Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mods to handle better

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to handle better

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a Firebird and one of the first things I want to spend money on is handling and suspension upgrades.

What would be a good setup and what would I be expecting to pay for it?

I'm thinking:
Subframe connecters
strut tower brace
sway bars
lower control arms and relocation brackets
And maybe lower the car just a bit.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Is this street handling or are you going for competition handling?

Three things, shocks, springs and tires, will have you handling better. Better brake pads, and brake fluid if you're going to participate in competitive events.

The things you listed are propaganda, with the exception of sway bars (assuming you get the right sizes). Most of that stuff is aimed at drag racers, does nothing, or will make your car handle worse.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a Firebird and one of the first things I want to spend money on is handling and suspension upgrades.

What would be a good setup and what would I be expecting to pay for it?

I'm thinking:
Subframe connecters
strut tower brace
sway bars
lower control arms and relocation brackets
And maybe lower the car just a bit.
Shocks, springs, sway bars. These items are the biggest improvement for handling. Depending on your budget you can go mild with Bilsteins and Tokicos or go with what are considered the best direct replacement shock, Koni shocks.

Supporting mods:
Adjustable panhard bar, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, and lower control arms. (relocations are great if you're looking to add traction or reduce wheelhop)

These mods all serve a purpose and all help in their own way. The adjustable panhard will correct the length so the rearend can align properly after lowering. Subframes are absolutely 100% a necessity, IMO. I would never own an F-Body without them because my SS didn't have them for a while and got waves in the rear fenders.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with,
Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Shocks have to be #1 on your list. In fact of the list you posted, the only think on there that could be considered appropriate would be swaybars (not all bars, some aren't appropriate). Many folks want springs for numerous reasons, and they can and do help... but for my money shocks and a good set of swaybars are in many ways better bang for the buck if you don't care about lowering and do care about the best ride. Now, if you want the car lower and you can live with a firm ride (note I said firm, not terribly harsh which is more a shock problem) then of course springs are a strong consideration.

For me it's:

Shocks
Bars
Springs
Watts link

Then SFC's, STB's, LCA's, etc...

Why? Well, the majority of the issue are shock issue. Floating, disconnected, harsh hits, front and rear feeling as though they are connected through a rubber band (due to vastly different reactions to inputs), roll and pitch rate. In short, good shocks will ride better. The car will be more planted. It will take a set faster, it won't bob around, and it'll generate roll and pitch slower.... and make no mistake that alone makes many thing it's rolling and pitching less.

Bars and springs will actually cut the amount of roll and roll/pitch respectively, but not the rate/speed those things are generated.

FWIW, I've got both Bilstein and Koni in stock. I also carry Tokico and Edelbrock and a few others not worth mentioning. And my prices are pretty good. I have swaybars in stock, and you have to decide if you want or need springs.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Ok, gotcha. Yeah, the list I posted was just kind of an off the top of my head thing, not really in order.

So,
Shocks, Sway bars, Springs, Watts Link, SFC.

I don't think I'll be doing any drag racing for a while, and if I did I'll be upgrading the rear end first to an 8.8" or a 9" (I've heard those are good). Speaking of which, would this effect the Watts link? Does it attach to the rear diff in any way?

My main aim is improved street handling but I'd like to take it to a track every once in a while.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

What they said is dead on, but I will say that subframe connectors made a huge difference in the feel of my car. They add rigidity which not only helped a lot with traction, but made the car feel overall way more solid when handling. You really can't go wrong with any of the parts mentioned, but it all depends what you are looking for. Tubular pieces will make the car much stiffer so if you're looking to upgrade handling and maintain a stiffer but not jarring ride, start with the shocks/springs/swaybars and a nice set of wheels/tires. It will make a world of difference.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 216 Likes on 165 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Ok, gotcha. Yeah, the list I posted was just kind of an off the top of my head thing, not really in order.

So,
Shocks, Sway bars, Springs, Watts Link, SFC.

I don't think I'll be doing any drag racing for a while, and if I did I'll be upgrading the rear end first to an 8.8" or a 9" (I've heard those are good). Speaking of which, would this effect the Watts link? Does it attach to the rear diff in any way?

My main aim is improved street handling but I'd like to take it to a track every once in a while.
With regards to the watts link and replacement stick axles, it's best to call Jim Fays or Sam Strano. The Fays2 doesn't fit with fabricated 9's. Other axles may or may not, running in to clearance issues with the diff cover, not fitting on the axles tubes, or the axle vent is in the way of axle clamp (moser 9"). Some of these things can remedied in advance of ordering if you know what to ask for.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with Sam strano. He is there before and after the sale.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
What they said is dead on, but I will say that subframe connectors made a huge difference in the feel of my car. They add rigidity which not only helped a lot with traction, but made the car feel overall way more solid when handling. You really can't go wrong with any of the parts mentioned, but it all depends what you are looking for. Tubular pieces will make the car much stiffer so if you're looking to upgrade handling and maintain a stiffer but not jarring ride, start with the shocks/springs/swaybars and a nice set of wheels/tires. It will make a world of difference.
Have to go with that also, can't see the point in adding alot of nice upgrades without doing SFC's.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have BMR's handling package, which is pretty much what you listed on your first post. It definitely handles better.

I matched it up with Nitto 275/40R17 and BrakeMotive rotors and pads. I love the way the car handles!! you wont regret it!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blackjack325
I have BMR's handling package, which is pretty much what you listed on your first post. It definitely handles better.

I matched it up with Nitto 275/40R17 and BrakeMotive rotors and pads. I love the way the car handles!! you wont regret it!
Thanks, glad you're enjoying your parts.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!