Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs sagging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano springs sagging?

I had my strano springs and koni combo on a full umi suspension. Recently I just replaced the front lower a-arms cause the old ones bent on the strut mount. Now that I have everything back together, I noticed that the driver's side sits a bit lower. The car is currently on ramps (front and rear) so that it is sitting level, and I measure the ride height on the front. The driver's side from the ground to the top of the wheel arc measures 32 13/16". The passenger side measures 33 inchs. Both rears measure 32 15/16". Should I be **** and change the springs or are these measurements fine?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

You even noticed 3/16's of a difference? My Vogtlands sagged and its almost half inch difference..
Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Launching!

I am just kinda **** about this kinda stuff, not a perfectionist by any means, but 3/16" seems like quite a big gap
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by some_punk
I am just kinda **** about this kinda stuff, not a perfectionist by any means, but 3/16" seems like quite a big gap
I think you are well within the margin of error for measuring heights. Even so, a sag of 3/16" is not a big deal.

I think there is medication now for OCD.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

I highly doubt that your springs, IF they were to sag at all, are sagging at different rates from side to side. And when you say "The driver's side from the ground to the top of the wheel arc measures 32 13/16". " do you mean wheel well/fender arc, or wheel? Either is not going to get you the measurement you are looking for.
Not to mention, your ramps could be 3/16 of an inch different in height. Or the tire.
WAY too many variables involved here. So in my mind, you are not being very ****.
Just enjoy it. 3/16 is nothing in terms of what you are talking about.
If you just have to figure it out, set the car back on the ground and take your measurement again. Or measure from center of hub/wheel to something. But careful measureing to fender. They could be aligned differently from side to side. Like I said, way too many variables here for you to be calling out that the springs have sagged.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it was fine before. You changed parts and after that the height has "changed"..... Wouldn't that indicate to you that it has something to do with what you changed???????

Furthermore it's not abnormal for a car to sit off-level. Think about it, the corner weights aren't exactly the same, but the springs and shocks, and wheels and tires are (presumably). Add 50 pounds to one side and of course that side will sit lower, as an example.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree above. If anything wouldnt the drivers side sit a tad bit higher to allow the weight of the driver to even it out. Thats how my car is at least.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it's bad. Call Sam and order a new set
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So have you got the front end re-aligned after changing the lower A-arms?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So have you got the front end re-aligned after changing the lower A-arms?
Haven't taken it in for an alignment yet, car is still up on the ramps as 1 of the wheel studs broke so I cant take it to get it aligned.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Seems absolutely normal to me under the given circumstances and the reasons Sam mentioned above.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my strano springs and koni combo on a full umi suspension. Recently I just replaced the front lower a-arms cause the old ones bent on the strut mount. Now that I have everything back together, I noticed that the driver's side sits a bit lower. The car is currently on ramps (front and rear) so that it is sitting level, and I measure the ride height on the front. The driver's side from the ground to the top of the wheel arc measures 32 13/16". The passenger side measures 33 inchs. Both rears measure 32 15/16". Should I be **** and change the springs or are these measurements fine?
Have you taken the car off the ramps yet and settled the suspension?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM
wrencher

Recently I just replaced the front lower a-arms cause the old ones bent on the strut mount. Now that I have everything back together, I noticed that the driver's side sits a bit lower.
Few things that stick out to me;
1 st of all what caused the lower arm to get bent?
Sure there's not other damage associated with that?

2nd 3/16" is not alot. But when the lower arm where replaced where they stock rubber bushing replacements?
Where the bushings torqued @ ride height?
Has the vehicle been driven & ride height checked?

Almost sounded like the front work was done & your measurements where made immediately after install?

3rd an alignment is definately in order...
Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
Few things that stick out to me;
1 st of all what caused the lower arm to get bent?
Sure there's not other damage associated with that?

2nd 3/16" is not alot. But when the lower arm where replaced where they stock rubber bushing replacements?
Where the bushings torqued @ ride height?
Has the vehicle been driven & ride height checked?

Almost sounded like the front work was done & your measurements where made immediately after install?

3rd an alignment is definately in order...
-The lower a-arms were the old design from umi, and it bent at the lower shock mount when I hit a pot hole.
-Umi replaced that for me once and alignment shop said it was okay.
-The new arm is UMI's delrin front bushing with rod end on the caster one.
- Yes the a-arm was torqued with suspension loaded

-No vehicle hasn't been driven, the car is still up on the ramps with all 4 tires on ramps, all the ramps are the same height and design. and it is on level ground.

Quick Reply: Strano springs sagging?