Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handle like a 911???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Handle like a 911???

I drove the 2012 911s today. While I can obviously feel that my car is faster. I've never been in a car that made me feel as confident in the curves. Is there anything that can make a TA handle like that. The guy told me $112000. I'm not sure I like it that much. Honestly, if I could put 4 grand into my suspension and make my car handle as well. I'd be satisfied.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
I drove the 2012 911s today. While I can obviously feel that my car is faster. I've never been in a car that made me feel as confident in the curves. Is there anything that can make a TA handle like that. The guy told me $112000. I'm not sure I like it that much. Honestly, if I could put 4 grand into my suspension and make my car handle as well. I'd be satisfied.
You need to be more specific... was it a 911 turbo, 2wd, 4wd? They make like 50 different 911's... If it's awd then those will always handle very different then rwd, no matter what you do.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula1996
You need to be more specific... was it a 911 turbo, 2wd, 4wd? They make like 50 different 911's... If it's awd then those will always handle very different then rwd, no matter what you do.
the 911s is a rwd. I think 385hp. The salesman said 400hp. They claim that the only differnce in the s and the turbo is overall speed and acceleration. I've heard that strano has beat some cars with strano springs and konis. I'm just not sure those cars were 911's .
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can make your car handle like a 911.
But it will cost a lot more than 4K...it's not just shocks and springs.

Here is my car in a nut shell and she handles like a Pcar.

Koni DA's
LG G2 springs
35mm hollow front sway bar
18 or 19mm rear sway bar
18 or 19 Fikse wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires 275/295 or 295/315
Brembo 6 piston front brakes on 15" rotors
Watts link
full tubular UMI everything
Recaro seats
lose as much weight off the car as you can possible stand
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
the 911s is a rwd. I think 385hp. The salesman said 400hp. They claim that the only differnce in the s and the turbo is overall speed and acceleration. I've heard that strano has beat some cars with strano springs and konis. I'm just not sure those cars were 911's .
Watch this vid, you see a 911 GT3 toward the middle/end, and you see him pace then pass it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE
Keep in mind thats pretty much a street Camaro, no chassis mods or weight reduction. Simple bolt in suspension. Some try and say "race car" but that setup is completely street able and arguably more comfortable than stock (thanks to the Konis).
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...fications.html
With the proper suspension mods these cars are very stable and can handle very well, but you wont get the same feel of a rear engine, short wheel base, IRS porsche, but that doesn't mean you won't out handle one...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice vid
looks more like they were just playing around with other
on the course more so than he actually passed the GT3
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Watch this vid, you see a 911 GT3 toward the middle/end, and you see him pace then pass it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxe1lHIxuE
Keep in mind thats pretty much a street Camaro, no chassis mods or weight reduction. Simple bolt in suspension. Some try and say "race car" but that setup is completely street able and arguably more comfortable than stock (thanks to the Konis).
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...fications.html
With the proper suspension mods these cars are very stable and can handle very well, but you wont get the same feel of a rear engine, short wheel base, IRS porsche, but that doesn't mean you won't out handle one...
With track days its 95% driver 5% car so showing x car passing y car is pointless. You're never going to turn an f-body into a 911 due the the vastly superior chassis and suspension on them.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
With track days its 95% driver 5% car so showing x car passing y car is pointless. You're never going to turn an f-body into a 911 due the the vastly superior chassis and suspension on them.
Yep. That is entirely true. All we can do is hope to get as close as possible, which would include a hefty list of parts to be honest.

Building a street car to out-handle a 911 is extremely difficult. However, when it comes to building a track car that can negotiate a track quicker, that's when the advantage can lean toward the F-Body because of the tire it can run. Grip is the F-Bodies friend. (Then again a Porsche on a race slick is disturbingly fast, but let's talk stock.) Building an F-body for road racing is about playing to its advantages over the Porsche, which would be power potential and grip. You can get the car to have perfect power where you want it and run massive 295 tire up front and a 305/315/325/345 tire out back...yeah, these cars can get some crazy tires sizes under them. Building the car to balance around your tire can turn your car into something quite ferocious out there, but as far as getting a car to perform to the same level as a Porsche on the street using street parts would be quite hard.

