Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

inner tire wear on lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default inner tire wear on lowered car

my car is lowered in the front and has serious tire wear on the inside. still have the tires from the previous owner installed. i ordered a new set of tires and i want to avoid from this kind of tire wear. would a simple alignment solve this issue or should i start looking into a caster camber plate? i have 2 different tire sizes so i obviously can't rotate them and the car does pull towards the right. i'm pretty sure an alignment would help this just thought i'd get some input from anyone having knowledge or the same experiences. thanks.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars are like the ladies, all react a little differrnt.
My SS is lowered 1 3/4 +/- around and have no problem with good alignment/tire wear
with stock components
Johnny
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Caster/camber plates" are for either Mustangs or possibly 3rd gen Firebird/Camaros.

Just get a good alignment. Inside edge tire wear is from either too much negative camber or too much toe-out.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Too much toe-out will cause most of the abnormal wear, IMO You have to be running over -1.5* camber before camber starts becoming a issue . I've ran -1.5* camber without any abnormal tire wear.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^agreed a good alignment will fix the problem but make sure you put on your new tires before you get it done and then youll be good to go.

did you change any other front suspension by chance? my ws6 was like that (i needed tires reguardless) but after the complete upper and lower adjustable a arms and sway i was a little off .... alignment = problem and camber fixed
Old 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. I lowered my car about an inch and didn't get an alignment, now the insides of my front tires are worn out. It also follows ruts in the road like a ****.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MJs1FastSS
^^^agreed a good alignment will fix the problem but make sure you put on your new tires before you get it done and then youll be good to go.

did you change any other front suspension by chance? my ws6 was like that (i needed tires reguardless) but after the complete upper and lower adjustable a arms and sway i was a little off .... alignment = problem and camber fixed
no, i haven't changed anything. i was needing tires regardless as well and figured a good alignment would fix the issue but i just wanted to be sure before i go to put the new set of tires on.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"Caster/camber plates" are for either Mustangs or possibly 3rd gen Firebird/Camaros.
i thought so. after talking with a buddy about i figured i'd come to tech and weigh my options.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened when I installed my poly suspension & the alignment tech at dodge had to borrow the special tool from his buddy at GM & it took him awhile to get it dead on since he never used the tool but the problem stopped
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

My stock car has done this from the factory, but wear is a relative thing... One person's "problem" is another person's "no-problem." These cars are also bound by the directional tires. Unless you purchase non-directional tires or re-mount them during their lives, (Both come with disadvantages.) you'll always have some uneven wear.

Can you post pictures of the current tires or post some measurements taken with a proper tread gauge?

Quick Reply: inner tire wear on lowered car