Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1LE Koni yellow adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1LE Koni yellow adjustment

I have a 2002 camaro SS with 1LE package. I want to adjust the compression on the rear shocks but I cant figure out how to. In the front there is a **** that I can turn with a screwdriver and it clicks into 12 different positions. In the rear there is the same **** but the center is different and seems to be just a rubber piece. I think it may be a cover or something but I am worried about damaging the shock if I try to pry it off.

btw, I am not the original owner and I don't have the factory adjustment tool and card. I think the adjustment tool is just for rebound though.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say you adjust your front shocks by using a ****?

I have the Koni DA(Dual Adjustable) and I have to take off the front tires and have to use an allen wrench to stick into a hole at the top portion of the body of the shock and have to "sweep" from left - right or right - left to either stiffen it up or make it softer, and there's another adjust at the bottom of the body of the front shock for another adjustment, but I never adjust the bottom portion.

the rears I had the Koni DA(Dual Adjustable) as well, and in order to adjust I adjust it right from the top of the shock using that funky plastic dial, I get to the top of the shock by putting the rear seat down and there were perforations in the carpeting which allow you to easily cut through the carpet, you would have your carpet cut looking like a LED "C" letter, but no curve, 2 horizontal lines and one vertical, you would then cut the carpet at the perorations and the opening will end up being exactly over the top of the rear shock and that's where you adjust.

If you need pics let me know?

When I replaced my rear shocks the installer cut the carpet for me, they had to in order to install the shocks, easy access now.

But I was "advised" that there are pre-set perforations in the carpet behind the rear seat that you can see where you need to cut the carpet, least that's what my mechanic told me.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Teching In

I think the top adjustments are for rebound and the adjuster on the bottom of the shock is for compression. I ended up pulling off the plastic caps on the bottom of the back shocks and it works with a screwdriver with 12 clicks from soft to firm.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Teching In

What settings do you use for your rebound? I am wondering if the rebound should be set the same as the compression.
I dont race my car I just drive on nice days to work or on weekends. I currently have the compression set for 1/12(softest) all around and it made a big difference in ride but I think I need to match the rebound with compression. I probably will put all of them on 2 or 3 out of 12 for a good balance of ride/handling.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Teching In

I tried to adjust my rear rebound on top of the shock but I am not sure how to. Here is a picture of the top of the shock:

How do I adjust it?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I think I screwed up my shock. I turned the small top metal piece on the shock thinking that would adjust it. It turned easily and some oil started leaking out. Do you know if the plastic dial tool turns the very top part or the bolt part?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Teching In

I found some other threads on diffferent forums. It seems like slight seapage can happen when adjusting since they can be overfilled from factory.

The other thing I wnat to know is if they can be adjusted when compressed(car on the ground) or should I have the car on jack stands to let them decompress??? Does anyone have the instruction card that came with them???
Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
What settings do you use for your rebound? I am wondering if the rebound should be set the same as the compression.
I dont race my car I just drive on nice days to work or on weekends. I currently have the compression set for 1/12(softest) all around and it made a big difference in ride but I think I need to match the rebound with compression. I probably will put all of them on 2 or 3 out of 12 for a good balance of ride/handling.
Generally speaking you usually want more rebound than compression (depends on setup and driving style though). If you have some added unsprung weight like heavier wheels/tires, brakes etc. then you may want to up the compression. If you have stiffer springs, or want more control, feel, or stability then you may want to up the rebound. Its personal preference, try driving around on full soft and turn up from there and see if you like it better, you will likely stick with a lower setting in the rear, and a higher rebound setting in the front.

The other thing I wnat to know is if they can be adjusted when compressed(car on the ground) or should I have the car on jack stands to let them decompress??? Does anyone have the instruction card that came with them???
Yes, the version of the shock you get can be adjusted when on the car.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I adjust all 4 rebound and compression to softest. Had some seepage in rears but stopped after i adjusted them. Also, had to use mirror for front to see where rebound adjustment was.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the help. I adjust all 4 rebound and compression to softest. Had some seepage in rears but stopped after i adjusted them. Also, had to use mirror for front to see where rebound adjustment was.
For front I would probably start around the middle setting, although I don't know if the DA's have the same amount of rebound settings as the SA's.
Why did you have to use a mirror? Is the adjustment window not centered?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
For front I would probably start around the middle setting, although I don't know if the DA's have the same amount of rebound settings as the SA's.
Why did you have to use a mirror? Is the adjustment window not centered?
I figured I would start with softest settings and work my way up based on how it drives

It's not centered it is pointing forward on the drivers side and backward on the passengers side. On both sides the coil blocks view of it.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I increased stiffness from softest and I found that the best combo of ride/handling is at 4/12 all around for rebound and compression.
So, fronts are 4 clicks compression and 4 1/4 turns on rebound
rears are 4 clicks compression and one full turn rebound.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Default koni double adjustable

on my 99 trans am i had my koni da set front 8 clicks, 8sweeps from soft and rear 2-3clicks and 1/2-3/4 turn from soft. i felt this gave the best ride to handling feel, and had awesome traction too boot.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rholdcroft99
on my 99 trans am i had my koni da set front 8 clicks, 8sweeps from soft and rear 2-3clicks and 1/2-3/4 turn from soft. i felt this gave the best ride to handling feel, and had awesome traction too boot.
That sounds like a big difference front to back although I can see how the front could be stiffer. Maybe I will try increasing stiffness in the front to about 6-8. The rear at 4 seems ok for ride quality so I think I will leave it at 4

Quick Reply: 1LE Koni yellow adjustment