunnel brace provide little to no noticeable gain over stock. I personally have no plans to run a STB and am only replacing my tunnel brace because I have a tunnel mounted torque arm.

I assume you want to run 315s only on the back, you're probably going to have to crawl under your ride and look things over. My WS.6 is tubbed so I can't really help you there. If, by any chance, you're wanting to run 315s on the front I think you can do it but will need longer studs, rolled fenders and a spacer. IIRC it's 3/16s. If you want I can look it up for you. I've heard it's easier to clear 315s on the front if your car has been lowered.

The BMR Level I kit you posted up appears to be all bolt-on. However, changing the springs and front shocks can get involved if you haven't ever compressed a spring or have a crappy compressor.

The BMR Level II kit you posted up, for the most part, looks the same as the Level I, as far as installation is concerned. However, it also includes weld-on subframe connectors.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

If you want an auto x setup, Sam Strano is the man to talk to.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=89&ModelID=2

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=66&ModelID=2

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=89&ModelID=2
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with a better quality shock than the BMR kits provide (Koni > Bilstein > KYB > Tokico), as your dampeners are arguably your most important suspension piece for handling. Koni's and KYB shocks provide adjustability, but Koni's and Bilstein's are built better than KYB's. The first Strano kit listed (with Koni 4/3's, Strano springs, and 35/22 sways) is a great setup for auto-x and street.

The other problem with the BMR kit is that the 25mm rear bar is pretty big when paired with a 35mm front bar. I don't know what difference the wider rear tire makes though (I've heard it changes your handling balance), so maybe take this last comment with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable can answer it. Strano does also provide adjustable sway bars though so you can dial your roll resistance in to your likeing.

As far as the other parts, I would only really recommend replacing your PHB with an adjustable one or getting a Watt's link, and possibly some SFC's. The other stuff isn't really necessary (but I would say that upgrading your brake pads + fluid + lines is worth while!)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
I'd go with a better quality shock than the BMR kits provide (Koni > Bilstein > KYB > Tokico), as your dampeners are arguably your most important suspension piece for handling. Koni's and KYB shocks provide adjustability, but Koni's and Bilstein's are built better than KYB's. The first Strano kit listed (with Koni 4/3's, Strano springs, and 35/22 sways) is a great setup for auto-x and street.

The other problem with the BMR kit is that the 25mm rear bar is pretty big when paired with a 35mm front bar. I don't know what difference the wider rear tire makes though (I've heard it changes your handling balance), so maybe take this last comment with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable can answer it. Strano does also provide adjustable sway bars though so you can dial your roll resistance in to your likeing.

As far as the other parts, I would only really recommend replacing your PHB with an adjustable one or getting a Watt's link, and possibly some SFC's. The other stuff isn't really necessary (but I would say that upgrading your brake pads + fluid + lines is worth while!)
We carry suspension kits for the 4th gen f-body that include Koni shocks so we have many different package options depending on the individuals budget. if you do not see a package that meets your needs all you have to do is give us a call at the shop and we can build you a custom suspension package.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

We'll both be biased....

The kits you are looking at use shocks I've used for years. I developed my own springs, and my own swaybars to compliment those springs. Even the verbiage that some others are using are terms I started using to describe things.

Bottom line. I've been doing kits that are proven to work (see the fact I have multiple National Championships running this stuff). I think a 25mm bar is too big, that's why I don't use one. I can't really stop it if folks try and replicate what I've been doing, but I know they can't 100% do it. And even if they could parts-wise.... the setup of those parts is important, and I include that information to my customers.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
We carry suspension kits for the 4th gen f-body that include Koni shocks so we have many different package options depending on the individuals budget. if you do not see a package that meets your needs all you have to do is give us a call at the shop and we can build you a custom suspension package.
Don't get me wrong, I know your company sells Koni's and would put together a suspension package based on that, I just was referring to the kits shown by the OP.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Keep doing your research, I would highly recommend sub frame connectors, I have a weld in tubular set from BMR. Lowering the car on quality shocks/ springs will help the handling... and why are you going with 315? You can still have a great handling car with a little less rear tire..then you won't have to worry as much as clearance issues.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
Keep doing your research, I would highly recommend sub frame connectors, I have a weld in tubular set from BMR. Lowering the car on quality shocks/ springs will help the handling... and why are you going with 315? You can still have a great handling car with a little less rear tire..then you won't have to worry as much as clearance issues.
No reason not to run 315s...adjustable PHR and a little massaging will make them fit fine. I'm going with 335s on mine just to be a contrary bastard.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions.

I disagree with some of the above sentiments and would get SFCs right after nearly everything else and right before an STB.

My car is also my daily so in some respects it is compromised for some ride quality but for the most part I am happy with how it performs, and it is about 1000x better than stock. I have Koni SA's with stock springs, 35/22mm hollow bars from Strano, stock springs, and the Fays2 Watts. I also pressed out the original bushings from the OEM LCA's and pressed in some Moog replacements.

Just replacing the shocks with Koni or Bilsteins will make the car seem entirely different. The OEM damping is absolutely terrible for the stock spring rates. The weight of the car will feel more controlled and you will also find that the "chassis flex" is in large part gone.

Tires are the other critical part of the equation. The actual tires, not just wheel sizing (which is important too and will affect your choice of spring / bars for balance).

If I were to do anything else I might get springs, but have been somewhat avoiding them because of how bad the roads are around where I live, and because of the overabundance of very steep drives, tall speed bumps, and my LTs. But there are several good springs and there are different drops and rates so just try to figure out exactly what you want. Personally I would go with the ones that offer about a 1" drop, are reasonably priced, have good rates, and are the lightest...

As far as the Watts goes, it is another part that really needs to be done after you fix the OEM shocks, and get the springs / bars you want. The caveat to that is you might end up wanting more (or less) rear bar with the Watts versus the Panhard but that partly depends partly on what height roll center you want and if you are going to try to change rear bar rate or roll center to mess with balance.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated! Very helpful

Quick Reply: How far do I go with suspension upgrades?