Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Now what. Shock help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Now what. Shock help.

The previous owner put in bilstein F4-B46-1913-H0 4 years ago. Would have been nice if he greased up the nuts.

I'm changing springs. Driver side worked out fine. Passenger side the nut and the rod kept spinning. Even with the impact gun. I even tried torching it. I ended up cracking the end of it when I tried to turn it with vice grips and an allen key. Seems like my only option now is to try and cut it off. Where in the world do I find a replacement for this piece? Little gay rod end is keeping my car off the road
Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sawzall on the shock shaft below the mount. Just cut it off and bite the bullet and get some new Bils.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I was in a similar pickle...driver's side nut was not corroded the least bit, but the passenger side literally crumbled when I took a socket to it. It was so rusted the shaft was unusable, so I had to replace them. The price difference between SLP Bilsteins and "stock replacements" at the local auto parts stores was negligible, and it made no sense NOT to get the upgrade.

Because of the rusted nut, I couldn't get the upper mount off and had to buy a new one at O'Reilly's. That sucked, $70.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just dont like the idea of buying new shocks when I got two perfectly good aftermarket ones just because of a Nut and thread.

Im gonna try a few things. I'm thinking my last resort might be trying to cut the nut off and rethreading the shaft. I only damaged like a quarter inch of the end of the shaft where the allen key recess is. So I still have enough length if I cut that off.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

i would try to use an air chisel (with the spring compressed) and try to work the nut loose. worst case is you chisel all the way through the nut and it comes off with minimal damage to the shock.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a tool you can get at oreilly's, idk what its called. But when I went in I asked for shock removal tool. It was like $14.00, it goes around the nut and holds the stem and you turn it with a socket. It took a five minutes compared to the 40 mins I was fudging with it at first. Trust me you'll be glad you bought it. And you wont damage anything.

Last edited by ls1ya; 10-17-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

The nut did back out a couple threads and then it got stuck again. I don't think I can use any specialty tools considering I cracked the end of the rod. I cut it off with a dremel. I went to Lowes and picked up some needle nose vise grips to try and grab the shaft and an air chisel if that doesn't work.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ha. I got it. Needle nose vice grips. Took some effort to get em down between the rubber boot and the bumpstop. Now I need a new nut and to fix this thread.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a picture of how I got it off if anybody reading this needs ideas on this bolt. I used a regular pair of vice grips to tighten the hell out of the needle vice. This way it bites into the rod and it wont slip. Little sanding after will take care of any burs.

This will only work if you managed to get the nut back off 4 or 5 threads and it got stuck again. I had a hell of a time getting the needle tips down there.

My rod threads are jacked up so I went and got a M10x1.50 hex die. I'm going to cut it in half (need the 4 hole one) so I can place it at the bottom of the thread and run it back up. Couldn't find any of those neat universal external thread repair tools locally and I cant wait for internet delivery I'll update how it turns out.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The threads were pretty messed up and I had to cut the end off cause I cracked it.

Getting ready to cut with a dremel. M10x1.50 Hex die

My custom made Strut thread repair tool. Ha

WD-40 for lube. Pressure on the bottom with one hand spinning it with the other.

No buying new struts for me!

Quick Reply: Now what. Shock help.