Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions On G2 Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Opinions On G2 Springs

Well, I have searched a lot the past few weeks about information on springs and shocks.

Is anyone using the G2 Super Springs? I like the fact that they lower the back end a little more than the front. They are around the same prices as most other springs. My car sees limited daily use, some drag and soon to see a road race event.

The add on LG Motorsports states that these springs can be used on the stock shocks. I was wondering if this is a good idea? I have 30,000 miles on the car, and I drive it about 3,000 miles a year. I am wondering if I should just swap the springs for now, and do shocks later? (Cost Reasons, budget spent this year.........)

Mostly I want to get rid of the fender gap, and improve handling. I am not opposed to a little harsher ride. I have SFC's, Adj PHB, LCA's, and a STB. I plan on doing Long Tube Headers next year with a Spohn Torque Arm. Is this going to be too low for that set up. I have heard that the Spohn TA that fits LT's hangs very low.

Any suggestions based in info about shocks? I am looking to spend about $700 total to upgrade the springs and shocks for this car.

Thanks,
Old 03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best damn spring out there, if you can find them.
Shocks are almost a must, though. Bilstein HDs for $350.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These aren't the "best damn springs" out there. Everybody has their own opinions and everybody drives differently.

Maybe for road racing/autox these are the top notch springs. I just swapped mine out. My car is a daily driver and these springs are very stiff. I see too many crappy roads and speed bumps to keep them on the car. The ride was just way to uncomfortable. They did handle very well I must say.

You will need to replace your shocks sooner or later. Sooner if you install the springs.

These springs do not work at the drag strip too well. Lowering the car with any springs won't help drag racing and much less the very stiff rates don't help either.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done installing my hypercoils last week, G2s are very similar except that hypercoils are progressive and that translates into a bit smoother ride. If I had to do it again, I wouldnt think twice in just getting the 2 front shocks first. That way your car will ride, handle better and you wont have to mess with the front for a long time. The rear is a sinch so dont worry bout it for now, till you have more money and can replace the rear shocks.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jd13
These aren't the "best damn springs" out there. Everybody has their own opinions and everybody drives differently.
Good point. I keep forgetting some buy for performance and some buy for look
Old 03-09-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, couple of questions:

What are the advatages to lowering/dropping my car? How does it affect daily driving?

What do different suspension parts do? ie panhard roll bar, swaybar, torque arm, etc.

Which SFC parts have clearance issues with Long Tube Headers? I'm considering either BMR (boxed or tublar) or the LG2 Motorsports.

What is an effective suspension combo for daily driving with maybe a trip to the track once a month? (ie bilstein shocks, LG SFC, BMR STB/PRB/SB, eibach springs, Edelbrock Xtreme Torque Arm, etc.) I ask effective because asking what is best is based on drving habit and $, unless I'm just weird.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lowering your car means lower center of gravity. Lower center of gravity means less body roll and weight transfer. Decreasing weight transfer benefits braking (assuming your brake bias doesn't throw things out of whack) and hampers acceleration (you aren't transfering as much weight to the drive tires)

There are numerous other suspension components that affect these things as well. Stiffer springs and swaybars decrease body roll as well. Stiffer springs dcrease weight transfer (swaybars don't impact weight transfer in either direction, however)

Most other suspension components primarily decrease unwanted deflection. Panhard bars and LCAs replace flexible stock pieces and provide more predictable and controllable response to input (whether it's steering, braking, or accelerating, or road input)

Shocks primarily control transitions and the springs. Springs have a nasty tendency to oscillate. This is bad for handling and vehicle control, so shocks damp these oscillations. The shocks also help (to a certain extent) damp roll transitions as well. They don't minimize roll any, but putting stiffer shocks on an otherwise untouched car can provide the perception of less roll as it essentially slows down the rate of roll, making it feel less severe. This can be most significantly felt in sudden left-right or right-left maneuvers.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like my G2 springs, but agree that they are too low and too stiff for a daily driven car.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, you've answered my questions. Now, what would be an excellent set up? I'm thinking of getting either LG2 everything or the 1LE kit from SLP, along with Bilsteins HD shocks and Eibach springs. Will this benefit daily driving or just track usage? Probably won't go more than once a month, as driving around here, not too many places to street race.

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Lowering your car means lower center of gravity. Lower center of gravity means less body roll and weight transfer. Decreasing weight transfer benefits braking (assuming your brake bias doesn't throw things out of whack) and hampers acceleration (you aren't transfering as much weight to the drive tires)

There are numerous other suspension components that affect these things as well. Stiffer springs and swaybars decrease body roll as well. Stiffer springs dcrease weight transfer (swaybars don't impact weight transfer in either direction, however)

Most other suspension components primarily decrease unwanted deflection. Panhard bars and LCAs replace flexible stock pieces and provide more predictable and controllable response to input (whether it's steering, braking, or accelerating, or road input)

Shocks primarily control transitions and the springs. Springs have a nasty tendency to oscillate. This is bad for handling and vehicle control, so shocks damp these oscillations. The shocks also help (to a certain extent) damp roll transitions as well. They don't minimize roll any, but putting stiffer shocks on an otherwise untouched car can provide the perception of less roll as it essentially slows down the rate of roll, making it feel less severe. This can be most significantly felt in sudden left-right or right-left maneuvers.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am getting the feeling that the G2 Supersprings are not going to work well for my summer driving, occasional track car. Hopefully Strano can help me, I sent them an E-mail with most of the info listed above.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam is going to suggest the Pro-kit, which I had before the G2 springs. They work well on an autox car with 275's, but are too soft for RR or the fat tire club.

The Pro-kit is the same ride height as the G2 springs on my car. With the pro-kit, the car has a tendency to push. It can be made to oversteer, but it prefers understeer. With the g2 springs, the car will not push, but can be a little tail happy. Soft rear shocks seem to help, and I am considering running the stock rear sway bar.

For a street suspension, consider this: 1LE front springs, stock rear springs, Koni SA's with the springs on the lower perch up front, remove the rear isolator and replace with heater hose, 35mm ST front sway bar, and either the stock 19mm rear bar or 21mm depending on preference. I would add either 1LE LCA's or tubular LCA's with a rod end and a poly end. For a PHB go with a poly/rod end like the LG.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would a 1LE suspension kit or a Bilstein suspension kit be more ideal for better daily driving? SLP told me that they're basically the same, except the 1LE comes with the Koni adjustable springs and lowers the car approx 3/4 in.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Launching!

My 2002 1LE is the same ride height as other stock height f-body's I've measured.

If you're never going to adjust the shocks, the Koni's are overkill.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Launching!

i have g2s and i love mine and im also running stock shocks till i get the money to get bilsteins
Old 03-17-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finding G2 Super Springs is the trick. They are on back order and have been for a LONG time. Finding a set of used ones is like finding a precious stone in a gravel quarry. And once folks get them, they hang onto them like an heirloom.

That should say plenty about their performance ...
Old 03-18-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That should say plenty about their performance ...

I must agree and say these are some of the best springs for handling performance. Good luck finding some.

Most people do hang on to them like gold, and for good reasons. I happened to get rid of mine like I mentioned earlier, only because I am not looking for all out performance at this time.

Honestly, you just seem to want to improve your handling some and to me, I don't think you need to go this extreme. There are plenty of other quality springs out there that will give you the look and handling you want. Most people runnings the G2 springs are hardcore autox/road racers.

Quick Reply: Opinions On G2 Springs