Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SS suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS suspension upgrades

I just bought my SS convertible, and I'm already trying to figure out the best way to strengthen the suspension and give it a better ride. From what I have read, subframe connectors are a definite, but other than that what is the best? The car will not be raced, just a DD street car.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

SFC's aren't a bad idea.... but the key to a better ride are better shocks. Given what you state you want, I'd recommend SLP Bilstein's. I have them in stock, they are $379.99/set. I'm guessing what you don't like it the impact harshness (which is probably gotten worse since new, if you owned it since new, as the shocks wore), the floating/vague/sloppy feel when you drive at speed, and the rear end hopping and skipping over any sort of road imperfection? All shock issues.

SFC's stiffen the chassis, they are not suspension parts. While technically true a stiffer chassis makes whatever suspension you have work better, you can never make a car have no flex, and the suspension you have is what "sees" the impact first and that's your first line of action.

If you want the SFC's we have those too. I carry UMI, the 2 points are on my website, and they just released 3 point connectors for Convertibles and I'm working on getting those posted now.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for that info. That sounds great. Would I need new springs as well? I'm a complete noob with suspension stuff. Haha. I'm also considering lowering it a bit, only an inch or so. What would be the best for that?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welded SFCs are a MUST on the convertible -- they made a big impact, more so than on my coupe.

I noticed better cornering, better power transfer to the wheels, and a more rigid structure over adverse roads.

I did mine prior to adding Koni SAs. The Koni adjustably is a big flexibility win, and I would go that route, if you have the funds.

How many miles on the car? Check the front lower A-Arm bushings for cracks/separation/disintegration too, replace them if they are and get an alignment. This made a big difference in feel on my coupe when I did both.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car just turned 60k miles. I'm definitely going to do the subframe connectors and shocks. The car has a slight shake at about 40-55mph and it only happens sometimes and also, after hitting potholes it will kind of float a little bit. Thats the two things I am trying to correct. I plan on modding the car a little bit, but I want to make sure I have the suspension straightened out first.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ The shake could also be related to your tire condition (worn?), their lack of being balanced, and/or you need an alignment...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
The car just turned 60k miles. I'm definitely going to do the subframe connectors and shocks. The car has a slight shake at about 40-55mph and it only happens sometimes and also, after hitting potholes it will kind of float a little bit. Thats the two things I am trying to correct. I plan on modding the car a little bit, but I want to make sure I have the suspension straightened out first.
That's classic shocks.... The float is a lack of rebound damping, the shake is poor compression damping.

I take care of both things for you!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

All 4 tires are brand new. That sounds good, I'll be giving you a call soon. Is there any kind of package that would cover the shocks, springs, and SFC's? Also, I have seen the 3 point and 2 point SFC's, which is better for a convertible?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This is the first mention of springs...... I have springs we can discuss, but I don't know you need or want them necessarily. Certainly making the car stiffer and lower isn't what you'd do for the best ride quality, not that it's terrible when teamed with really good shocks, but it is a lot more firm. Note that firm is different than harsh. They often go hand in hand, but not always. German cars are firm, but not harsh.

If you are looking to stiffen the car, then 3 points offer just that much more resistance to flex as you are adding a 3rd point on each side, you are triangulating the bracing (think of a truss).
Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am considering lowering the car by about an inch, just to make it look a little better. The firmness of the ride doesn't really bother me, it is more the shaking and floating that is annoying. My main thing is I want something that will really help the current issues, but at the same time I want it to help the stance of the car while not making it too low. I drive it every day so driveways and parking garages are a must, if I decide to do long tubes I don't want to have to worry about my ride height destroying them.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got new shocks with stock springs still and the car rides ALOT better. You don't have to get new springs with your new shocks. Sam Strano is the guy to work with though. He helped me out with all my questions.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have any experience with driving a lowered SS? I'm worried that if I lower it at all i'm going to wind up scraping on everything. Especially my drive way, the last thing I want to do is have to scrape the exhaust everytime I come home/ leave for the day.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Honestly, the headers being destroyed is a header fitment issue not a suspension one. Some fit like crap and hang really low. I have a particular set of premium headers from StainlessWorks that tucks well and doesn't hang way low. I used them on my Z28 with my springs here in PA and had no issues meanwhile I drag the nose of a stock height Z06 everywhere.

A set of my springs is pretty well renowned to be one of the best sets you could do. They aren't super low (examples here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ring-kits.html), and if you are cruising around with some moderate handling the Bilstein's can deal with that at least for a year or two... but ultimately when you are talking lower stiffer springs the better the shock the better off you are over the long haul.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have riden in a lowered WS6 but never driven one.

I have TD's that hang fairly low I don't scrap much at all unless i've got passengers in the car. My driveway has a pretty good dropoff and just take it at an angle. Usually my headers hit before the exhaust. I have done the hose mod in rear and I'm on the lower notch on my konis.

Basically it depends on how you drive the car. I know every bump in my city and how to go over them. Just be a smart driver and you'll be fine.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, that sounds good. Well, if I do lower the car, what would be the best spring/ shock combination?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

there is no "best combo" out there. It depends on driving style, looks, performance etc...I bought konis because they are adjustable to my taste but thats just my opinion. talk with sam he'll get you exactly what you need.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just looked at the Strano lowering springs link, that you provided and it looks great. That seems like it would be a great way to go. Now just to decide what shocks I need.

Quick Reply: SS suspension upgrades