Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help please

I have a 99 z, and I'm not real familiar with suspensions but I want a smooth ride and I love my curvy roads. I want more of a pro touring setup I guess you could say. I don't really wanna drop the car any if can keep from it. The car is an a4 on 17in wheels. What do I need to do and parts and good brands.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We could definitely help you out here at BMR Suspension! The first things I would suggest if you are interested in more handling oriented driving would lowering springs, a good set of shocks, and sway bars. Picking a shock really depends on your budget, if you are looking for a more budget shock then you would want to look into something like the Tokico shocks. A more middle grade shock would be the Bilstein shocks and the best shock would be the Koni shocks. Our lowering springs are a awesome option as far as springs go and lower the car 1.25". Our sway bar kit is 35mm hollow in the fron and 25mm hollow in the rear and is a nice, affordable option that will really increase the handling of the car. If you were interested we could set you up with a custom package that will cover all your needs and be within your budget, just let us know.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension help please-sbp001r.jpg   Suspension help please-sp001.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Derek.

If you're not lowering the car we can work with the stock springs. You could add sway bars for starters. Since you're stock height, and if you intend to stay stock height, a non-adjustable PHB is very budget friendly and will keep it feeling solid.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ex&cPath=7_114

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=113

And just the ticket for a stock height daily driver, 3 point subframe connectors. For when you absolutely, positively, want to keep it feeling Pro-Tour-ish.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=197

Those three things should tighten up your car and give you a noticeable handling improvement.

Do you still have the original factory shocks? That's the pricing wildcard...

ramey

Last edited by UMI Sales; 12-14-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by derekatnip45
I have a 99 z, and I'm not real familiar with suspensions but I want a smooth ride and I love my curvy roads. I want more of a pro touring setup I guess you could say. I don't really wanna drop the car any if can keep from it. The car is an a4 on 17in wheels. What do I need to do and parts and good brands.
You don't have to drop it to get the car to handle well, and with stock springs you will get the best ride quality as well. The #1 biggest thing you need is good shocks hands down. Nothing will make a bigger difference, and nothing will compensate for lack of it.
Use the search feature, topics like this come up almost everyday.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good tires also help in the handling department.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Good shocks to compliment the factory springs,sway bars for the 'twisties,good tires.
Aftermarket LCAs' and Panhard with 'poly' bushing will help in the handling. Factory OEM LCAs' with the rubber bushings provide a more 'comfortable' and quieter ride. Aftermarket LCAs' with 'poly' bushings provide better handling,a less 'comfortable' ride,and more road noise and vibrations transmitted to the body.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Good shocks to compliment the factory springs,sway bars for the 'twisties,good tires.
Aftermarket LCAs' and Panhard with 'poly' bushing will help in the handling. Factory OEM LCAs' with the rubber bushings provide a more 'comfortable' and quieter ride. Aftermarket LCAs' with 'poly' bushings provide better handling,a less 'comfortable' ride,and more road noise and vibrations transmitted to the body.
LCA's and PHB do very little to help handling honestly.
And poly bushings are not what you want for handling, they can bind and cause snap oversteer and jittery behavior. Stick with either solid rubber bushings or UMI roto-joint.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Would aftermarket springs help handling even if they were stock height ? And about how much am I looking at for a complete suspension with konis ?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Also, everything is stock except a edelbrock torque arm :/ I'll probably be replacing that it came on the car
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
LCA's and PHB do very little to help handling honestly.
And poly bushings are not what you want for handling, they can bind and cause snap oversteer and jittery behavior. Stick with either solid rubber bushings or UMI roto-joint.
^ What he said. Don't buy into the marketing hype, you don't need to spend a bunch of money on an aftermarket panhard bar and control arms. Poly bushings are actually a downgrade from the factory rubber in the LCAs.

I would recommend either a set of Bilsteins if on a budget or Konis if you have some money to spend. Then look into a set of sway bars, Strano's bars seem to be the favorite around here...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys I think I got a pretty good idea on what I'm looking for. How hard is this stuff to install and do I need to adjust it?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 AM
FormerVendor

Hey derekatnip45.

Most of what we are talking about is bolt on with normal hand tools. Of course you'll need jack stands, ramps and a floor jack. Air tools help but you can squeak by with the manual method.

Our control arms and trailing arms come set to factory lengths. They should bolt on and be close enough to drive GENTLY to the alignment shop. Spring changes can get a bit tricky so you may want to read up on that before attempting.

If you go with the UMI setup we send detailed instructions with everything and are always a phone call or email away to help you get rolling.

The cool thing about suspension is it's additive, meaning you can work on a section and drive the next day. Then work on another section and drive. It's not like having an engine scattered across the shop...

ramey
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Pm sent hoping we can get a parts list set up as I plan on parking the car for awhile and modding during the winter months
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

On it derek! Thanks for the PM and for considering UMI.

ramey
Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys y'all have been real helpful I ended up with adjustable phb,konis,boxed sfc's,lowering springs, sway bar. I'll be placing my order after the first of the year with BMR thanks again Kevin and Ramey y'all both helped Alot!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys y'all have been real helpful I ended up with adjustable phb,konis,boxed sfc's,lowering springs, sway bar. I'll be placing my order after the first of the year with BMR thanks again Kyle and Ramey y'all both helped Alot!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by derekatnip45
Thanks guys y'all have been real helpful I ended up with adjustable phb,konis,boxed sfc's,lowering springs, sway bar. I'll be placing my order after the first of the year with BMR thanks again Kyle and Ramey y'all both helped Alot!
No problem Derek anytime you need help don't hesitate to get in touch with me. We look forward to doing business with you in the future.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Suspension help please