Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anybody DD a Tunnel Mounted TQ Arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody DD a Tunnel Mounted TQ Arm?

Well guys if you do DD a Tunnel Mounted TQ Arm have you noticed a decrease in traction under heavy braking or decreased handling? I accidentally ordered the wrong setup. I had no idea that the short one was more leaned towards drag racing. Eventhough i have never been to a road course i would like to try it out sometime. Is this TQarm style gonna ruin it for me? Most times i go to a track its a drag strip so it will help there but i DD this car and would say its a 70% - 30% street to drag duty. And i am a very "spirited" street driver in DD mode and want the car to handle very well. Did i mess up guys?

Last edited by 99 Blue Bird; 02-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Send it back and get what you want. Lots who go back to driving on the street go back to a full length arm because the short arms can be extremely harsh on the street. You'll likely get a million opinions but that's mine
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Send it back and get what you want. Lots who go back to driving on the street go back to a full length arm because the short arms can be extremely harsh on the street. You'll likely get a million opinions but that's mine
Yea I thought about it but I don't want to pay to have it shipped back. I'll eventually turn the car into a drag only car but I just don't want it to be a huge problem right now while I'm DD'ing the car. I guess I'll just have to see what's gonna happen.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Does a short arm really make that much of a difference as far as ride quality?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the stock length torque arm with a torque arm relocation crossmember. The main thing that causes a difference in handling is the torque arm's ability to twist when the rear end articulates. With a tunnel mount torque arm, the front mount does not rotate, whereas the stock length is round and fits into a round bushing. Imagine taking a very hard sharp corner, and the suspension articulating, the torque arm will cause a bind with the tunnel mount.

The adverse effect on braking is due to instant center, which I do not fully understand yet.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I do not own a short arm, and likely never will. But a lot of the guys I talk to say the noise and vibes being transmitted are not fun at all on the street. These are guys that go the track regular and have had dumped exhausts etc. So I happily accept their unbiased opinion. Basically if you don't NEED the short arm, don't get it.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Many years ago I had one of the first Jegster chassis mount TQ arms. It would make a few audible noises but it was not bad.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The short torque arms are very streetable. The only downfall is in some cases they can increase vehicle noise, but some people don't notice it as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on which one you went with, shorter torque arms will all increase interior noise to some degree - even a relocated stock arm will increase noise because you're eliminating a sound isolating bushing. That is the only difference in actual ride you'll find while your run a short torque arm on the street.

I daily drove with the XTA001 on my SS for about 5 years and didn't really bother me. Braking performance was indeed hindered by the shorter arm, that's just physics, but it wasn't a dangerous problem that prevented me from braking safely in an emergency situation. However, in some scenarios, you could come across a problem with the shorter arm when you try to autoX or road race where you'll be hard on the brakes more frequently and notice the difference.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

i appreciate all the insight guys. ill just have to see what heppens when i put it together.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The short torque arms are very streetable. The only downfall is in some cases they can increase vehicle noise, but some people don't notice it as well.
This! I have a short arm and I like it a lot. It's not that bad noise wise you get use to it pretty quick. I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lethal bird
This! I have a short arm and I like it a lot. It's not that bad noise wise you get use to it pretty quick. I don't even notice it anymore.
cool. so how would you say your cornering abilities are?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I did the same thing and accidentally got the short arm without realizing the impacts on doing autox or road courses. I will have to disagree withe the BMR rep and say that hard braking caused a very dangerous situation for me on multiple occasions on the track. It caused the rear to wheel hop under hard braking before going into a turn. I nearly went off the track sideways a couple of times. I went back to thet track with a normal length arm and had no problems. Do some research on the mounting points for these too. You'll find for those guys that have run them long term that they will destroy the mounting points and will eventually require reinforcement or at the very least some repair welding. The tunnel brace mounting points were never designed to bear the load of a torque arm.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula1996
I did the same thing and accidentally got the short arm without realizing the impacts on doing autox or road courses. I will have to disagree withe the BMR rep and say that hard braking caused a very dangerous situation for me on multiple occasions on the track. It caused the rear to wheel hop under hard braking before going into a turn. I nearly went off the track sideways a couple of times. I went back to thet track with a normal length arm and had no problems. Do some research on the mounting points for these too. You'll find for those guys that have run them long term that they will destroy the mounting points and will eventually require reinforcement or at the very least some repair welding. The tunnel brace mounting points were never designed to bear the load of a torque arm.
Well I did say that you will only have a problem with it if you're road racing or autocrossing. You will not experience the rear axle hop under normal driving conditions or normal braking you experience on the road. It's only in cases where you are hard on the brakes such as threshold braking in road racing. We get calls all the time about people who are convinced the short torque arm will instantly turn their car into a uncontrollable machine on the road. haha Not the case. I agree, normal length is the only way to go if you're not building a drag car.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

well the good news is i called to talk about this and the order had not shipped already so i was able to switch my order to the Torque Arm Relocation Bracket.

i know i do want to eventually switch my car to a drag only setup. but right now while i am DD'ing the car i think its best not to have a short torque arm cuz i do "DRIVE" this car on a regular basis hard around turns and am tough on the brakes. so im glad i was able to change my order. thanks UMI for the great service and i apologise for all the hassel. and thanks everyone for the insight.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a short tunnel mount TA with my Midwest 9" rear and ditched it for the long arm. For starters, there is a lot more noise and vibrations felt in the seat with the short arm plus it broke one of the tack welded mounts of the bottom of the floor and I dont even race.

Went with the long arm recently and the noise and vibes are greatly reduced plus the design is simply more robust since it attaches to the tranny mount instead of the floor.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

for you guys running the tunnel mount TA with DSSL, does it hit the exhaust? my buddy with lt's and ory said his spohn tunnel mount TA with DSSL hits his exhaust? i find that extremely annoying for a part im about to pay $400 for...
Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine doesn't
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

ok theres one person lol anyone else?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

My umi one dont hit either.

Quick Reply: Anybody DD a Tunnel Mounted TQ Arm?