Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

opinions on springs with bilstein shocks (pics requested)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions on springs with bilstein shocks (pics requested)

looking for good lowering springs. I had my mind set on strano, but a friend of mine has them with koni shocks and says they are stiff. i DD my car just bought brand new bilstein shocks and have umi adj phb,lca's. I dont mind it being a little stiff, i know my car isnt a bmw but i need it ti be tolerable. i was told to look into bmr springs. what other options are there, still leaning towards strano currently. woulf like pics of ride heigt as well
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
looking for good lowering springs. I had my mind set on strano, but a friend of mine has them with koni shocks and says they are stiff. i DD my car just bought brand new bilstein shocks and have umi adj phb,lca's. I dont mind it being a little stiff, i know my car isnt a bmw but i need it ti be tolerable. i was told to look into bmr springs. what other options are there, still leaning towards strano currently. woulf like pics of ride heigt as well
Koni's are adjustable. How "stiff" they are depends on where they're set at. Full soft isn't stiff at all. Springs contribute tremendously to how stiff or soft the ride is. Koni's are the most recommended and best solution for the common lowering springs, with the ability to tune reaction. Considering the rates of strano vs bmr at this point isn't going to give you anything of a substantial difference. Strano will help guide you to a solution that works best for you, and within your budget.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is a picture of an 02 T/A that has our BMR lowering spring and Koni shocks. This particular car drove really well and with the adjustability of the Koni shocks you have the ability to tailor the feel/ride of the car.
Attached Thumbnails opinions on springs with bilstein shocks (pics requested)-ws6_sp001.jpg   opinions on springs with bilstein shocks (pics requested)-ws6_sp001_2.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please keep in mind that my friend has koni's. i have the bilsteins, college kid cant afford koni's lol. Looking for best spring to run with the bilstiens.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall reading once on this site that bilstein shocks can be compared to konis on their softest setting. With that said I don't think you will have an extremely stiff ride or anything with the strano springs. I am going to be ordering springs and shocks in a few weeks and I am going with bilstein/strano

Last edited by udienow; 01-31-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

If you have no idea where the Koni's are set, then it's not a good data point. My springs aren't brutally stiff, in fact there are many other "common" springs that are stiffer. Thre are a lot of things that play into a "stiff" ride. Will a car on good lowering springs be firm? Yep. Harsh? No, not if the shocks are right and something else isn't screwing things up.

Sorry for the detail, but it's firm belief of mine that they matter. If you ask around I think you'll find most folks running a setup I recommend, as opposed to slapping something together maybe using my springs, are quite happy with the result. That's because I take the time to understand what it is you are looking for and make recommendations from there. Lowering springs aren't for everyone, that's the honest truth... but most folks don't mind firm. It's harsh that's bad, and that's the stuff I get and understand.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMRs aren't going to be any softer than Stranos. If you don't want a stiff ride but want to lower your car then cut a coil off your stock springs. I also have Bilstein shocks paired with cut stockers and it's not too stiff at all.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
please keep in mind that my friend has koni's. i have the bilsteins, college kid cant afford koni's lol. Looking for best spring to run with the bilstiens.
Our customers that use our springs have used them regularly with Bilstein shocks, Koni shocks, Tokico shocks, KYB shocks, and a few other less well known shocks. The BMR lowering springs together with the Bilstein shocks should have a pretty good ride without being too stiff.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: opinions on springs with bilstein shocks (pics requested)