Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Full suspension on 02 SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full suspension on 02 SS

I have a 2002 camaro ss and i am looking to do suspension work on it but im not sure what what to get or where to get it? or what to start with?
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8urponieSS
I have a 2002 camaro ss and i am looking to do suspension work on it but im not sure what what to get or where to get it? or what to start with?
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Hey, good morning.

What do you plan to do with the car? Street/strip/auto-x/road course track day?

We did a build awhile back which may interest you.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro

Let us know your plans.

ramey
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

My biggest plans will be drag strip but the car is for the most part also my daily driver
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There are many avenues you can take, but it's much easier to strategize a mod list once we know your intended goals with the car.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 8urponieSS
My biggest plans will be drag strip but the car is for the most part also my daily driver
Excellent. Do you have plans to add any power to the car? Are you going to be running a street tire on a factory rearend or do you plan to change the 10-bolt down the road?

We offer plenty of street/strip options from your typical upgrades to your more all-out race parts that might be too aggressive for you since you daily drive the car. However, many people still run some of these parts without any issue because they are willing to tolerate some of the harshness and noises that can be introduced by changing out some rubber parts for polyurethane or rod ends.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Right now i have a cam and 4.10 gears. I want to change the factory 10 bol to a 12 bolt rear and i run on a nitto brag radial
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If your suspension is stock for now, this is how I would start you to get the most.
  1. Subframe connectors
  2. Lower Control Arms
  3. Relocation brackets
  4. Torque arm
  5. TA relocation crossmember

The first three items are going to be must haves, IMO. The lower control arms and relocations will help the car prevent wheelhop and the aggressive angle for the control arms will help the tire "bite" and get you out of the hole. The torque arm would be the logical next step to get the car hooking up and get you down the track.

Depending on how wild you want to get with it, I can suggest shock options, weight reduction, and tubular front pieces but these are the good starting points for the LS1 F-body and are what I did on the three I had to get me into the 11s and 10s with quick 60fts.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm searching for something here to sound brilliant but it would appear Kevin nailed it.

The only thing I can come up with is the decision between long and short torque arm. The transmission mount (actually relocated to beside-the-transmission) is good for street and mild strip while the tunnel brace mount tends to be for strip with occasional street. You can ride a little bit quieter with the trans mount T/A and still have decent forward traction. The tunnel mount introduces some cabin noise since it's "workin'" right beside you.

ramey
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Cool build Ramey... i can only wish for all that stuff... but some day...

to the OP, What shock/spring package you think you'll go with? I think i'm set on bilsteins and strano's springs.. though i hear that Monroe Sensatracs have a life time warranty, are pretty cheap and ride like my grandmothers old *** caddy... ohh and best of all ... MADE IN AMERICA....

Quick Reply: Full suspension on 02 SS