Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heavy vibrations after 65+ | Noisy rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heavy vibrations after 65+ | Noisy rear

I know **** about suspension, so I have no idea where to start. Car has 250K+ miles; not much has been replaced (that I know of). Basically the car has a shimmy at 65MPH+, worse when going faster. Its the same at speed, decel, or accel. I can actually see my hood shake, then feel it on the steering wheel, then seat. So it seems like a consistant on and off shimmy, until 75+ which is constant. Where do I start?

Also, the rear end is noisy as all hell. Almost like a whir sound, but consistant. Again, no idea where to start. Sounds just like the V6 camaro I had, changed axles and bearings and never made a difference. Dont want to waste my time on fixing something that is going to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcyjVoGob3E

TIA

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 03-16-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

No one?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Someone out there has to have a clue. TTT
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick checklist for you..is your tranny mount broken? Is your driveshaft properly balanced? Do you have a wheel that may be bent? Do you have an adjustable torque arm,maybe your pinion angle is off? If you have a stock torque arm,is it broken or bent anywhere? Maybe replace your rearend bearings (or get a 9" or 12 bolt)? And the noise could very well be the common gear whine..this actually sounds right like the problems I'm having with my 12 bolt but I haven't gotten around to getting it rebuilt yet!! It's something that you're almost going to have to replace some of the most obvious things and see if it makes a difference!! Good luck..
Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sams02Z28
Just a quick checklist for you..is your tranny mount broken? Is your driveshaft properly balanced? Do you have a wheel that may be bent? Do you have an adjustable torque arm,maybe your pinion angle is off? If you have a stock torque arm,is it broken or bent anywhere? Maybe replace your rearend bearings (or get a 9" or 12 bolt)? And the noise could very well be the common gear whine..this actually sounds right like the problems I'm having with my 12 bolt but I haven't gotten around to getting it rebuilt yet!! It's something that you're almost going to have to replace some of the most obvious things and see if it makes a difference!! Good luck..
Tranny mount is a new energy suspension (humps removed and no preload plate). I have no idea if the DS is balanced; how do I do this? Im in doubt of a bent rim, had that before and it was much worse. Suspension is 100% stock, so no adjustable TA. I had just pulled the tranny four or five times, no noticable damage to the TA when it was out. Which bearings in the rear? Ive only done axles and axle bearings. No idea where or how to do any others. Think changing the axle bearings will help? Changed them on the old V6 and they were destroyed (including the axles), made no difference.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

The ring an pinion bearings could be bad..and the driveshaft you can get done at some shops,you'd have to check in your area,or get it sent somewhere!! That would definitely be something I would check into..along with new U joints!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I now know the axles and axle bearings are toast. Oil all over the passenger rear wheel.

Do you think I could get away with replacing the axles, axle bearings, differential and pinion bearings?

What is the ring bearing?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

I'm sorry,i stand corrected..the differential bearing is what I was referring to wen i said ring bearing!! An yes IMO while your doing some of them you might as well do them all!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say if you haven't done so yet take the time and replace all the front end parts you can.

Is the sound in your video only from the rearend or does the front end make noise too? Is the video accurate on how loud it is? Can't talk on the phone loud?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sams02Z28
I'm sorry,i stand corrected..the differential bearing is what I was referring to wen i said ring bearing!! An yes IMO while your doing some of them you might as well do them all!
Got it! But do you think I can get away with just replacing the bearings, or should I look at replacing it with a used rear? Remember, it does have over a quater million miles.

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I would say if you haven't done so yet take the time and replace all the front end parts you can.

Is the sound in your video only from the rearend or does the front end make noise too? Is the video accurate on how loud it is? Can't talk on the phone loud?
No sound from the front end at all. All of it from the rear. The sound is louder than in the video; obviously even worse as the bearing got closer to 100% failure. I can talk on a cell but I am very loud when I do; and I cannot talk to anyone in the back seat.

My question now is; do I need to buy a used rear, or could I get away with just replacing the bearings and axles? Worried if the diff is done for.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile and building it up you probably wanna do it right and just get a good aftermarket rear,if not I think you should be fine just replacing your bearings (you can get a differential bearing kit for right around a $100 from Texas Speed) ,although depends how bout they were for an extended period of time you might have to replace axles etc!!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Assuming the tires are good, get the tires road force balanced then get back to us (simple spin balance wont always find tire vibrations).
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well a new aftermarket rear would be nice. I wish I had one myself.

I would think you could find an entire rear end (OEM) at a junkyard or craiglist/ebay. Just gotta weigh your options.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
Well a new aftermarket rear would be nice. I wish I had one myself.

I would think you could find an entire rear end (OEM) at a junkyard or craiglist/ebay. Just gotta weigh your options.
Been looking at the JYards past two weeks. Problem is; 4 channel.

Discovered pass bearing is toast and axle is fairly worn. Driver side not far off. So its a complete rear or axles and bearing set.

Quick Reply: Heavy vibrations after 65+ | Noisy rear