If you're interested in getting the car to hook up better on the street or the track, I would be more than happy to help you get the parts you'll need in a package. We can also discuss the brake and tire options that are available to you.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Getting to match a 911 will be tough, but making the stock 4th gen handle MUCH better is a walk in the park. There's some simple guidelines to go by. I'd search on Sam Strano's posts and see what he's recommended.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

In my opinion, you will never be able to out perform the car. However, you can out perform the driver. I've done it several times on courses and tracks.

I've even put C5 vettes to shame by 2+ seconds on a 60 seconds course....in an s-10 extended cab truck! 90% of it is the driver. I've seen amazing drivers in crappy cars still do amazing things. (Think Ford Tempos and such, no joke).

Trying to get your car to feel (handle, steer, input) like a 911 will be nearly impossible. However getting these cars to feel confident, predictable, and race worth is possible.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

The weight distribution of a 911 compared to a F-body will always make the two cars *feel* quite different. So you'll potentially get close, but ultimately no cigar.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Trying to get your car to feel (handle, steer, input) like a 911 will be nearly impossible. However getting these cars to feel confident, predictable, and race worth is possible.
It will be impossible to make it handle exactly like a 911. The physics behind it just won't add up. A 911 is rear engine and an F-body is front engine so the vehicle dynamics will always be different no matter what you do because of the different weight distributions. I have no doubt you can make these cars handle well enough to keep up with a 911 though (or even pass).

And the 911 range includes the 4, 4S, and turbo which are all AWD cars. They have 2wd versions to, I think it's just called the carrera, and carrera S. They also have the GT2 and GT3. I can't remember what the differences are between those. As I said they make like a million different 911's, and if the one you drove was awd then you really won't be able to make it handle the same.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightweight rims
Wide sticky tires
Watts Link
An educated apring/shock combo
3 point subframe connectors
weight reduction
Tubular front a-arms (weight reduction/added strength)
strut tower brace

^that would be a good start...
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 69TA
nice vid
looks more like they were just playing around with other
on the course more so than he actually passed the GT3

Clearly I could not run with him on the straights, but I more than did in the corners. And got too close for my comfort under braking (when he then bailed for the pits). FWIW, he was on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups too, not just normal street tires. I was on Hoosier R6's which are nowhere near as sticky as A6's I autocross on, and similar to the Pilot Sport Cups he had.

As for the budget, and how the car can work. It'd be hard for me to spend $4k unless you were hell-bent on a set of KW's over some Koni's and my springs (which what I was running in that video). And yes, I've embarrassed more than a few exotics, even with very good drivers in them. In fact typically the Camaro would run the same times, occassionally better than C5 and C6's like Z06's and Corvettes. What's more is that I have a C6 Z06 in mostly stock trim, and the Camaro was easier to drive fast on the backroads than the Corvette is.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
This +1,000.

Your car will never "feel" like any 911, but you can still definitely build it to tear up on Auto X!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Agree. That's the bottom line in this issue. A 911 will always be a step ahead.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got it. I probably need two different cars iLife the way my ta launches.it feels as if its about to take off with the stock springs. The 911 was definitely slower in the straights but immaking 427/415. I'll try to post a pic I think the car was 2 wd.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Vastly superior chassis and suspension huh? Struts, and the engine hung out the back? Yeah, not a physics ideal. Porsche has dedicated themselves to making it work. But you'll notice they have other cars that aren't rear-engine too.

An F-body isn't a 911, a Corvette is closer. But you can do pretty amazing things with one, if you know what you are doing (and have enough time and money to spend, just like Porsche did).
Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Sam - have you ever messed with often overlooked areas of driving characteristics, such as bumpsteer, and tested differences between different settings?

What about corner balancing and weight distrubution? (F-Body specific on this one)
Old 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, of course. I do setup my autocross cars, I own scales, etc.

Bumpsteer is not a big issue on these, unless you slam the car. Even then bumpsteer always exists, you only change the degree of it. Here's one that few consider... you also have to modify the ball joint height too, or you get worse bumpsteer. I don't use bumpsteer kits.

Weight distribution. Not much you can do here unless you start adding a lot of weight to the back, or somehow take a lot from the front.

Corner weighting. If you have coil-overs you can corner weight. But the corner weights on the car aren't horrible even stock.

Quick Reply: Handle like a 911???