Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sick of my car being lowered

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sick of my car being lowered

So i bought my 2000 trans am lowered and ive grown to hate it. Im ready to put it back up to where it should but i need some info on what parts ill need to swap out.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Have any pics of how low it is?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as the front upper mounts are in good shape; oem springs and a front-end alignment.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on what your running now. Ideally we should hope whoever installed those lowering springs used the stock strut mounts up front, and that's not a real big issue because you could technically ****** up some OE strut mounts if you found some stock springs, and honestly that's all you really need, some stock springs to put you back at normal height. Most aftermarket struts work with stock shocks, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure your not running anything like coilovers, find some stock springs, make sure the mounts are good, and your good to go.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got a full set of stock springs...cheap. PM me
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Several years ago, I absolutely ruined my car for about a year when I found a good deal on some Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs and then I decided to replace the shocks with the stock replacement Gabriel shocks from one of the chain parts stores. The ride was horrible, and it got to the point that I didn't like driving the car. The ONLY thing I liked was the look of the lowered car. It took me several months to put the funds together and for the parts to become available, but I spent the $1K on Strano springs and Koni shocks and I couldn't be happier. I can dial in a close to stock ride if I desire, or I can dial in a setting for much better handling and firmer ride if I desire and I still like the lowered look. If a car isn't lowered with the proper spring and shock combo, it can make life miserable IMO.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
Several years ago, I absolutely ruined my car for about a year when I found a good deal on some Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs and then I decided to replace the shocks with the stock replacement Gabriel shocks from one of the chain parts stores. The ride was horrible, and it got to the point that I didn't like driving the car. The ONLY thing I liked was the look of the lowered car. It took me several months to put the funds together and for the parts to become available, but I spent the $1K on Strano springs and Koni shocks and I couldn't be happier. I can dial in a close to stock ride if I desire, or I can dial in a setting for much better handling and firmer ride if I desire and I still like the lowered look. If a car isn't lowered with the proper spring and shock combo, it can make life miserable IMO.
This. Your car was probably lowered in some stupid way, cut/heated springs or bad quality ones like Eibach. Go with some quality ones and you'll get both the ride and the looks.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Launching!

i love my lowered T/A with the koni's and bmr springs rides very well and looks badass!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had eibach pro kit when I purchased my t/a. It looked great but drove horribly. Went with H&R sport kit and Koni yellow 4/4 and never looked back!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
As long as the front upper mounts are in good shape; oem springs and a front-end alignment.
Don't forget an adjustable Panhard bar.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

What kind of springs/shocks are on the car? What's with everyone bashing Eibach lol... tons of guys use the Eibach pro kit. They are good springs. Not the best, but not HORRIBLE omg.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
What kind of springs/shocks are on the car? What's with everyone bashing Eibach lol... tons of guys use the Eibach pro kit. They are good springs. Not the best, but not HORRIBLE omg.
I had em for a number of years.
After 2 or 3 years they sacked something fierce.
They suck...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
Don't forget an adjustable Panhard bar.
Not an absolute requirement. Just better to have.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

thank you for the info guys ill post some pictures of the job when i get it done
Old 10-22-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The LT1 pro-kit front springs are good, but the rear springs suck!
They tend to bend/sag and the initial spring rate doesn't ramp up quick enough, so the spring rate is to low for to long. Any way it basically means you'll be slamming on the rear bump stop a lot!
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MidknyteRacer
Not an absolute requirement. Just better to have.
What does a panhard bar have to do with how the front suspension sets , either raised / lowered or stock ?
Could that be the reason my car now sets higher in the front after a front brake pad replacement . All I know is they raised my car useing a frame lift and when I got my car back it sat at least 2 inches higher in the front ?
WHAT"S UP WITH THAT ?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE BIG KAHOONA
What does a panhard bar have to do with how the front suspension sets , either raised / lowered or stock ?
Could that be the reason my car now sets higher in the front after a front brake pad replacement . All I know is they raised my car useing a frame lift and when I got my car back it sat at least 2 inches higher in the front ?
WHAT"S UP WITH THAT ?
It doesn't have an impact on the front of the car.

It handles the alignment from left/right of the rear axle. sometimes lowering a car can push the rear end to one side, because the angle of that bar to the ground has changed.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Teching In

I did Koni's first with stock springs and the diff from stock shocks was day and night! I later added Strano Springs and not a prob at all. I love the way my car rides and looks.
Lower quality suspension will give you a shitty ride. When I was younger and broke I lowered my third gen with cheap parts and the ride was crap but it looked good!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

There was a trend to lower C-5's, but I resisted as mine was already scraping the front spoiler on driveways and even some roads. The loss of utility and the pain of hearing that tearing sound over a high pot hole or a speed bump was never worth the nice stance. Good luck raising it back up,sounds like there are some guys on here with parts to help you.

Quick Reply: sick of my car being lowered