Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pads and rotors suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads and rotors suggestions

Need to replace my rotors and pads on my 02 again.. last time was a last minute need it now and got a set online for "a good price" that ended up being crap. It was the slotted kind and whatever pads...

Looking for a set of non-drilled/slotted rotors (so they can be turned when/if they start to warp like my current ones are) and a set of good pads.

This is my daily/only car, so I am not looking for ones that squeel, or generate a significant amount of brake dust.

I drive it harder than I probably should, but i enjoy the car, so why not?

Any suggestions? Money is a factor, but I don't want to have to replace them within 2 years again due to cheap quality.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the napa premium blanks. Guys seem to have good luck with those. Pair them with some hawk pads and you should be happy... If not brakemotive normally has really good prices on pads and rotors even though you had talked about not wanting slotted and drilled.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would get a set of decent blanks from your local auto parts store then get some Hawk HPS pads. I was skeptical at first but honestly, they drive like stock until you lean on the pedal and then they bite hard. They do not play around for a 100% streetable pad IMO, but still very civil.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Don't stop there.
Go pop the 120 bucks and get the braided teflon brake lines also.
Night n day difference over the old stock stuff.
They hit NOW, when you jump on em.
No sponge at all.
Well worth the bucks.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
Don't stop there.
Go pop the 120 bucks and get the braided teflon brake lines also.
Night n day difference over the old stock stuff.
They hit NOW, when you jump on em.
No sponge at all.
Well worth the bucks.
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that.. looking where I can get those as I type..
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

despite what people think, as long as rubber lines are in good condition, they function just as well as braided lines. if they have ever actually expanded to the point of affecting braking, then they are completely rotted and should have been replaced anyway.

there is no difference at all when comparing good condition stock rubber lines and braided lines. i know many people who race competitively on rubber lines. the main reason for the upgrade is abrasion resistance.

if you want them, go ahead and get them, but they will not suddenly help you brake better. as far as pads, if you want low dust, dont get hawks. look for some kind of ceramic pad, they tend to dust less. i dont have much experience with low dust pads, so read some reviews on sites like tirerack.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Ceramic pads are crap for stopping power and everything about being the most civilized brake pad available. They are not for someone who drives a 300+hp car spiritedly.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that.. looking where I can get those as I type..
Here ya go....
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...d-brake-lines/
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Brakemotive and other sponsors always have good deals on blanks. I run Performance Ceramic Hawk pads and I experience low dust.

Only thing I will say is nowadays rotors are not really meant to be turned. Its almost always better to replace the rotors. Even if you get the rotors turned I see the problem coming back in the near future, if not worse than before.

Get yourself a good set of rotors/pads and they will last you a long time. Ive come to like zinc coated rotors, because they dont rust as near as bad. Just be careful not to overheat/warp whatever rotors you buy!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

if you still like the idea of slotted rotors but not the warping part, then i can chime in. i have ebc slotted rotors front and back, and the redstuff pads. i beattttt on my brakes and have not noticed any brake pulsing or rotor warping. thats usually caused by inferior metals that cheap rotors are made from. also, as for brake feel, they brake like normal, but once i start to lay into the brake pedal jussst a tad, they stop right friggin now. day and night difference between my stock brakes, and no fade from ~100 mph
Old 09-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Well, I went with the Brakemotive full set of rotors and pads, showed up yesterday. Installing tomorrow...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I highly suggest Power Slot rotors. They are now owned by Centric, the parent company to Stop Tech. The quality of the new Power Slot rotors rivals any replacement rotor I've found. Price is good too.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Pads and rotors suggestions