Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions on installing a BMR trak Pak TA

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions on installing a BMR trak Pak TA

Picked one of these up last week for the project car and have some questions.

The cars been caged, and the shop also installed 1 3/4 round subframe connectors running down the inside of the rocker panels (outside, not inside the car) Since these are mostly tucked up behind the rocker pinch weld, the BMR crossmember misses them by a mile

the crossmember lands right across the body brace mounts, but other install pics ive seen it seams to be behind said mounts.

wondering if i can just cut a slot in the floorboards and move the entire crossmember up till its even with the subframe connectors. Otherwise i have to build some sort of gusset drop boxes to tie everything together

Will it cause any geometry problems moving it up like that ?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres a pic i found...

They are supposed to mount to the subframes. Can you add in your own secions of round steel pipe? Just to make it a few inches longer on each side. I would go that route before welding it to the floor board.

I had this on my TA, but I used BMR sub fames, so they worked together. I also didnt tie it into the mounts like in the picture. Its probably a good thing if you can, but you dont have to.

As far as geometry, just make sure the torque arm is centered (not cocked to one side) and that it the rearend sits level. Other then that It shouldnt matter if its a couple inches forward or back.

Also, try and tuck it up as much as possible... even on a non lowered car it can rub.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I'm cutting the brace mounts off completely, and at the very least im flatting out the stiffening ribs in the floor so the cross member sits flat against the floor. Hopefully that is enough to get it close enough to work with.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodKid
Picked one of these up last week for the project car and have some questions.

The cars been caged, and the shop also installed 1 3/4 round subframe connectors running down the inside of the rocker panels (outside, not inside the car) Since these are mostly tucked up behind the rocker pinch weld, the BMR crossmember misses them by a mile

the crossmember lands right across the body brace mounts, but other install pics ive seen it seams to be behind said mounts.

wondering if i can just cut a slot in the floorboards and move the entire crossmember up till its even with the subframe connectors. Otherwise i have to build some sort of gusset drop boxes to tie everything together

Will it cause any geometry problems moving it up like that ?
There is some movement that can be had in the crossbrace when installing it. Most of the time guys who run the BMR Trak Pak will just mount the crossbrace to the subframe connectors in your case this obvisouly isn't going to work. You can mount that crossbrace pretty high the only thing that will really change will be the instant center. Also you could weld extensions to the end of the crossbrace if you needed the crossbrace to be wider.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Got it part way in today. Due to the engine / trans combo we swapped in I decided to shy a bit to the drivers side with the cross member for the sake of driveshaft clearance (about a 1/2" to the left @ the front) I then cut out a section of the interior seat brace, buzzed some slots in the floor, and pounded the resulting "flaps" in a good bit. I now have a TON of space for the front of the torque arm to move as it pleases without touching the floor boards.

Got the cuts about 1/2 welded up / ground down again before the neighbor came over screaming about noise. I expect the cops will get called tomorrow.

Tomorrow Ill finish up the "dent" and reconstruct the seat brace somewhat. Not really worried about it because the BMR cross member will be tied into the floor at the same spot and is a weee bit stronger then the sheet metal seat rail
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you could put some pictures up of how you got everything to work. Or even better yet e-mail them over to me.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Once i find my battery charger I'll get some pics. It doesn't extend much farther then the factory seat brace so its quite possible that it would work for anyone retaining the factory interior.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

nothing pretty about it, but oh well.

and a bonus shot of the radiator support which still needs its FMIC lower brackets installed,the turbo hanger, and also the new trans cross member which needs finishing

Last edited by HotRodKid; 08-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

What kind of motor are using? It also looks like you are using a BMR SBC/BBC k-member?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Taurus SHO 3.2L w/ forged slugs backed by a T400 w/ transbrake and a 5500 stall. And yes thats a BMR turbo cross member

I'll have pics of the driveshaft fitment when we drop the motor / trans back in, I have them out so i can get the firewall notch all put together finally.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Teching In

DS in, trans now properly centered too, still have to shove teh car outside and do my pass side brace between the BMR cross member and SFC

Quick Reply: Questions on installing a BMR trak Pak TA