Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who uses Bilstein HD's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who uses Bilstein HD's?

What springs do you use with Bilstein HD's
I have 100k on my stock decarbons and springs and want to replace them. I track the car at Texas World Speedway about twice a year and otherwise use the car as a daily driver. I would only like to drop my car 1" max. I was thinking of going with either:

A. HD's and 1LE springs
B. HD's and BMR springs
C. HD's and Hotchkins

Anyone with these setups?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Comp Cam .224/.224 .581/.581 114LSA, 3.42 Richmond Gears, Hooker LT's, Hooker ORY, Hooker Catback, Powerslot Rotors, G2 Air Induction Lid with K&N, Fasttoys Ram Air System, BMR Strut tower brace, LCA's, Adj Panhard Rod, Spiderbar subframe connectors, MSD 8.5 ignition wires, 160 hypertech thermostat, Custom Programming, SS appearence package.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hotchkiss and HDs (SLP rear = HD rear) I found to be
pretty harsh. A good cornering feel but also feel every
ripple in detail. I think if you go with a higher or a
progressive spring you will like the SLP Bilstein fronts
better than the HDs.

Not sure if the 1LEs are the same as the SLP Eibachs,
those are slightly softer and slightly less drop than
the Hotchkiss. Never seems to be a deal on just the
SLP springs and shocks though, the only combo has
you buying a bunch of other junk (inferior panhard,
LCAs just for the 1LE bushings, etc.). But piece part
wise they're not too out of line with other options
and you should check them out.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Launching!

HD's here with stock springs. Mine are revalved and are a bit harsher then stock but overall a great improvement. I am thinking about going with the SLP eibach springs since they are only about a 1" drop. I spoke to Strano about doing this with the valving that I have and was advised it would be fine since the SLP spring isn't a dramatic change and only drops one inch.

JasonG
Old 03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have them on a progressive spring - dms springs to be exact. it's a rough ride, but almost anything non-stock will be rougher than stock. i don't mind it at all. my car corners a lot better. i drove my friend's stock Z and it doesn't handle nearly as well. the only suspension mods i have are the shocks and the springs.

i think revalves are a waste of time and money unless you auto-x or road race your car, and even then, it's up in the air. and if you do race in that form very seriously, you should probably be spending your money on the koni's anyway and no, i'm not the only person who thinks this way either.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Launching!

all i got to say is this... i had the decarbons with sportlines on. a few weeks ago i switched to bmr springs and blistein hd shocks. WOW! what a difference. the car has a great stance and rides great! i higly reccomend the combo. dont forget the relocation brackets. bolt on are EASY! i think people underate brm stuff... but ive only got a few weeks of bmr experiance.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed the Pro Kit and HD's and I am same -WOW. I cant beleive the ride, it feels so tight yet its smooth, not rought at all. Also the look is great, it sits lower then I thought. I would be afraid of the Sport Lines I think.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steelsnow
dont forget the relocation brackets.
not a necessity by any means.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I really like the stance of the dms springs, but am afraid I will keep bottoming out. That hooker ORY is pretty low So far it looks like I am leaning towards the BMR's/HD's or Take off springs/HD's.. Any other input anyone? Thanks again!!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Launching!

yea, im thinking if i have relocation brackets with my sportlines i'd of had better traction for sure. you might not need them as bad with the bmr springs, but i still suggest them. it will get all the geometry back to how it was when it was stock.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Teching In

I have Bilstein HD's with Hotchkis springs. The ride is pretty good and handling is much improved over stock. It lowered the car a little less than 1.5 inches. I am really happy with this setup.