Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed bmr springs rear sits lower then front!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installed bmr springs rear sits lower then front!

First off all I want to point out. This is not BMR's fault! I love how she handles with these springs!

My front end is sitting a tad higher then the rear. And am wanting a slight rake. Would removing the lower spring isolator. And wraping it in a hose drop it enough(and be safe)?
Or should I go with bmr lowering front control arms?

I am ordering new arms tonight or in the morning already.

Car has bmr w/ kyb shocks
Ac delete and fiberglass hood (pretty sure that's why the fronts higher )

I've shaved lbs. Through. Other misc parts
Its a 94 bird by the way

Please help!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do you think it's higher up front? If you could post a pic that would be helpful.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

From rim lip to appex of fender:

Front: 24 inches
Rear: 23 1/4 inches
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles have you put on the car after the install? It will take some miles for the front to settle. I have Strano springs and the rear sat perfect as soon as the tires hit the ground. When the tires hit the ground on the fronts, I thought the same thing. They will settle a bit over time. Some sit a little higher in the front even after some miles.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you perform the heater hose mod in the back? Just performing a swap from factory springs to our springs, the rear will usually sit a bit higher and the heater hose mod will level it out. If you haven't removed the rear isolator and it's still sitting lower, you must have taken a LOT of weight off the nose. haha

Our 1-inch lower A-arms lower the front almost exactly an inch, so that could possibly be too low for street driving. But, we do offer .5-inch shock spacers that raise the car almost exactly .5-inch. This would make your total drop approximately .5-inches from where you're at now and reduce unsprung weight.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

I put about 20 miles on the new springs. And I still have the stock isolators in the rear.

The passenger rear sits 7/8 inch higher then the driver side. So from the passenger side it looks ok

I would prefer not to drop it to far in front. I already have to use my low profile floor jack.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its to be expected when using springs copied from someone else's proven design

like ebay headers and replica wheels, the rip-offs are never as good as the originals
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Did you remove the front A-Arms or tighten them when you replaced the springs?

Do you have a considerable amount of weight in the rear?

Are you LS1 or LT1?

24-inches is actually lower than we normally see. I just went outside and measured one of our employees WS6 Trans Ams on Bilsteins and our springs. He is sitting at 26-inches up front and 26.5-inches out back. So, if anything, I think your car may be sitting lower.

Can you post pictures of the ride height? What other suspension mods do you have done to the car?
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and I hate to correct a BMR employee on their own product, but your shock spacers are .25" thick and will raise the front around 3/8". If you stack them or if they really are .5" thick, then they will lift the front closer to 3/4". I know this from actually handling the product and taking before/after measurements, real world stuff - not reading it off some memo my boss handed me
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by VinR1
Oh, and I hate to correct a BMR employee on their own product, but your shock spacers are .25" thick and will raise the front around 3/8". If you stack them or if they really are .5" thick, then they will lift the front closer to 3/4". I know this from actually handling the product and taking before/after measurements, real world stuff - not reading it off some memo my boss handed me
You can read our site.
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=506
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Did you remove the front A-Arms or tighten them when you replaced the springs?

Do you have a considerable amount of weight in the rear?

Are you LS1 or LT1?

24-inches is actually lower than we normally see. I just went outside and measured one of our employees WS6 Trans Ams on Bilsteins and our springs. He is sitting at 26-inches up front and 26.5-inches out back. So, if anything, I think your car may be sitting lower.

Can you post pictures of the ride height? What other suspension mods do you have done to the car?
I'm running double rod end rear control arms, double rod end panhard, SFC, adj. Torq arm w/ torq arm relocation crossmember.

I didn't mess with the lower control arm bolts. And I'm measuring from the rim lip not ground. Since I'm running a 315 rear and 275 front.

Ill go snap some pics for you real fast
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

sorry about pics. sun is hitting car bad right now. and jacks putting side skirts back on.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

its to be expected when using springs copied from someone else's proven design

like ebay headers and replica wheels, the rip-offs are never as good as the originals
not looking for a pissing match. both make great parts. im looking for help. and if you cant do so and only want to start crap. please dont post!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by MeanTA
I'm running double rod end rear control arms, double rod end panhard, SFC, adj. Torq arm w/ torq arm relocation crossmember.

I didn't mess with the lower control arm bolts. And I'm measuring from the rim lip not ground. Since I'm running a 315 rear and 275 front.

Ill go snap some pics for you real fast
OK, cool. Looks like there shouldn't be any issues there as long as you've got the panhard bar adjusted correctly for the lower ride height.

If you could, please measure from the ground, since it's a little more consistent since wheel sizes and lips are difference from wheel-to-wheel.

Thanks man. Since you're measuring from the lip, I don't think it's sitting too low anymore. I just knew that 2-inches lower than what we have on our car was way too low. haha Pics will be nice, either way.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fair enough

The front could be high if the springs aren't seated properly in the lower cups or the upper shock mounts...or if the upper a-arms are somehow mis-aligned. However, I seriously doubt both sides could be installed incorrectly but I have been wrong before

The rear being low could be due to the orientation of the springs - are both lower pigtails on the axle pointing towards the front of the car?

Besides different springs (not a different brand, just saying the ones you have might be tweaked), the fix would be a pair of 1" lower a-arms from BMR ($440 + shipping), may as well get a coupla pairs of shock spacers (2x$40), and have them installed plus an alignment. For the rear, start with a roll of 1/2" heater hose and do the hose mod on top and bottom WITH the isolators

Should give you the rake you're looking for..
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

From ground

26 rear
26 7/8 front

panhard is adjusted, ow and its an LT1(all hail the mighty LT1) had to put that in lol
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Fair enough

The front could be high if the springs aren't seated properly in the lower cups or the upper shock mounts...or if the upper a-arms are somehow mis-aligned. However, I seriously doubt both sides could be installed incorrectly but I have been wrong before

The rear being low could be due to the orientation of the springs - are both lower pigtails on the axle pointing towards the front of the car?

Besides different springs (not a different brand, just saying the ones you have might be tweaked), the fix would be a pair of 1" lower a-arms from BMR ($440 + shipping), may as well get a coupla pairs of shock spacers (2x$40), and have them installed plus an alignment. For the rear, start with a roll of 1/2" heater hose and do the hose mod on top and bottom WITH the isolators

Should give you the rake you're looking for..
Just noticed rear pig tail is pointed towards the rear on driver side! the front spings are seated right
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

If thats the case, jack up the car and let the rearend hang. Spin the springs away from the lower pigtail (this will keep the upper end seated in the isolator) until theyre both pointed forward
Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

i set the rear spring. and the car is still sitting the same.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, for the most part, LT1 cars tend to set a little lower so unless your chassis is tweaked, it may be the springs...not knocking BMR but perhaps see if they'll send you a different set and see if the issue is still there before spending $500+ on lowering the front further

Quick Reply: installed bmr springs rear sits lower then front!